Just throwing some ideas out there...

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Post by silverskull »

So I've been wondering about a few things. I've had some ideas, but I have no idea whether they'd be feasible or not as I'm not familiar with how the server works. They're probably not, but I'm curious.
  • External access to the messaging system. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to receive in-game messages on a smartphone? Maybe have a web-based inbox? It would expand the messaging system into the real world, so you wouldn't need to be logged in to chat with other players... sort of like a PSO email system.
  • External account info viewing. Let's say... you have a forum and you want to link players' accounts with their profiles. This would give access to their guild card number, their current equips, etc.
And of course if this server supported BB I'd add external team chat in there too.

Again, I have no idea if any of these are even possible, I just figured I'd throw my ideas out there and see.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Just throwing some ideas out there...

Post by BlueCrab »

Ideas are always good, even if they seem like they'd not be possible. They just force me to figure out creative ways to make them happen if I really like them. :P

Anyway, on to your specific ideas... Its theoretically possible to set something up such that you'd be able to chat outside the game. The only problem with this is that it'd be a mess to those in game (since any messages would likely show up like NPC messages (and thus wouldn't have any way of identifying easily who sent them)). This is more of a limitation of the game itself than the server. However, it would be possible to have an email like system built on top of the simple mail system in the game. It'd be limited, but possible. It'd also be possible to have the server save any simple mail that is sent to you while you're not online so you could view it on the website or something like that. I was actually considering implementing something like that in the future (although, its not high on the priority list right now).

The problem with the second idea is that the server doesn't have any idea about character information unless you're online. Even then, only the ship server that you're on knows about it (and the ship server itself doesn't have access to the database to store anything). Having it so you could see your current character's information while you're actually online should be possible, but it would probably not be very pretty to implement. I'll keep the idea around, but I won't promise anything any time soon. :wink:

External team chat would probably be easy to do, since that looks/acts more like an IRC like thing than normal chat in game. Of course, that requires BB support, which I'm not reimplementing any time soon, likely. :wink:
silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by silverskull »

It wouldn't be possible to link a message coming from outside the game to an existing account? The Sylverant website already keeps track of which SN/AK combinations belong to which character, so it seems you'd be able to tell who sent it that way.

Also, speaking of BB support, while I know reimplementing it isn't planned for the time being... is it possible to add BB ships to your shipgate? I mean, Tethealla has decent BB support, and even if your ship server can't support it, having BB ships on the same shipgate would go a long way towards unifying servers.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

It might be possible to deal with chat messages without the client being in the lobby, but at the same time the game may not like it very much. I'd have to look into it...

With regard to BB support, if someone wanted to make a BB-supporting ship work with my shipgate, more power to them. It'd be very difficult to do at this point though. The ship<->shipgate connection doesn't have any sort of standard amongst servers, so Tethealla and Sylverant do things very different at this point (even though Sylverant used to be just a fork of Tethealla long long ago).
silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by silverskull »

Ah! Sorry, I didn't really clarify... that's Simple Mail I'm referring to.

And I wasn't aware the ship-shipgate connection wasn't standard, never mind that then.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Simple mail would definitely be possible to do from the website to the ships. That wouldn't be particularly difficult to implement, and its actually something that I had planned on doing at some point in the future (as I said in my first post in this topic).
silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by silverskull »

Alright, wasn't sure if that's exactly what you meant in your first post there.

If/when you ever try to implement that, you may want to make an API for it so third-party developers could build on it.

Also, just to throw another idea out there along those same lines... linking multiple accounts so a message to one gets sent to all perhaps?