Pc & Gc cross-platform games works great!

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pc & Gc cross-platform games works great!

Post by shadowrod »

Hey BlueCrab,

Just to inform you that the Pc & Gc, cross platform games works even better than in schtserv. I joined the game myself in Gc with another character of mine in Pc, using those commands /allowgc and /showdcpc and I could even trade items (by droping) which FSODs game sometimes in schtserv. Anyway It didn´t happen in your server.
Also tested the quest "Global Warmth" in cross-platform and worked fine. The only thing is that in pc i fought monsters that in gc weren´t visible. Is there any way to correct it or its just due to map and enemy drop locations differences beetween versions?And about the quests? Do you intend to make some more pc quests compatible with gc?
These new commands for allowing gc players are ingenious Blue!

Thanks in advance-Anything I could help, just let me know.
From a cross-platform game lover!

P.s.- I´m getting a pso plus version this week and I wanna test it soon in your server.I will let you know as soon as I try it.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Pc & Gc cross-platform games works great!

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, there are still plenty of issues with GC<->PC/DC game playing at this point. If you drop items that don't exist in one version, you'll still run into problems (although hopefully no FSODs... can't guarantee anything though). The GC<->PC/DC compatibility isn't a priority for me, and it will stay as it is at the moment -- allowed to happen, but not supported if things go wrong.

The monsters problem is probably due to differences in the quests (different amounts of spawns and such). The same thing happens during normal play, which can be quite confusing. With quests, I can probably fix it (although, I don't know when I'll get around to it). With normal play, I don't know if I can fix it easily.

That said, most/all of the PC quests should be available on GC. If not, that's probably an easy fix on my end that when I get a chance, I'll look at (should just be saving the quests in GC format and updating the quest list). GC quests aren't necessarily easy to port, so don't expect to see any GC-only quests getting put on PC.

Thanks for the report of how it works, but like I've said, be very careful with it. I don't want to see you losing character data due to an FSOD or anything like that. :wink:
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

Well, I made that experience by droping a Dark Flow to my character in Pc...I only get a "????" item. Anyway giving it back to my Gc character, the item returned to normal.
The funny thing happened when I gave my Marica Mag from pc to gc...and then I feed it with a star atomizer and the mag turned into a Bhirava which photon blast icons became "Megid" and "Grants". When I got it back, it kept the bhirava form, however the photon blast icons returned to normal. Then I feed it with a monomate and the Marica form appeared again :o .
Anyway no FSOD observed during these crazy processes.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Mags are one of those things that are very screwy between the two versions. The data is laid out completely different, so that's the most likely thing to cause problems between them (that I know of at the moment).
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

Hey Blue,

I know its not a priority for you to improve the cross platform games right now, but let me ask you something:
Yesterday I played a cross-platform game (Dc and Gc) with a friend playing on sylverant. When we reached the dragon boss, I expected that only one could fight the boss (like in pc-gc ) but surprisingly, we both teleported to the arena. However I froze up there and just could watch the dc guy fighting the boss (well , from my point of view, the dragon didn´t move at all :lol: ). The point is...Do you think it´s gonna be possible to correct it someday ?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I honestly have no idea.
syntexerrorXl
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by syntexerrorXl »

Wow thats great i hated crossing platforms on shthacks server always froze the gc player at dragon.Anyway im new to this server so i hope to see some of you in game im going to jump on there now and check it out see ya.
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

syntexerrorXl wrote:Wow thats great i hated crossing platforms on shthacks server always froze the gc player at dragon.Anyway im new to this server so i hope to see some of you in game im going to jump on there now and check it out see ya.
But it still happens sintex. It´s not a server issue...I believe it´s due to different layouts in that boss area among these versions. I just ponted out the differences in dc and pc versions. In the last one, not even accept a teleport when you´re palying with a gc player...one or another each time can fight the boss, and sometimes you enter. Considering what I observed in dc version, you just froze up there. I may be wrong, but dc and pc version don´t have the same bugs when palying with gamecube.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Well, i did once a run with other GCubers on schtserv, however and altough the forest run did go nicely (including the dragon) we wasted a lot of time just to figure out who would press switches or who would be the last to enter the boss warp, everyone was afraid of causing a fsod to the remaining players.
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Well, i did once a run with other GCubers on schtserv, however and altough the forest run did go nicely (including the dragon) we wasted a lot of time just to figure out who would press switches or who would be the last to enter the boss warp, everyone was afraid of causing a fsod to the remaining players.

So it hapenned right sometimes uh?hehe....I never was so lucky in schtserv regarding cross-platform games. Aleron stated once that some work could be done to correct bugs like "the weird moves" when someone is checking the bank or buying somethig at shops. But it sure needs much time and demands a lot of hard work .Maybe even the dragon bug can be corrected definitively.
Didi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Didi »

I do not know if there has been some progress since the creation of this post, but would like to report a bug that occurred when I was playing with PC - GC, I was one of those push buttons that need the team to push together to open a door and suddenly my game closed, will be the compatibility problem?
Passatempo favorito: Jogar os diversos PSOs
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

That's one of the major compatibility issues -- the maps between the two games are not exactly the same. That's why such freezes/crashes/disconnections happen.

And no, I haven't done anything related to compatibility between the versions at all. It is definitely not something that is high on my priority list due to how much work it seems like it would be for very little gain.

My position on cross-compatibility remains as it did then: you can use it at your own discretion, but it is explicitly not supported -- if something breaks (your game freezes, your character gets corrupted, etc), you were warned ahead of time not to use that option. :wink: