Help mounting Sylverant

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help mounting Sylverant

Post by Bonner »

Guys, good night :)

I am a player of PSO Dreamcast and today I had an ambitious idea.
Game server SCHTHACK where I find it very unstable, and finally, presents problems for users of the Dreamcast that when someone enters the room, if the player is in the forest for example, the game crashes and lost everything!
Sylverant heard about the project, where the server is much more reliable than the actual SCHTHACK, oh so I decided to hire a VPS and it ride for me and my Brazilian friends are playing.

I would like if possible, a How-To, that is, if you guys have, how to do it in the distribution CENTOS-OS 5 or some distribution based on Red Hat, I'll thank you deeply!

A big hug to everyone! :wink:
Pedro Oliveira
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Help mounting Sylverant

Post by BlueCrab »

While its possible to run Sylverant on Linux, I do not recommend it. There are some nasty bugs that make things not work properly for Dreamcast users if the server is running on Linux. I only test/support running it on FreeBSD.

That said, the closest to a how-to that is around is the directions on the google code project for running it on Cygwin (which should be possible to adapt).

Just curious, why would you want to run it yourself, instead of just using a server that's available. The Sylverant server is up and anyone can connect to it. I'd much rather see people come together on one server than to see a bunch of small fragmented servers that serve no purpose but to isolate the communities.
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

BlueCrab Hello, good morning!
Well, I am a student of technology, and for me to pursue this project was a challenge.
I am a member of a clan Brazilian PSO DC, and my intuition is to centralize all the Brazilian members currently in SCHTHACK connect to our server we are setting, based on the project Sylverant.
I understand your position, finding that creating servers, decentralized staff, fragmenting it, but the project is the desire of an entire clan who wish to have your own server, where we can have our own list of Ships, join the community of friends we play for Brazil in the end, concentrate all staff in a universe SAFE and more ORGANIZED! understand?
For me it is a pleasure to talk to you, the founder of the project, and hopefully learn a lot from you about your improvement, and what you need in terms of collaboration, I put myself at your disposal to assist and strengthen the project!

Detail, I had trouble compiling on Cygwin.
The number one clan member who had any idea of mounting the server based on the design Sylverant, had problems while compiling it by following the step-by-step instructions posted in your documentation. I believe he has Cygwin installed on VPS has a problem, or is missing some files libs that are not performing the action taken at some point in the tutorial, thus reporting errors.
As recommended the use of Cygwin, by being more reliable and bug free, unlike as in Linux, then try again seek the tutorial and report errors that are pointed in the server logs.

I am grateful once again for your attention.
BlueCrab big hug from all the Brazilian community of players of PSO and PSO DC!
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

BlueCrab, tried to do the same Cygwin.
When trying to perform the procedures of the tutorial to install the server I'm having problems:

Here you ask the following:
Step 1: Compile libsylverant (needed for the rest of packages).

# Entered in the directory
cd sylverant/trunk/libsylverant

# Run autoreconf
autoreconf --install
#I ordered . / Configure
./Configure

# Here is what happens as the error log below. The message is returned
# Not to be done "install-exec-am
# Not to be done "install-data-am (nothing to be done) to run the command make or make all
make all
# Make install I did not get in, hence the multiple of the error that previously returned
make install

Log Make or Make all

make [2]: Entering directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant / src '
make [3]: Entering directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant / src '
make [3]: Nothing to Be done for `install-exec-am '.
make [3]: Nothing to Be done for `install-data-am '.
make [3]: Leaving directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant / src '
make [2]: Leaving directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant / src '
make [1]: Leaving directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant / src '
make [1]: Entering directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant '
make [2]: Entering directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant '
test-z "/ usr / local / lib" | | / usr / bin / mkdir-p "/ usr / local / lib"
/ Bin / sh. / Libtool - mode = install / usr / bin / install-c libsylverant.la '/ usr /
local / lib '
libtool: install: / usr / bin / install-c .libs / libsylverant.lai / usr / local / lib / libs
ylverant.la
libtool: install: / usr / bin / install-c .libs / libsylverant.a / usr / local / lib / libsyl
verant.a
libtool: install: chmod 644 / usr / local / lib / libsylverant.a
libtool: install: ranlib / usr / local / lib / libsylverant.a
make [2]: Nothing to Be done for `install-data-am '.
make [2]: Leaving directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant '
make [1]: Leaving directory `/ home / Whithil / sylverant / trunk / libsylverant '

And now, what to do?
For this reason I tried to do it in CentOS

My version of Cygwin is: 1.7.7 and am running it on a VPS with Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

Tou lost! = (
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

From what you've posted there, it doesn't look like there were any errors in building/installing it... libtool didn't seem to report any problems installing the binaries or anything else like that.

I still stand by my statement though that I would much rather not see a bunch of small fragmented communities spring up. It seems counter-productive to me to split people up even more. The only reason that I even really made Sylverant open-source was to encourage people to help with the code and such...

That said, I do intend at some point to allow people to register ships to my shipgate... Perhaps this would be an acceptable solution to you guys to organize without fragmenting the community needlessly? You all could run your own ship (or more than one ship), and but chain it off of the shipgate that I run. That way, we keep things somewhat centralized, but you can still have a large degree of control over what happens on your ships.

Believe me, Sylverant's login server and shipgate aren't exactly the easiest things to set up and run. I haven't written any administration tools or anything, so a lot of things have to be done manually, which isn't really easy or documented...
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

BlueCrab Good afternoon.

Well, after spending several nights of sleep, giving me almost ill at the university simply for insisting on the build server, which in my view, is very complex, and, after compilation, we would have problems keeping it because you know better than us.
Analyzing this question, my friend and I both turned to me sleepless nights scratching their heads, we come to a conclusion.

Regarding placement that was said in previous messages, saying to have access to a ship or even more if it was necessary for us where we would have full power over them, is still standing?
The Brazilian community of PSO is abandoned, because the server is down SCHTHACK at least about one week, problems with constant hacker attacks and the continued decline in per server packets.
In this case, because we no place to play, we could have three ships in its terms and also shipgate total control over them?
XBR would be a name that would be our main where he would V2 DC PC, a name still to be analyzed only for the players and a tournament PSOBB Chalenge and disputes between clan members and fellow Brazilians out if any.

I am grateful and I volunteer to work with you, along with my team, to be published suggestions, propose improvements and drive our employees future developers to publish also quests that are being created.

I await your position so we can fulfill our desire to be able to play on a server completely stable and free of flaws that are constantly online so we can have some fun!
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

We of the Brazilian community of Phantasy Star Online V2 Dreamcast, GameCube and PC want to migrate your server BlueCrab Officially, as thanks for having created a wonderful server that goes beyond all others in the moment!

Big hug!
Igor Isaias Banlian
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Igor Isaias Banlian »

Well, after reading the posts of BlueCrab here, I feel compelled to position myself about many things said by him that I disagree. Follows:
BlueCrab wrote:I still stand by my statement though that I would much rather not see a bunch of small fragmented communities spring up. It seems counter-productive to me to split people up even more. The only reason that I even really made Sylverant open-source was to encourage people to help with the code and such...
Wow, you say that the only reason you released the source code was Sylverant for others help you with the code... That to me means that you, and do not follow the ideals espoused by the Richard Stallman with the Free Software, who say the most important is the right to use, distribute, modify and distribute the modifications, still just want to get free developers for your server, which goes against the whole philosophy of free software!
BlueCrab wrote:Believe me, Sylverant's login server and shipgate aren't exactly the easiest things to set up and run. I haven't written any administration tools or anything, so a lot of things have to be done manually, which isn't really easy or documented...
This depends on your point of view! Many people have the capacity to do such a thing, and not because he (Bonner), I or anyone else are not experienced programmers and/or cause to be Brazilians, we will not able to compile and run the Sylverant!

I must remind you that the DC-Talk not only managed to compile and run the Sylverant, but also made many improvements on it! If you can, the DC-Talk can, then so can we, and you say that we will not get it quite arrogant of you!

Independent Clan XBR or not to keep a server Phantasy Star Online V2 Dreamcast, I, the founder and administrator of the site and forum Dreamcast BR, keep a Sylverant server-based and hosted where I want, for he is licensed in Affero GPL v3, you can not stop, and you like it or not, many will do the same!

If you did not want anyone but you used Sylverant, do not make available for download, much less to license with a Free Software license, like the Affero GPL v3!

Regards,
Igor Isaias Banlian
Visit the Dreamcast BR: http://www.dreamcastbr.com/
Visit My Blog: http://igorisaiasbanlian.co.cc/
Visit the LinuxLeve: http://linuxleve.co.cc/
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

I'm not the best person to answer this, bluecrab will reply in the right time.

I'm thinking he does care about the PSO players, and while having small comunities is good for others, it may be bad for the PSO community all together.
Obviously you can make your own server, with your own rules, with your own code changes, but i don't see many advantages to that.
PSO online main component is to play with others, the more diversity, the better.

Sylvarant software is not the only one avaiable, the one at schthack is very easy to use (double click on exe) but has long time bugs/exploits/backdoors, but ignoring that, it's actually a usefull tool to play PSO, it's a nice and cheap alternative.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Let me say this first to Bonner. I apologize for not answering your questions before I go off on this tangent here, but I will attempt to do so later on today. Please don't take any of the below as directed at you Bonner, as this is directly responding to the post two above this one (so the one from Igor).

The rest of this post is a rant directed at Igor, so if you don't like reading rants from developers, just stop reading now.

K_I_R_E_E_K hit the nail on the head with why my position is as it is. I do indeed care about people playing PSO, and that's why I take the position I do. I used to spend hours upon hours playing PSO back when Sega's server was still up and running. I remember how much fun it was to play with people from all over the world. I believe that the remaining PSO players should try to band together and form as few disjoint communities as possible. The whole point of PSO, in my opinion, should be to try to bring everyone from all over the world together to play. As I have said before and will say many times again, its much more fun that way. Meeting new people, making new friends, etc.

Also, like K_I_R_E_E_K said, there's nothing I can do to stop you from making your own server. If that was my paramount concern, it would've done me little good to distribute Sylverant in any way. Yes, you can make your own server. Yes, you can change the code to suit your needs (of course, the license here requires you open-source any modifications too). Yes, you can pretty much ignore anything I ask nicely of you to do in regard to it, and there's not much I can do to stop you. If I cared about that stuff more than I do, I wouldn't have released it, and I certainly wouldn't have made it open source.

The way I look at it is this: I can ask nicely to not fragment the community any more than it already is. You can either follow along, or you can ignore me; I can do nothing to stop you either way. I just don't think its good for what is left of the PSO community to fragment it any more than it already is.

Now, onto specific points things I want to respond to...
Wow, you say that the only reason you released the source code was Sylverant for others help you with the code... That to me means that you, and do not follow the ideals espoused by the Richard Stallman with the Free Software, who say the most important is the right to use, distribute, modify and distribute the modifications, still just want to get free developers for your server, which goes against the whole philosophy of free software!
Please don't lecture me on the ideals of Richard Stallman. I know exactly what he stands for, and I feel that my views on Sylverant follow that just fine. I want people to be able to learn from what I've done with Sylverant. After all, how many places do you see a good documentation of the PSO server protocols? Yes, I'd love to see a community of people helping me maintain Sylverant. More than that, I'd love to see a community of people all enjoying Sylverant, together. Playing PSO together. Having fun together. Making friends together. Fragmenting what's left of the community does not espouse the idea of togetherness that I feel that Open Source is supposed to bring. I don't restrict anyone's right to use/distribute/modify Sylverant in any way. I only make the humble request that you don't fragment the community. If I wanted to, I could write my own license that enforces that, but I don't. Don't tell me I don't follow the ideals of the Free Software movement.
This depends on your point of view! Many people have the capacity to do such a thing, and not because he (Bonner), I or anyone else are not experienced programmers and/or cause to be Brazilians, we will not able to compile and run the Sylverant!
I was just stating that I haven't documented the procedures for getting things up and running. Mainly because I'm not a fan of writing documentation at all. I wasn't trying to imply that you guys couldn't do it, I was just saying that I haven't documented the procedure.
I must remind you that the DC-Talk not only managed to compile and run the Sylverant, but also made many improvements on it! If you can, the DC-Talk can, then so can we, and you say that we will not get it quite arrogant of you!
Once again, my statement wasn't meant in any way to be arrogant. I was just stating fact. Also, DC-Talk has made exactly one modification to the standard Sylverant source code: modifying the /minlvl command to allow levels below the game enforced minimums (as schtserv does). Not exactly "many" improvements as you imply. Yes, they've contributed ideas and a lot of assistance in testing (not to mention the legit items list that K_I_R_E_E_K spent a lot of time on), but to say that they've heavily modified Sylverant is an outright lie. Also, note that I've helped DC-Talk out quite a bit in keeping their server up and running properly, and I actively post on their forums to help sort out bugs and such.
Independent Clan XBR or not to keep a server Phantasy Star Online V2 Dreamcast, I, the founder and administrator of the site and forum Dreamcast BR, keep a Sylverant server-based and hosted where I want, for he is licensed in Affero GPL v3, you can not stop, and you like it or not, many will do the same!

If you did not want anyone but you used Sylverant, do not make available for download, much less to license with a Free Software license, like the Affero GPL v3!
Well, I could remove all the source code, delete everything, and revoke any licenses to use the code (all my privileges as the sole copyright holder, regardless of the license). I don't and won't do that though. Why? Because I'm simply making a humble request that you don't fragment the community. Nowhere have I ever required it. Never will I. Why? Because its against the ideas of the Free Software movement. If you want to keep a server up regardless of my request, feel free. It doesn't hurt me in the least. The only thing it does is to make you look rude to ignore my humble request and insult me in the way you have without even understanding (or apparently trying to understand) my point at all.
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

Gentlemen, my intention in this topic was not to bring conflicts.
Advance, with the permission of Igor, would like to apologize for my part, and at least part of my friends who together form the clan XBR for any inconvenience or annoyance we have caused here.

BlueCrab it would be wonderful as I said earlier, if you could help us with the development server, however, is the question that you stand strong, which is not to fragment the community. I agree, but as mentioned above, have it as backup server would also be an issue to which we were defending. We have the Client of the SCHTACK K_I_R_E_E_K mentioned, however, as he said, has bugs and flaws. Not good for us, much less meet our ideals.

I would be very happy if you could help us, but with your permission, I would also maybe help us think about my question that sounds like a proposal to ally himself to us in the Brazilian community, so that we can contribute but also with time, conquer our space in our own country. We have serious problems of latency, because your servers are wonderful, but are outside our jurisdiction beyond that, we can not only bear the ideal server for PSO, but also revives a number of other online titles for the Dreamcast console SEGA have and which makes me very happy.
The idea of having our own server, part of the principles of connectivity, stability and efficiency of response (latency) in order to provide good speeds for all users.
I have a server in Quake 3 Arena on a VPS that we rented in Dallas, but the latency is terrible, and only allows a good connection to our friends from USA players of the quake. Good for them! We do not matter, because what we want is fun to everyone regardless of us being in second place as the speeds, even while we were owners, where we should have maximum efficiency priorities concerning stability etc..

Thank you for your attention once again to accompany my topic again correcting my sincere apologies if the content of this topic, indirectly may have offended some fellow Brazilian, or, apparently, be interpreted in such manner.

My big hug.

Pedro Oliveira
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I would be very happy if you could help us, but with your permission, I would also maybe help us think about my question that sounds like a proposal to ally himself to us in the Brazilian community, so that we can contribute but also with time, conquer our space in our own country. We have serious problems of latency, because your servers are wonderful, but are outside our jurisdiction beyond that, we can not only bear the ideal server for PSO, but also revives a number of other online titles for the Dreamcast console SEGA have and which makes me very happy.
The idea of having our own server, part of the principles of connectivity, stability and efficiency of response (latency) in order to provide good speeds for all users.
The only real problem with latency would be on the ship server. Users are connected to the patch/login servers for such a short time that it is mostly inconsequential. Running the ship server is a whole lot easier than the rest of it (and is documented pretty well). I'd love to see you all be able to run your own ship(s) and connect to my login server/shipgate. That was what I hoped you had intended to do.

So, anyway, if that is the course you wish to take (to run a ship (or more than one ship) connected to my shipgate), that would be very much within my ideals (of not fragmenting the community). Let me know how we're going to proceed, that way I can prepare things. :)
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

Alright buddy!
Then we begin the development of ship and port it to your Shipgate.
Any questions or problems that we eventually have, will contact you in order to resolve them, ok?
Again, thank you for your attention!
Big hug!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Setting up a ship server is pretty easy, actually. Here's the documentation on how to actually go about setting it up once you get it compiled: http://code.google.com/p/sylverant/wiki ... erantShips

Basically, getting a ship to compile is pretty simple... Check out the source for the whole project from the SVN, then build libsylverant from the source as follows (in the libsylverant directory -- you may need to use sudo or something on the make install line depending on your setup):

Code: Select all

autoreconf --install
./configure --without-mysql
make
make install
Then, you should be able to build the ship server similarly (from the ship_server directory):

Code: Select all

autoreconf --install
touch config.rpath
./configure
make
make install
Once you do that, let me know and I will start helping with setting the rest of the stuff up for the ship.
Igor Isaias Banlian
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Igor Isaias Banlian »

Well, after reading your posts, BlueCrab, I understood his reasons for wanting these things so, so I'm helping Bonner to build the ship server!

So now Bonner and I we are together on this project the Brazilian ship server for Phantasy Star Online... :mrgreen:

I would also make clear that I did not want to offend you, BlueCrab, I just misunderstand your motives for wanting the servers are unified!

Regards,
Igor Isaias Banlian
Visit the Dreamcast BR: http://www.dreamcastbr.com/
Visit My Blog: http://igorisaiasbanlian.co.cc/
Visit the LinuxLeve: http://linuxleve.co.cc/
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Good luck, and I look forward to your ship being online!
Bonner
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bonner »

BlueCrab, answer me one thing:
If I compile the SHIP, you allocate your SHIPGATE as is currently the ISELIA?
Because I saw some people connect, and there appears when connected this way: US. SHIP LIST, and appears just below the name of the SHIP.

I would not want to be like this, I want to put the main server, as is the ISELIA.
Would?
We're experiencing a moment of crisis, our clan is about to fall apart because of disputes as to where we stay, and also about financial problems we pay for a VPS.

Hope we can complete this project and get money to host our server 24H. If we can not keep the vps, and the server goes down, if we asked a ship, or a home on your server, you would give us, for charity? to stop all these fights and disagreements with these too? BlueCrab, we have a great player in our community, it is called Whithil, this guy is doing the greatest achievement for a player of PSO has done for us Brazilians, are translating the game totally!
We want to continue his legacy, and not separate it from us.

If you give us as collateral, a SHIP XBR name beside the ISELIA and allow us to take control of the ship as GMs, we'd be eternally grateful. But this only if we can not solve the problem of VPS. We're still seeing that will help us with the investment to hire another.
We just want a guarantee that you will help us if we can not resolve this pending.

Big hug again!
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

You made that post so that ppl don't have the trouble of pressing enter twice to enter the ship?
If the ship is for a clan, it doesn't really matter where it's located, if you and all the other from the clan know where the ship is then selecting the ship after selecting "US. SHIP LIST" isn't that much of a problem.

peace
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I would tend to agree with K_I_R_E_E_K that it seems kinda silly to have a ship that's basically for a clan (and not a general public use ship) on the main menu, so I'll offer a bit of a compromise here. Here's my suggestion: you guys put your ship in a predetermined submenu (say BR), and I'll add a feature so that users can set their default menu that will be displayed when doing a ship select. This way, members of your clan can select to show the BR list by default, so they don't have to go into a secondary menu to get to your ship. Does this much sound good to you guys?

As for the rest of your post, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking... Are you asking if I could host a ship for you on my server? I'd rather not host too many ships on that server, as it is a VPS that is shared with other Virtual Servers, and I don't want to disturb the other things hosted on it (especially since I'm not paying for the hosting, a friend is basically giving it to me for free). You all would of course be welcome to play on Iselia if you cannot resolve your hosting problems, I just don't know that I could run another ship 24 hours a day...