PSO NTE - Nishi's Report Log

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

PSO NTE - Nishi's Report Log

Post by Treamcaster »

In progress...

-No teleporter to return to the lobby. No quests at the guild counter.
-Forest is completely open. No objects/ doors/ enemies/ teleporters, meaning no way to return to p2 or progress in game. (I wonder if this is supposed to be like this? Maybe there's still some server work to do?)
-Caves got the teleporter straight away, just like the other versions, everything seems ok.

I start off with 100 meseta and 1 monomate. Only way to fight is by going to cave 1. This is gonna be tough. I'll spend 90 meseta on a barrier in shop. Ragol never felt so lonely, but I am excited to venture in this undiscovered world.

Graphic wise... there are a few little changes here and there, some different camera angles... I may take some shots later.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: PSO NTE - Nishi's Report Log

Post by BlueCrab »

Hrm, well, the fact that there was nothing in the Forest seems to indicate there were some map differences that I never noticed in my (admittedly brief) testing of the NTE. I'll check the files and see what's missing to fix that. :wink:
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

I really appreciate that Blue. You know it's been a pain to get through caves with hunewearl. I'm lv 3 atm. Died a LOT. Grass assassins can walk past doors, beware :roll:
One good thing though... When you get poisoned, your health goes down to 1, but you don't die from it, unless something else attacks you of course.

Btw, guild lady just speaks, shows no quest menu. Hopefully you can restore teleporter to lobby?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Treamcaster wrote:Hopefully you can restore teleporter to lobby?
I'm reasonably sure that that functionality does not exist in the NTE -- it's not something I can correct server-side.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

BlueCrab wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:Hopefully you can restore teleporter to lobby?
I'm reasonably sure that that functionality does not exist in the NTE -- it's not something I can correct server-side.
Ok, thanks.
---
Here's a few screens. Nothing that exciting yet. I'll post lobby screens later.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Log 4:

Damn these Nano dragons... fortunately I've been saving a few mesetas and I can buy some techniques. The question is.. which is which (no jp knowledge). First I got Anti and then Barta. Yes, with this last one I was able to continue my journey past these flying beasts.

Log 5:

Yay, I finally made to cave 2! I am now on lv 6 and things are getting smoother. The initial hard work payed off. I got myself a sword, what an handy weapon I must say. I now have resta and barta lv 2.
Meseta is always a struggle. I didn't have until now the supplies I needed to heal myself, much less to feed the mag. Now that I get to sell more valuable stuff I got some money to buy monomates.
And what to I discover? Mag feed time's around 43sec. yay! I passed from my lv5 mag to lv16 fairly quickly. Now I need more meseta. Going down to cave 2...

Last edited by Treamcaster on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Log 6:

Finally made to the end of cave 2. Took the teleporter to cave 3, but got stuck in an endless loading screen. Had to restart the dc. Fortunately nothing got deleted.

Log 7:

I joined a v1 game! More to come...
Last edited by Treamcaster on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Didi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0

Post by Didi »

bugs with psov2 pc with it

Passatempo favorito: Jogar os diversos PSOs
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Yeah... Cross-compatibility wasn't really worked on at all between the NTE and any other version. I'd expect similar problems to what one sees between Gamecube and the earlier versions to appear between the NTE and any later versions.

Simply put, it isn't really safe to play, as I can say with 100% certainty that maps are different between the two (the missing lobby warp is one such obvious difference).
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

I couldn't see the other teammates, but they could see me. If I dropped something they wouldn't see and I wouldn't be able to take it back.

-Forest 1 is restored. Thanks crab.
-Forest 2 is empty.
-Failed to enter cave 3. (infinite loading screen)

---

-People send me GC, I accept but it doesn't show up in card list.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Log 8:

Tried to join some v1 games...

One thing to notice, I don't know why, but one of the times I quit game and returned, I got a "guild card in use error", and was unable to enter the ships. I wonder if the game had my char in memory still when I returned?

Teleported to caves and appeared out of nowhere:
However, this only happened once.

More differences from the final versions:
-some sound effects are missing (loading screens; mag raising.. to name a few);
-sometimes when fighting, the button pallet disappears;
-sometimes you can't sort items automatically, the items won't move;
-most of the traps in the caves are visible;
-you can raise the mag every 43 seconds;
-mag color is wrong in so many ways (starter mag with black char costume: blue; 2nd phase: yellow; 3rd phase: blue);
-cursors on every npcs;
-some sound effects are repeated and out of sync;
-different box locations i guess (also, more boxes?);
-only one npc in the lobby;
-some menus get bugged;
-grass assassin walks through doors;
-etc.
Last edited by Treamcaster on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Treamcaster wrote:I couldn't see the other teammates, but they could see me. If I dropped something they wouldn't see and I wouldn't be able to take it back.
Not surprising. I basically only translated the bare minimum of action packets to make it so that people could coexist in the lobby (a total of 6 different packet types). That's about it. Unfortunately, they added to and rearranged the list of packets corresponding to actions between the NTE and v1 (whereas after that, they only added to the list (or rearranged things that don't really matter)).
-Forest 1 is restored. Thanks crab.
-Forest 2 is empty.
I didn't do anything to fix forest 1, so that definitely sounds like it's picking maps that aren't in the NTE. One more reason that cross-compatibility between the NTE and the final Dreamcast version will likely never be really there.
-People send me GC, I accept but it doesn't show up in card list.
Dunno... I never looked at that at all, tbh. Probably something slightly different in the packet format between the NTE and later versions
One thing to notice, I don't know why, but one of the times I quit game and returned, I got a "guild card in use error", and was unable to enter the ships. I wonder if the game had my char in memory still when I returned?
That means that the game didn't gracefully disconnect from the server. Thus, the server has to wait until you ping out, which takes about 2 minutes.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I was kind of surprised that Simple Mail even worked at all. :lol: The server doesn't seem to be able to translate NTE Shift-JIS to UTF-16, while it can translate UTF-16 to Shift-JIS for the NTE.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Log 9:

I finally made to cave 3! Woot! Too bad I made a pipe to p2 to go shopping and sell some stuff, and when I piped down, I got infinite loading... Damn, I was so close... at least I know there's a complete cave 3 and probably De Ro Le at the end of the stage.

Log 10:

I made a new game and got infinite loading in one of the pipes, still in cave 1. Shit, now I'm afraid to use pipes/ teleporters.

Log 11:

New game, got myself to the end of cave 2 with no problems. There I see cave 3 teleporter. I use it and what happens...?
Empty mines.
Still shows "Cave 3"

Conclusions:
-Forest is only complete when I join a v1 team. When I do solo run, forest is always empty.
-When in empty forest, if I pipe up to p2, I can listen to hunters guild bgm instead of p2. But as soon as I walk around p2, bgm changes to the right one.
-Caution with pipes to Ragol (happened 2x). I'm trying to understand why this happens. I have a theory but I am not sure if this influences anything but I found a way to sort items automatically since the function doesn't work as supposed. I figured out that if I drop the units I got equipped and pick them up again, the game will let me sort automatically. Then what does this have to do with pipe freeze? I don't know if it's related or not, but the thing is, maybe the game does this to prevent bugging in transportation? I say this because I normally apply this little trick and one time, before the pipe crash happened and I had to boot the game again, the save state went a little backwards, more or less to the point before I sorted items. Still the things I had previously bought in shop and latest mag feeds didn't save. I suppose the game autosaves in "x" minutes? At least I don't lose the items/ meseta as seen in the final versions. The last time I entered cave 3 which led me to mine 1, I didn't organize items, maybe it was just a coincidence and I got lucky. Again, I don't think this has to do with pipe freezing, it's just a thought...

More differences from the final versions:
-When you cast PB, if any enemy hits you, you'll lose PB and don't cast anything;
-When you're poisoned/ paralyzed, the respective icons don't show up near the hud as in the final version;
-F1 and C1 are available of the bat;
-When you get to C2 for instance, get to p2 through pipe and you want to return to C2 through main portal, you can't. Only F1 and C1 appear on the list. This sucks if died and didn't set up a pipe!

I'll update if I remember anything else... I'm pretty sure there was something else erm...
Last edited by Treamcaster on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

BlueCrab wrote:Hrm, well, the fact that there was nothing in the Forest seems to indicate there were some map differences that I never noticed in my (admittedly brief) testing of the NTE. I'll check the files and see what's missing to fix that. :wink:
So if you figure out all the NTE map strings the game generates you may be able to make the char spawn in the map flawlessly right?
BlueCrab wrote:
Treamcaster wrote: -Forest 1 is restored. Thanks crab.
-Forest 2 is empty.
I didn't do anything to fix forest 1, so that definitely sounds like it's picking maps that aren't in the NTE. One more reason that cross-compatibility between the NTE and the final Dreamcast version will likely never be really there.
Let's say, one NTE player joins a V1 game of a player who previously entered a valid NTE map string command. Theoretically the maps would match right?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Assuming any of the maps in the NTE match maps that exist in the final game, yes, but I expect depending on the differences between the versions that BlueCrab will probably implement a version restriction for NTE compatibility eventually, i.e. preventing the NTE from joining any game where the leader hasn't explicitly allowed it (and thus forced the server to pick maps that it supports).
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Treamcaster wrote:So if you figure out all the NTE map strings the game generates you may be able to make the char spawn in the map flawlessly right?
That's the plan. I just need to find the time to do so. :wink:
BlueCrab wrote:Let's say, one NTE player joins a V1 game of a player who previously entered a valid NTE map string command. Theoretically the maps would match right?
Well, we already know there's differences between the maps. Take the map of Pioneer 2, for instance. The NTE is missing the lobby transporter, which may very well break pretty much everything that appears after it in the list of game objects (i.e, pretty much everything). In order to make the NTE compatible with later versions will probably require a translation layer akin to what we'd need to make the Gamecube versions compatible with the earlier versions of the game -- that'd be a rather large undertaking, unfortunately. Also, I'd still need to deal with translating all of the game command packets, which will require quite a bit of time to do right.

Unfortunately, there's probably a lot more than just selecting maps that the NTE has available to be done. :?
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

BlueCrab wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:So if you figure out all the NTE map strings the game generates you may be able to make the char spawn in the map flawlessly right?
That's the plan. I just need to find the time to do so. :wink:
Yesterday after a few tries I was lucky enough to beat the trial:

Unfortunately I didn't register map strings since NTE doesn't allow one to enter server commands and it's impossible for a player to join after NTE creates team. I wonder if v1 can join NTE? I can't test this since I can only hook up one dc online at a time.

I want to help so from now on I'll make a pc char to create a team and use /showmaps in order to find out which combinations work and which don't.

Here's what I have so far:
Wrong Map Strings

f1 ok; c1 ok; c2 spawns out of map

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 empty; c1 ok

f1 ok; c1 ok; c2 spawns out of map

f1 empty; c1 ok

c1 spawns out of map in c2

f1 ok;f2 empty;c1 ok; c2 ok; c3 ok

Edit 03/12/2014:

f1 ok;f2 empty;c1 ok; NO DROPS!

f1 empty; c1 ok; NO DROPS!

f1 ok;f2 empty;c1 ok; NO DROPS!
Last edited by Treamcaster on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

A completely blank (all zero) set of map strings will almost assuredly work. Beyond that would have to be tested.

That said, if you have a set that doesn't work, be sure to let me know what map causes problems in particular. That'll help narrow it down significantly, especially since the table of map names in the binary doesn't really make much sense (in comparison to those in the later versions of the game).
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

^ more strings/info added.

Would it affect map strings if V1 dc player created a team instead of PC v1 only?
Yesterday the time I got lucky I created the team with a v1 dc char... however I tried doing the same method today but got
spawned out of the map.

Edit: Do you have an idea of how many map combinations can v1 generate? Until now I never got a repeated combination yet!