Game Organization

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Game Organization

Post by Treamcaster »

Online gaming organization thread

I would suggest online meeting based off of beat time system for everybody's convenience. (I wonder if it's working fine on this server?)

Some background info regarding this time feature (Source - http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?o ... &artid=883):
.beat Time System - New Time Unit

Instead of dividing the virtual and real day into 24 hours and 60 minutes per hour, the Internet Time system divides the day into 1000 ".beats". Each .beat is 1 minute and 26.4 seconds.

New Meridian
Internet Time is based on a new Meridian (as opposed to the Greenwich Meridian). This new Meridian goes through Swatch's office in Biel, Switzerland and is called the BMT Meridian.

BMT - The Reference for Internet Time
BMT, another invention of Swatch, Biel Mean Time, which is linked up to the Central European Winter/Standard time - which is UTC + 1 hour. When it is Midnight in BMT, the Internet Time is @000 .beats, Noon is @500 .beats.

Time Unit Conversions
.beat Unit Conversion Unit .beat Conversion
1 .beat = 0.001 day
1 .beat = 0.024 hours
1 .beat = 1.44 minutes
1 .beat = 86.4 seconds
1 second = 0.01157 .beats
1 minute = 0.6944 .beats
1 hour = 41.666 .beats
1 day = 1000 .beats

Internet Time System
It uses the normal decimal system, instead of the ancient 24 hour, 60 minute, 60 second system which makes time telling more complicated.
.beat time calculations are easy, @345 + 456 .beats = @801, compared to e.g. 3:45:20 + 2 hours, 25 minutes, 45 seconds, where the seconds, minutes and hours must all be added.
No need for time zone conversions - the Internet Time is the same everywhere.

Yuji Naka On The .beat System
Sega.com: Another barrier to making a global RPG is different time zones. Please describe how Swatch's .beat system was chosen and implemented.

Yuji Naka: The way Swatch envisioned and created the .beat system was really interesting -- creating one time for the whole Internet. And because Sega is working with Swatch, we wanted to encourage the use of the .beat system.

Sega.com: Were there any difficulties in implementing the .beat system?

Yuji Naka: The .beat system that shows up on the game screen isn't just based on the Dreamcast settings -- it's sent over from the server. And because there are so many different servers in different time zones, it was a bit of a pain to get all of that unified.

In the Dreamcast's case, you can't really assume that the user has set their Dreamcast clock to the correct time. So even if their timer is off, once they connect to the server, the server will correct their time and sync it up with everyone else's .beat time.

If you go to the Swatch homepage, it shows the .beat time there, but that time is based on the internal clock in your PC. So if your PC has the wrong time, the site will show you the wrong time, too. So in that sense, PSO's .beat timer is the most accurate!

PSO & .beat
Heaven Punisher's special will only work on even .beats for 100 .beats until the next sequence of 100 .beats. Example: it will only work at 200 .beats but not .300.
See you all down there!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Game Organization

Post by BlueCrab »

Treamcaster wrote:I would suggest online meeting based off of beat time system for everybody's convenience. (I wonder if it's working fine on this server?)
Last I checked, it worked fine.

One thing to add, if you do want to schedule a game, post your character name/class and guildcard number. It'll make it much easier to organize things if you know exactly who you're looking for (not that I expect things to be particularly busy on the server at the moment). Also, post the version of the game you play too with those guildcard numbers (not important now, but when I do open things up for Gamecube/PC, it'll be important to know).

Also, stickied.

For instance, I generally play as a FOnewearl named Mina (blue costume), with any of the following guildcard numbers: 1351 (EUv2); 1352 (USv1); 1371 (Gamecube); and 1337, 1360, 1362, 10002 or 10003 (PC).
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Edit: I'm offline right now.

There's something odd with the PSO internal clock.. it's stating 1h less that what relly is in my country. Well, in any case, I'll be joining again in 100 beats.

Dreamcast Characters:

PALv1:
[AI]v1 (RAcaseal) GCN: 3392
HATSUNE (FOnewearl) GCN: 10018

PALv2:
Seifer (HUmar) GCN: 10017
AYU (HUnewearl) GCN: 10017
ghemer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ghemer »

where do we organize phantasy star games? irc?
silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by silverskull »

Well now, I'm impressed. Not even Schtserv actually displays the correct beat time, but Sylverant does.

(I've got a watch that displays it which makes this kind of stuff really easy. :P)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

silverskull wrote:Well now, I'm impressed. Not even Schtserv actually displays the correct beat time, but Sylverant does.

(I've got a watch that displays it which makes this kind of stuff really easy. :P)
That's pretty odd that Schtserv doesn't do the .beat time right, since its dead easy to deal with... PSO asks for the time and the server just has to return the time in GMT to the client.
silverskull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by silverskull »

Well it's been a while since I checked, but... last time I looked their beat time was off by 300-400 beats. (Can't check now because their server is down again.)
IcemaX
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by IcemaX »

If someone wants to play, hit me up.

IcemaX (RAcast) GCN: 11461

P.S. I am playing on PC.
roman.DC
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by roman.DC »

I will join now.

Halloween Horror on Altimira 1/1 vhard

cu online
Jsyzer
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

PSO Tonight/Tomorrow Dreamcast?

Post by Jsyzer »

Anyone want to play?
jazzjackrabbit82
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jazzjackrabbit82 »

Hi guys i have been playing pso for a very long time but am new to the server and looking to have some online fun with fellow dreamcast ver 2 players!Let give some pso dc some love :grin: My toon on there is Kikyo Yuki with a number at the end witch i had to use to get the section id i wanted lol.Hit me up and hope to see you guys online :wink:
Fredo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fredo »

Hi everyone, Fredo here !

I'm 26, French, and a long time Dreamcast fan. I just recieved my Broadband Adaptor and managed to connect to this server. Hope to see you online soon !

I played PSO offline for a long time (326 hours lol), my RaMar is currently lv126. I don't have any other characters but I may consider making one to join lower level characters.
PSO v2 (DC): Kalkatan. RaMar lv126
Kilano
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kilano »

Fredo wrote:Hi everyone, Fredo here !

I'm 26, French, and a long time Dreamcast fan. I just recieved my Broadband Adaptor and managed to connect to this server. Hope to see you online soon !

I played PSO offline for a long time (326 hours lol), my RaMar is currently lv126. I don't have any other characters but I may consider making one to join lower level characters.
one thing i didnt inform myself, can dreamcast and gamecube players meet on the same servers?
im guessing with the word of devolution and so many wii owners that number could rise a tiny bit more :)
- Kilano
- #Team303 [Hitbox Livestreams]
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You can see each other in the lobby, but you can't play with each other unless both players use special commands, as doing so will likely result in one or both players' games crashing.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
kencaesi
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by kencaesi »

Hello everyone, I am American English and Spanishing speaking male looking for like-mined DC PSO/v2 characters to level up during the weekend for a about two hours, starting this weekend (August 9th) about 13:30PST/@896.

I have s DC PSO v1 Lv. 53 Ramar "Kencaesi" that I am looking to level up via playthroughs but perferably through as many "Endless Nightmare" quests as I am also looking for upgrades to my weapons and armor. I am team player I but won't talk more than I have too. Interested parties should PM if they would like to make arrangements but on the other hand if you just look for teams on Iselia I will probably be the only v1 with an open game.
Mumubmw
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mumubmw »

Aleron Ives wrote:You can see each other in the lobby, but you can't play with each other unless both players use special commands, as doing so will likely result in one or both players' games crashing.
Hello,

My name is Mumu and comes from France.

Me and my boyfriend do own a GameCube with its BBA (mine) and a Dreamcast with its BBA (his). We can connect to Sylverant, we can see each other and talk to each other. But it would be great to play together.

What would be these "special commands" and what would make the game crash ? Thanks :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Make a team on your Dreamcast, then type /allowgc. Have your boyfriend then type /showdcpc in the lobby, and he will be able to see and join your team. Techniques and items won't necessarily work between platforms, thus potentially making it impossible to heal each other or revive each other if you die, and pressing switches may crash the game, thus making it impossible to complete the areas. Don't carry important items with you while you test, or they will get deleted when your game crashes.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

The very 1st thing to do would be to find a way to backup your save, either by using server commands or by using tools or PSO itself to copy the save to another memory card.
If things go well then you update the save before the next game, if things go bad and you lose something then you can easily revert back.
Mumubmw
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mumubmw »

Thansk for all the advices, I'll give it a try this week-end :-)
Mumubmw
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Mumubmw »

Ok :)

We've been playing for a while and indeed some switches make the game crash on the gamecube. Except these rare crashes (when you know what switch not to touch, it's ok), the game plays nicely on both consoles.

Healing or reviving work and specials too. Funny : on Dreamcast, the character of the GameCube is not the same (no problem for the DC character).

Configurations :

GameCube
YPbPr cable
60 Hz TV (I have to hold the B button at the beginning of the game to switch to 60Hz for the PAL version)
BBA

Dreamcast
VGA Cable
LDC 15" display
BBA

ISP : 100Mbs/5Mbs cable connection (Bouygues Telecom is the ISP)

If some are intersted, I'll ask my boyfriend to make somes vidéos of the game play on both consoles.