GOAT Publishing: An Open Letter to the Dreamcast Community

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GOAT Publishing: An Open Letter to the Dreamcast Community

Post by goatdan »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Anyway have you guys thought of a packaging, I really dislike Goat Packaging they are not in sync.
Well, of those that you have there, only one of them is the actual cover to the game.
You realize how out of place they will look in a collection, I don't even know where to file them do I keep them with Japs, Americans, Palies... what a mess this is something AVGN would rant about.

Atleast RSG followed the Jap layout so I can just file them with the Jap games.

You should look into remedying this inconvenience and also offer like printable front cover and back cover matching the new skin for the previous releases.
I think what you're actually referring to is the spine part of the games? If so, we wanted to and we feel that we owe it to people to NOT cause confusion between our products and official Dreamcast releases, because these are *not* official Dreamcast releases. Sega still holds the rights for the actual Dreamcast releases, and we do not want people to look at the spine of one of our games and think that Sega was in any way responsible for it.

The spines that RedSpotGames does are just like you said -- the Japanese layout. But that means that when they were released, I remember there being some confusion as to whether or not it was an official Sega game or not. It may have helped the sales of the game to potentially confuse people into thinking it was official, but it simply is not something we are willing to do for our titles. They stand on their own, and the spines mesh well with the other GOAT Store Publishing titles. If anything, you could own all 5 / 6 (with the LE) versions of them and have them in their own section if you so choose.

The bleem! discs also don't match anything else for the same reason. It's a choice we've made, and one we are sticking with... sorry!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

A few weeks back Max Scharl founder of DCS, and cofounder of RedSpotGames contacted me in regards to my posts about him in this forum, so here are the corrections to my incorrect statements:
But take a look at Max Scharl, he started a website called Dreamcast-Petition which basically wanted Sega to continue GD-Rom production, he unsurprisingly failed at doin so however he started petitions to get other games to get released on Dreamcast which he acheived.
We all know that stopping the discontinuation of GD-Roms was just one of the things DCP was doing the main thing was organizing petitions to release new games and petitions for Border Down, Chaos Field and Shikigami no Shiro 2 were all successful and the CEO of Milestones stated that the GD-Rom petition influenced a lot of ports for these games.
I also clearly remember he talked to Germany's GamePro about his discussion with Big Ben to officially release Goat Store's Feet Of Fury in England.
Max informs me that he was an official German promoter for the game and also did some minor work in the graphical department of the game.
He started a shitty publishing company Van Basilico who NG:Dev Team found horrible
(…)
Goat Store didn't have a turbulent start you guys started proper where as Max started Van Basilco or something which needless to say was a horible horrible disaster a bizzarre name and a website only in German and poor marketing.
In response to this deplorable quote Max explained to me that Van Balisco website was where he distributed RSG’s Last Hope so RSG has existed since day one.
The first game they released under Van Basilico (or something) bombed,
NG:Dev Team were not happy with marketing and management to say the least.
Max reveals that Last Hope is the best selling Inde-DC game to date, so not a bomb.
The reason why Rene Hellwig released Dux away from RSG is because they didn’t like the companies logo splattered all over the game and they wanted DVD cases and Max wanted the games to look like normal Japanese games.
Lastly 2 other things that I said about no one ever winning contests and DCS not returning merchandise they took for display at game convention.
Max Clarified that the contest cost him a hell of a lot of money (to ship internationally) and the winners he contacted didn’t want their name to be posted on Nex.Gam (one of the organizers for the contest). As for those who didn’t receive their merchandise Max called the statement blown out of proportion and said he was only a few weeks late in mailing them and to compensate he gave the 2 people a free copy of Last Hope Limited Edition.
So there you have it, Max said a lot of cool stuff in the email and it was really long and had I quoted what he said it would’ve been really insightful to learn all the behind the scene stuff he is engaged in but he requested that he isn’t quoted so I have to convey his message in my poorly written words.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BILAL_XIA wrote:A few weeks back Max Scharl founder of DCS, and cofounder of RedSpotGames contacted me in regards to my posts about him in this forum, so here are the corrections to my incorrect statements:
But take a look at Max Scharl, he started a website called Dreamcast-Petition which basically wanted Sega to continue GD-Rom production, he unsurprisingly failed at doin so however he started petitions to get other games to get released on Dreamcast which he acheived.
We all know that stopping the discontinuation of GD-Roms was just one of the things DCP was doing the main thing was organizing petitions to release new games and petitions for Border Down, Chaos Field and Shikigami no Shiro 2 were all successful and the CEO of Milestones stated that the GD-Rom petition influenced a lot of ports for these games.
That might have something to do with Milestone leaking the info to Max about the discontinuation of the GD-Rom format.
I also clearly remember he talked to Germany's GamePro about his discussion with Big Ben to officially release Goat Store's Feet Of Fury in England.
Max informs me that he was an official German promoter for the game and also did some minor work in the graphical department of the game.
I think I'd like to hear from Dan (either one) on this point. That doesn't sound right to me. FoF was not rereleased for GB and I have a hard time believing that DP took uncredited contributions for FoF.

Lastly 2 other things that I said about no one ever winning contests and DCS not returning merchandise they took for display at game convention.
Max Clarified that the contest cost him a hell of a lot of money (to ship internationally) and the winners he contacted didn’t want their name to be posted on Nex.Gam (one of the organizers for the contest).

That doesn't change the fact that we still have no proof of any winners. The assertion from day 1 was that the winners didn't want their names released. You'd think that some of the people that won those fancy 'LE' DCs would have taken pics of them. I (and probably many others) have a hard time believing that nobody who won was a member of any of the major DC sites (how else would they hear about the contest?).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

BILAL_XIA wrote:A few weeks back Max Scharl founder of DCS, and cofounder of RedSpotGames contacted me in regards to my posts about him in this forum
I'd appreciate if you could post the original email he sent (or at least the part of it about the things you posted).

Quzar wrote:That doesn't sound right to me.
Max was credited in FOF IIRC.

Quzar wrote:You'd think that some of the people that won those fancy 'LE' DCs would have taken pics of them. I (and probably many others) have a hard time believing that nobody who won was a member of any of the major DC sites (how else would they hear about the contest?).
The contest was announced all over the net and probably quite a few German print magazines. And there are A LOT of people who are still buying Dreamcast stuff but who aren't members of any "major" DC sites.

...I mean, this site has like five active members still into Dreamcast, maybe less. - What kind of proof is that for anything ?

- Personally I think that people aren't visiting because this place is (and as long as I can remember: always was) just one step short of actually reporting visitors to the authorities for copyright infringement if they admitted owning backups.
Insane homebrew collector.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

- Personally I think that people aren't visiting because this place is (and as long as I can remember: always was) just one step short of actually reporting visitors to the authorities for copyright infringement if they admitted owning backups.
I can't think of a DC site where developers actually post that does tolerate back-up discussion, with maybe dreamcast.es being the exception. There's nothing illegal about backups, but who really wants to start getting tons of questions how to create, or burn them, when they are most likely pirating? If I remember dcevolution.net is 'really' strict in this manner.
ImageImageImageImage
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Christuserloeser wrote:- Personally I think that people aren't visiting because this place is (and as long as I can remember: always was) just one step short of actually reporting visitors to the authorities for copyright infringement if they admitted owning backups.
Yeah, that must be it. It must not have anything to do with the fact that the Dreamcast has been dead for the better a decade now. It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that most of the homebrewers have sadly moved on to other ventures.

Its DEFINITELY only about our hardline stance about copyright infringement. Definitely.

:roll:
Christuserloeser

Stryfe wrote:I can't think of a DC site where developers actually post that does tolerate back-up discussion, with maybe dreamcast.es being the exception. There's nothing illegal about backups, but who really wants to start getting tons of questions how to create, or burn them, when they are most likely pirating? If I remember dcevolution.net is 'really' strict in this manner.
True.

I feel stupid for bringing this up anyway, and the Sisyphus task of explaining people how to create and burn their backups and downloads -whether they own the game or not- is exactly the excuse that I kept telling myself to convince me that it would be a bad idea indeed to allow such discussion.

Still, I think people are responsible for their own actions and I'd rather see them posting here than on some torrent sites or whatever.

BlueCrab wrote:Yeah, that must be it. It must not have anything to do with the fact that the Dreamcast has been dead for the better a decade now. It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that most of the homebrewers have sadly moved on to other ventures.
I haven't denied any of those things, but it's not that there wasn't tons of stuff going on during the past years - like TOSEC, Null, Half-Life mods, Bleem!cast, or getting stuff to boot from SD card, etc. pp. - none of which would have been allowed to be discussed here but which probably would have attracted new people to the forums, and which in turn might have been interested in homebrew.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:...I mean, this site has like five active members still into Dreamcast, maybe less. - What kind of proof is that for anything ?
I would never say anything was proof that the prizes weren't sent out, because that's not possible. I'm just pointing to a lack of proof.
Christuserloeser wrote:- Personally I think that people aren't visiting because this place is (and as long as I can remember: always was) just one step short of actually reporting visitors to the authorities for copyright infringement if they admitted owning backups.
Yup, we're just a lot of big meanies. How can you possibly put up with it? I mean, and it's not like it's ever gotten us anything. It's not like this is the defacto forums for KOS development. It's not like we played host to the official Bleemcast forums. It's not like we played host to successful DC coding contests. We're just utter failures and should model ourselves more on dcisozr00l.tk or descargasDC.br or on any number of fly-by-night sites.

Obviously your philosophy has been applied successfully to the other sites where you've been an active contributor right? What we should really do is just put in the rules that for talk about backups, how to burn the bleemcast beta, and how to put CSDC and Propeller Arena on a single disc just head on over to sites you like that aren't so horrible. Go over to the backups forum at DCScene or the Bleemcast Beta forum at DCEvolution.

Are there some (english language) Dreamcast sites/forums that I've simply never heard of that have thriving homebrew discussion and creation alongside their warez?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:Yup, we're just a lot of big meanies.
Well, yeah. :P :wink:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I've never had a problem with our anti-warez stance. I did have a problem with how far the rule was taken in the busier days though. While too many years have passed for me to come up with examples off the top of my head, things often got rather draconian. I have never established if this was due to poor modding, or a genuine fear that we were a Segagen fart away from getting shutdown.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

The problem is that the current generation (mostly) of people using the internet have some sort of sense of 'entitlement'.

ie ~ "It's my right to download stuff, for free, that somebody just spent thousands, to millions, of dollars on developing." ~ "I want it, I want it for free, and I want it now."

Just Google for practically anything the day of, or day after, it releasing, and voila... 'entitlement'.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

It's not really entitlement, it's just current trends in the current environment, it really shows how technology is advancing rapidly whilst the human race still hasn't got any further than a few yards from the starting line.

It's no different to freeloaders sponging off state benefit, the majority go to work and pay taxes whilst the minority stay at home and sponge off government handouts. The majority buy games, music, and movies... the minority sponge off the internet.

There are those that contribute and those that leech, it's the cold, hard facts of life.

It's really strange, the middle east was always anti-western world, dating way back, pirating western world goods for decades, way before the digital revolution. Come the digital revolution and the middle east promotes anti-western standards, yet now the minority in the western world think it's a god given right to freeload from the internet, but still they get up in arms about middle east politics - now there's hypocricy for you!.

Next time you see news coverage about middle east politics, or see a drop-out smackhead on the street who probably gets 'aid' from the government for his addiction, just think carefully which rung of the ladder you are on!.
Across the Universe
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Hey guys,

I just found this thread via youtube video insight (obviously, I never check that stuff out :o).

To clear some things up, "Adventure Game 1" was going to be a dreamcast remake of S+F's Trevor games... at least the first two. We never made it past the pre-production stages as a proper artist could not be found. That actually sucks as I always thought the presentation of these titles could be altered to make them fairly well-received. We have a bunch of unused music sitting around that was written for this remake and it's really, really great. It almost makes me want to try and search for an artist again so we can do the remake.

"Vexorex" was a PC game we began development on, but abandoned. It was sort of an 360 degree arcade type shooter with a few multiplayer elements.

It would have been nice to see either reach the light of day, but sometimes that sort of thing just doesn't happen, I guess.

- Steve