DCEmulation

dreamcast development • homebrew software • hardware hacking • indie games • emulators • and more!
Back to main site
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
cube_b3 wrote:
I think PH3NOM saved himself from any embarrassment by letting the Kickstarter die.
If anything I see people still clamoring for more LOF.

Also Falco, you are already aware that your former team members stay in touch with me and do reach out for help with PR. I do hope you can find resolve with them. In business, it isn't personal. A leader has to grow professionally and simply (easier said than done) learn to work with the strengths of members in his network.

You say Tyler was useless, yet his departure destroyed any momentum you had going. He wasn't bringing the physical effort, but apparently he was still an asset as even the desk Patrick used belonged to him. Instead of conducting yourself, however you conducted yourself, maybe you could have set up a different method of remuneration for him one based on milestones achieved rather than time spent.

I could go one by one and evaluate all of the members but I fear you may perceive that as being condescending which is definitely not what I'm trying to do.

I run a very small PR company. I rely on a small network of friends to get things done each bringing their strengths and obstacles. I deal with all of them differently. I have friends that I know I can rip them a new one and they won't abandon me but end of the day their quality of work will be worse because ridiculing a partner or even an employee usually doesn't work. More often, whether I am paying them or not (usually I don't), I have to take a more intellectual approach.

I rely on an artist to draw a logo for a client that I can trace and color the best one in illustrator.
She's not delivering, we've got money on the line. The client will cease to do business with us.
I could nag her like a parent that she's not working or I could try to initiate a dialogue without pointing any fingers, I need her more than she needs me. I have to engage her and get to the root of the problem. She's failing one of her classes, I put my friend hat back on and find out where she's struggling, see if I can help and get things back on track.

This is an embellished example and it might not even be a good suggestion. But it is how I have taught me to conduct myself. You could read a book on leadership or some autobiography of an entrepreneur of your choosing.

Communication is one of the many important things a leader needs to excel at. Having worked with PH3NOM and you, I can say both of you left a lot to be desired. Especially, as I worked with both of you for free and only out of respect towards the contributions you've made to the scene.

I think all of us regardless of the careers we are in have to teach ourselves to be better communicators and leaders. I still struggle with it. Please don't construe anything I've said here has any ill intent towards you or Josh.


Image

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 pm 
Offline
DC Developer
DC Developer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm
Posts: 573
To everyone here in the community, thank you for your kind words and support! It really encourages me to consider returning to DC coding sometime in the future, however, I can not make any promises at this time.

mankrip wrote:
Josh, now I understand why it was so hard for you to come back and talk about what happened. Everything was too subjective, and if you said anything negative it would be your word against his, so you got confused and took all the blame upon yourself for fear of being unfair, because you're the project leader. I went through the same when Fightoon failed. And it sucks.

You're fine. Don't worry about your reputation, or about how much everyone likes your work; those are unaffected.

Good luck on your new job, and feel free to go back to developing your game whenever you have some spare time, if you want to. We'll always be with open arms to welcome you.


Thank you for your kind words my friend, you seem to understand some things even better than I had!
Yes, I have taken responsibility for the project failing, and yes I have been ashamed of its failure, but that is a small portion of my reason for stepping back for some time before announcing things here.

Primarily, I have struggled with not making public my anger towards Wilson, for not listening to me when I told him we needed to wait to launch the KS, and his inability to compromise.
We never contracted a deadline when we began working together, nor did I promise him anything would be done by a certain date.
When we had our conversations, I always told him we would launch the campaign when I felt things were ready.
I did not want to rush things, and I was focused on writing a complete 3D Game Engine from the ground up, not to mention writing an entire game that uses the engine.
At first, I was under the impression that he was even willing to release the game for free, if need be, because he was a fan of the Dreamcast and its community.

Towards the fall of last year, his desperate financial situation became increasingly obvious, and he began putting a lot of pressure on me to rush things.
I had a full time job, that he was well aware of from the beginning of our collaboration, and coding this game was something I did for fun, and in my free time.
He was unable to find any other means of work, even blaming me for him losing his other 'clients', because of his dedication to this project, even though I had always encouraged and reminded him to take on other contracts as a stable means of income.
Several times I wired him money, with hopes to keep him motivated, even though I made it clear I could not afford to pay him as an employee.
LotusToken even began funding our project as a private backer; I did not take a single cent of that, everything he funded went directly to Wilson.

Around October, Wilson told me that we had to launch the campaign by the end of the year, otherwise he would quit the project.
No matter what I said or asked of him, he would not compromise.
I worked my ass off to make things happen, but as I was focused on writing code, I had very little time to do PR awareness, and trusted Wilson to handle that side of things. I am a software developer, not a marketing expert; even then, I knew we were doomed to launch the KS campaign in the middle of the holiday season.

In the end, I have been left feeling very resentful towards Wilson, and the way things turned out I blame 100% on his broke ass not being able to find a real means of income, to be able work on this project purely out of a desire to do so, as I had initially believed was his motivation for wanting to make a Dreamcast game to begin with.

After the KS campaign failed, Wilson quit immediately without even telling me directly; he posted it on the KS page comments section.
I had to take a serious look at how much time I have spent coding on the Dreamcast, and how I ended up with virtually nothing to show for it.
I had to consider if I had spent all of that time on PC development, how much easier things would have been and how much more progress I could have made.
Then, I had to consider the financial viability of me continuing to develop on the Dreamcast, and weather or not it was worth my time to do so.

Here is the twist.
I hate to say it, but in the long run, I am now happy that this project did not succeed.
If it had, I would have turned down the offer for my current job; now I am getting paid annually more than we were asking for to launch the campaign as a team split 3 ways.
Plus my experience working with such serious hardware limitations and my ability to overcome them was a serious selling point during my interview, so I do not regret my time spent here, at all :-)

LotusToken wrote:
I feel partly responsible as me and Phenom were unable to have more contact besides a couple of email exchanges. Maybe I could have saved it. Good luck man, hope your future endeavors pay off.


Thank you for funding Wilson for this project my friend, there was nothing else you could do to save the project.
I am ashamed that you receive nothing in return, but I hope you enjoy the beta I have released! Take care my friend.

cube_b3 wrote:
I approached Militia Studio to assist them with marketing. Once Josh reciprocated I established communication with the three people involved and started pitching ideas. As far as communication is concerned, PH3NOM disappeared really early. The last message he sent me was on December 20th.
> I was trying to get an interview done for a website that would attract some attention towards Militia Studio.
> I was building them a website
> I was also designing a logo for them.

Josh essentially connected me with Wilson and checked out. I wanted to develop a portfolio website. Featuring PH3NOM's past work as Militia Studios history. This would have provided them some history for their KS. I poured many hours on the website that I offered to host for free!

I should also add here that ISOTOPE was working with PH3NOM to help fix 3DGE so that Slave could finally be released but he checked out of that project... Corbachu was really stressed out.

I don't want to throw PH3NOM under the bus. But I worked with both of them and Wilson retains communication with me, yet I haven't heard from Josh since December 20th.


I sincerely thank you for attempting to assist the project, but you NEED to understand a few basic details.

First of all, you did NOT work with us, please do not misrepresent the authenticity of our brief communications.

You presented a web page to me after our KS campaign had already launched, and I was seriously underwhelmed by what you presented.
It was my belief that you simply copied from an html template, and added some copy and paste text from the forums here.
Much of the information in the page was from some other games, and you can tell from my correspondence that I was not impressed with the information in the page.
I had hoped that Wilson had the time to work with you to correct the information, as I was seriously too busy, otherwise I would have created a web page myself, with dynamic content that would have been much more appealing than what you demonstrated.
That is why I stopped replying to you; a lousy web page would not help a failing KS campaign.

Next, you have no idea what I have contributed to ISOTOPE with absolutely nothing except for a coders cable in return.
I spent several upon several hours helping those guys, with so little as a thank you in return.
So do not act like you have any fucking room to speak on a subject that you have no idea of.
I did what I could for them, with no motivation other than to help a fellow Dreamcast project, but had to make a priority shift to develop my own game, while maintaining a full time job.
I do not have to explain myself to you, and ISOTOPE should be thanking me for what I did contribute, for what little I received in return.

GyroVorbis wrote:
PH3NOM, I love and respect you man, I really do... but I think you're making a mistake.

I had been out of touch with the Dreamcast scene for a few years while I was focusing more on the PC-side of Elysian Shadows development. As soon as I returned to the scene and was catching up with the Programming Discussion board, I immediately noticed you and your work. For me, you came out of nowhere and were really one of the few developers who was still actively seeking to push the limits of the console. Your work has been phenomenal, and even though you slightly intimidated me, I felt an immediate sense of respect towards you and what you were doing. You were like having another BlackAura/BlueCrab around, in my mind.

Regardless of what you do, you will always have a friend and an admirer in me, man. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and humbly thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you've given to this scene. You're a success story to me.


Gyro, man, you make me blush!
I had never realized that I was the one who intimidated you, I was always under the impression it was quite the opposite!
I have an equal amount of respect for you, no matter how things have turned out after your KS campaign succeeded.
Your testament is very encouraging indeed, to overcome all of those obstacles, and still be unwavering in your dedication to your project.

I have spoken with you privately about your personal situation, and now I have even more respect for you for speaking about your problems publicly.
Stay strong my friend, and do no relapse on chemical decency; pharmaceutical pills are the devil in disguise.

I will always consider you a God among mere mortals here in the DC community, and I look forward to the release of Elysian Shadows one day when it is ready!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
PH3NOM wrote:
To everyone here in the community, thank you for your kind words and support! It really encourages me to consider returning to DC coding sometime in the future, however, I can not make any promises at this time.


I really hope you do. Both Elysian Shadows and In the Line of Fire represented to me an evolution of the DC scene. While all of the currently existing indie games have been great pioneers, we haven't seen games with the technical capabilities of retail games. We are marching forward towards that goal and ITLOF was a big step.

It really bummed me out when the kickstarter began because I could tell almost immediately that it wasn't going to make it. There was all the potential in the world for it to be great but the pieces weren't there yet for it to be on kickstarter. At the time, due to the holiday season I didn't have money to pledge but I actually put in a pledge anyway because I knew I wouldn't get charged unless it made it. Hearing all of what happened is really depressing.

It's unfortunate that we have people who prey on the scene for their own personal gains. I know all too well what dealing with Bilal is like. He has tried and tried to use this site to push traffic to his projects and build his CV. He seems to attempt to do this with every project/site in the scene. No matter what he offers to do for "free" he has an ulterior motive. I have no doubt he legitimately loves the DC scene (it's not like the Dreamcast is the first place someone would go to get their name out to the world or make money) but his motives are always self-serving.

However, it is very encouraging to know that we are attracting people with money like Lotus who want to invest in DC development.

Anyway, best of luck to you PH3NOM. You have talent and I hope you use it well. I just hope more that the talent ends up being used back here in the DC scene. ;)

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:58 am 
Offline
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Posts: 442
|darc| wrote:
Hearing all of what happened is really depressing.

Totally agree with you darc, as you already know it's not that long ago since I took an interest once more in this place and the Dreamcast in general, and even though I've contributed nothing of note to the indie scene it really IS depressing to see that certain individuals are still causing problems for the ever decreasing community of genuine supporters.

|darc| wrote:
Anyway, best of luck to you PH3NOM. You have talent and I hope you use it well. I just hope more that the talent ends up being used back here in the DC scene.

Ditto.

_________________
Across the Universe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:23 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
DCDayDreamer wrote:
the ever decreasing community of genuine supporters.


I dunno about that. The community here has declined in numbers, but that's because we traditionally have focused on emulators, software utilities, and non-commercial homebrew games. People used the DC for emulators and utilities (media players etc.) in the past because it was a good platform for those things, but it isn't anymore; that's been replaced by better, more convenient, more powerful platforms for emulation and digital media. We're still one of the best places to go for discussion of development/programming, though that is not as glamorous of a topic for the general public :)

But the DC is still an adequate system for indie commercial games, and I believe that there is still as strong of an interest as there ever was for indie commercial games. Titles still seem to sell out of their first prints, go back for reprint distribution, etc.

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:38 am 
Offline
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Posts: 442
|darc| wrote:
I dunno about that

Apologies, I was trying to keep things short and diplomatic. I wasn't referring to end users, just expressing my disappointment at 'certain individuals' that cause problems for coders that genuinely support the community by contributing without any ulterior motive.

_________________
Across the Universe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 4:51 am
Posts: 3937
Location: pakistan,karachi
GyroVorbis wrote:
What you did the other day on Sega Nerds is the most disgustingly morally reprehensible thing I've ever seen in all my dealing with the press. You led a team on and made them produce content for you, just so you would have an excuse to promote a game that you are affiliated with that has nothing to do with this scene on a site you moderate for.


He's left a host of attacks my way, allow me to address them please.

I think I spent less than 3 months with him on PR. During that time I reasoned with him that quitting his job is not a good idea. I simply didn't see enough of the game. Nonetheless, we talked and he said more ground will be covered once he works on it full time. I also warned him the game will not make it out and pointed out the disasters of Redux and Pier Solar which were unfolding then.

Nonetheless, he was confident and I was going to support him whether the KS would be successful or not. I made the exact same offer to Militia and Alice's Dream Tournament team.

To summarize my contributions I booked him on 4 podcasts, promoted him on numerous websites, created a wikipedia page for him, where his impatience nearly got me banned from the platform and put every other indie game page I've made at risk. He concludes that I need ES? But I've had nothing to do with ES for years. He calls me a corrupt reporter. I wonder if he knows the definition of corruption. As I never billed him and given the game isn't out years later, I can't benefit in any way, shape or form by being associated with it.

After not doing anything with ES, I made a mistake. I saw he had somewhat of a remarkable legends and lore trailer attached to a super long AiGD video. I didn't bother watching the whole video, so if I can't be bothered to watch the whole episode, I contacted him via ES Facebook page and requested that the legends and lore trailer be uploaded as a separate video so that it gets the game more views and we can share it on Sega Nerds.

Since, Nerds had not covered ES in nearly 3 years. I gave a quick synopsis of the project linking to past Podcasts, and news articles we had written on it. There was no point regurgitating old news and just mentioning everything in passing with hyperlinks, seemed serviceable. I then briefly briefly covered what happened in the last few years and why the game isn't out yet. I stated GyroVorbis lost his team almost immediately after the KS. Some members of the team went on to do this, however as evident with the trailer the team is moving forward.

Read the article for yourself:
http://www.seganerds.com/2017/02/09/lat ... -and-lore/

Falco messages me a shit storm and asks me to delete Towards the Pantheon or something to that effect. I explain my rationale, I tell him if something is untrue let me know we will issue a retraction. We talked and concluded on a positive note. But clearly, I was wrong cause he flings this shit here as if... I don't even know what goes in his bi-polar brain.

Similarly, he accuses me here for steeling a developer. As if I kidnapped him and locked him in my basement. What is wrong with you? Here's what happened, when I was in the team I told Connor, Isotope sent you an email years ago about using some of your music but he never heard back from you. I think since you are working on a Dreamcast it would be really cool if your musical efforts where in other games too. Falco messaged me outside the group chat all pissed as if I am steeling his musician for Isotope. I explained to him DJGeki has contributed in nearly all GSP games. Steve Thompson has contributed in multiple games as well. I think it is cool marketing. Falco concluded it is up to Connor. I assume that is the end of that and we worked it out. Especially since I was still in the team. Clearly, I was wrong.

Lastly, Falco goes on to say everyone who works with me hates working with me. Yet, Militia welcomed me on board. Aren't they a studio formed in this message board? Beyond DC Emu, I still have functional relationships with all devs associated with GSP. Across the pond, I am credited in Alice's Dreams Tournament, they even offered to draw me as a playable character in the game.

I regularly get products from HUCast to organize contests for them. Falco actually won one of those contests, and I had to haggle him to post a selfie with his prize. Those were the terms and conditions of the contest. Additionally, I've conducted multiple interviews for Senile Team. By far, the most professional and my favorite studio to promote. Hopefully, I can do another interview with Roel this year.

I really was and probably still am happy for Falco. I thought he's turned the corner, he recently did a fantastic presentation on the VMU, Elysian Shadows both as a game and an engine seems to be moving forward really well. Additionally, so proud to see that he got married and has completed his masters PhD, things seemed stable.

I wish him well. I really do, please feel free to be done with me cause I did my job. I got you the Wiki page. I booked you the podcasts and you went ahead and got some other PR rep, who I was open to collaborating with, I figured he knew more than me so maybe I could learn a thing or two. But nope, you got nothing with the PR. Now, I will hold back from insulting you any further.

Hopefully, you truly were done in your last post and won't even bother reading or responding to this because if you do, you will continue to argue like a mad man, and we would go in circles.

Best of luck.

_________________
Image
www.dreamcast-scene.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 4:51 am
Posts: 3937
Location: pakistan,karachi
|darc| wrote:
It's unfortunate that we have people who prey on the scene for their own personal gains. I know all too well what dealing with Bilal is like. He has tried and tried to use this site to push traffic to his projects and build his CV. He seems to attempt to do this with every project/site in the scene. No matter what he offers to do for "free" he has an ulterior motive. I have no doubt he legitimately loves the DC scene (it's not like the Dreamcast is the first place someone would go to get their name out to the world or make money) but his motives are always self-serving.


I really didn't want to discuss people harming the scene with the likes of you.

This hacker who stole DC Emu with grandiose plans to revitalize the website has left it in ruins. I know of at least one person personally, who was a contributor to the Wiki who left explicitly citing him but I won't attack him hiding behind others any further than than.

I don't bother writing for DC Emu because I feel Darc, who runs the website doesn't do anything. Yes, he renews the domain name and pays the hosting but that would be about it. He also has not been able to bring writers on staff to pick up the workload or give contributors like myself any recognition. You can browse the DC Emu wiki for my contribution and evaluate for yourself my ulterior motives. Similarly search the news posts forum and see my ulterior motives by reading my news posts.

I regularly wrote for this site up until maybe a year or two ago and yes, I did not write exclusively for this site because I envision the scene as composed of specialized websites but a united news feed. Hence, when I interviewed devs or made a news post I shared it here along with whatever site I may have been writing for at the time. Other than that I don't know what personal gain or ulterior motives, he is going on about. Don't say shit, show evidence.

In spite of everything, like he sees that I care for the seen. I too think he cares for the scene so I have attempted over and over to build a working relationship with him, however last year I told him my continued contribution is contingent on recognition. I could share the PM where he agreed and like his leadership of the site. He proceeded to do nothing.

I still care for the scene, so it is frustrating to see how DC Emu still winds up attracting devs and in return I see him doing nothing. Most recently, I pm'ed him requesting to move a simple thread by Senile Team's latest game "Interpid Izzy". He could not be arsed to do that much. I wonder what ulterior motive he perceived I had.

That said, he has mentioned that he struggles with personal problems i.e. depression and I don't want to exacerbate it by insulting him on not doing our collective hobby well. I only respond cause he criticized me without looking at himself. I would love to add a successful developer to my CV however Elysian Shadows Team and Militia Software can't really get there, if they don't have a game in the market. Yet, I still spent hours on them and would probably do it again, if they wanted me to.

_________________
Image
www.dreamcast-scene.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 4:51 am
Posts: 3937
Location: pakistan,karachi
PH3NOM wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
I approached Militia Studio to assist them with marketing. Once Josh reciprocated I established communication with the three people involved and started pitching ideas. As far as communication is concerned, PH3NOM disappeared really early. The last message he sent me was on December 20th.
> I was trying to get an interview done for a website that would attract some attention towards Militia Studio.
> I was building them a website
> I was also designing a logo for them.

Josh essentially connected me with Wilson and checked out...


I sincerely thank you for attempting to assist the project, but you NEED to understand a few basic details.

First of all, you did NOT work with us, please do not misrepresent the authenticity of our brief communications.

You presented a web page to me after our KS campaign had already launched, and I was seriously underwhelmed by what you presented.
It was my belief that you simply copied from an html template, and added some copy and paste text from the forums here.
Much of the information in the page was from some other games, and you can tell from my correspondence that I was not impressed with the information in the page.
I had hoped that Wilson had the time to work with you to correct the information, as I was seriously too busy, otherwise I would have created a web page myself, with dynamic content that would have been much more appealing than what you demonstrated.
That is why I stopped replying to you; a lousy web page would not help a failing KS campaign.


First and foremost, you are welcomed. It is great to be appreciated.

I was clearly oblivious to the mounting anxiety on your side however, the things I have listed are in fact what I was doing for your studio. I was doing more than just a "lousy" website. I don't remember how much I emailed you, since I didn't hear back from you but these plans were discussed with Wilson. I proceeded forward with the understanding that we were working together. Obviously, I'm not doing game development but I wanted to book you on websites and podcasts. Do what PR requires.

It may be unfair for me to say anything further based on what you have shared now but at the time, you could have told me you don't like the template I was using. I mean someone is spending hours on your project for free, the least you can do is say... "hey, I appreciate it. Is this the best you can do?"

PH3NOM wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
I should also add here that ISOTOPE was working with PH3NOM to help fix 3DGE so that Slave could finally be released but he checked out of that project... Corbachu was really stressed out.

I don't want to throw PH3NOM under the bus. But I worked with both of them and Wilson retains communication with me, yet I haven't heard from Josh since December 20th.


Next, you have no idea what I have contributed to ISOTOPE with absolutely nothing except for a coders cable in return.
I spent several upon several hours helping those guys, with so little as a thank you in return.
So do not act like you have any fucking room to speak on a subject that you have no idea of.
I did what I could for them, with no motivation other than to help a fellow Dreamcast project, but had to make a priority shift to develop my own game, while maintaining a full time job.
I do not have to explain myself to you, and ISOTOPE should be thanking me for what I did contribute, for what little I received in return.


You are absolutely right. You don't have to explain yourself to me.

All I know is that Corbachu is in a bad place with his game and was really depending on you to help out. I probably shouldn't have stated things the way I did and I apologize, however from my point of view, you really came off as someone who just ghosted. Surely, you can see things my way. Without knowing how busy you are, or your personal pressures.

Please read Isotope's official post. They talk about you. That is the official statement, stick with that rather than what I say.
http://tdgmods.blogspot.ca/2017/01/what ... -sega.html

Lastly, I do hope that Wilson and you could find resolve and collaborate. Find way to work with each others strength in the future. He remains committed to the Dreamcast-Scene and has plans to do more.

_________________
Image
www.dreamcast-scene.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:37 pm
Posts: 160
Hi Josh,

I don't know if you've seen my posts in the other thread but I'd like to volunteer my services, should you choose to resume development of a Dreamcast title.

I would love to expand my level design skill set, and I could possibly provide art for the title and loading screens as I have some ability as an artist (traditional media only, I have no real experience with texture design). I'd be quite comfortable in designing disc labels and box art, and would also be happy to run any social media accounts.

I love gaming, and have had my Dreamcast since launch. My motivations would be to help create a fun title for the community, gain additional experience in games development, and to work on something for my portfolio.

I'm glad you released the demo publicly, and I was super excited to try it. Sliding collision and texture filtering would be wonderful additions if at all possible, but what is already there is nothing short of excellent. You should be incredibly proud of what has already been achieved.

As my day job currently keeps me out of the house for 55 hours a week, deadlines aren't for me. Equally, I am volunteering my time and skills with no expectations, so I'd be just as happy working on a freeware title as I would a commercial one. As long as quality is the priority, I'm interested.

Anyway, I understand if you're not yet ready to think about returning to Dreamcast development. Likewise, I understand if you're not interested in my help even if you do. However, if you would like to discuss things further, now or at a later date, please do get in touch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
cube_b3 wrote:
This hacker who stole DC Emu with grandiose plans to revitalize the website has left it in ruins. I know of at least one person personally, who was a contributor to the Wiki who left explicitly citing him but I won't attack him hiding behind others any further than than.


"Hacker"? It is ridiculous to recount this situation, but I suppose it is necessary--at the time I took over "ownership" of the site, I had been the one in charge of it for years. I was the one maintaining it. And Sean had not contributed a single thing since around 2002; he was profiting off of the works of software creators and those like me who wrote content revolving around those software creators. When Sean decided to use DCEmu to promote his other (all horrible and long failed by now) websites, most of us had had enough, and BlueCrab, who is by far one of the biggest contributors to the Dreamcast scene in all of its history, was especially vocal and was being threatened to be banned by Sean because of his disagreement. Sean didn't even know who BlueCrab fucking was. Surely you can see that Sean had to go, or this site would not only be in "ruins" like you say it is, but it would be gone.

Sean and I are on good terms now. We've spoken several times over the years on Facebook. I have to admit, there were times where I felt guilty for what happened. But at the end of the day I really don't think this site would even exist anymore if I hadn't intervened.

As for whoever it was that left, that bums me out. I'm not asking for you to reveal that person's identity, but if that person happens to be reading this and wants to talk to me, please PM me. Even if you have not the slightest desire to come back, I'd love to hear what I did wrong. Even if I cannot right that wrong, I would love to know so I don't make the same mistake twice.

cube_b3 wrote:
I don't bother writing for DC Emu because I feel Darc, who runs the website doesn't do anything. Yes, he renews the domain name and pays the hosting but that would be about it. He also has not been able to bring writers on staff to pick up the workload or give contributors like myself any recognition. You can browse the DC Emu wiki for my contribution and evaluate for yourself my ulterior motives. Similarly search the news posts forum and see my ulterior motives by reading my news posts.


cube, what exactly is it do you think that I owe other people? You must understand that I get nothing out of this site. When I took over, I swore an oath that I would never, ever monetize DCEmu because of what Sean had done to monetize it. I wasn't gonna be the guy who took over the site from someone exploiting it only to turn around an exploit it myself like a hypocrite. I have never received a single penny for anything I have ever done for the Dreamcast community. I've bought many indie games I really had no interest in playing, and I've invested hundreds of dollars in game development, some of which I haven't seen any return on. I wish I could do more, but I cannot. I am a human being and I have limits. The Dreamcast is not my entire life. I make time for the Dreamcast scene because it makes me happy, but sometimes I need other things in my life. I pay the bills to host data, I set up a forum and keep it up to date and secure for this community to exchange ideas and interact, and I have a wiki set up so that the community can collectively write documentation. I see my biggest role as creating a platform so that others can do what they have passion for. I love seeing activity around the Dreamcast, so this brings me joy. Somehow, to you, this just isn't enough and I for some reason owe everyone more?

I have felt quite guilty for not being able to do more for this site. It's caused lots of stress and anxiety in the past for me--and I mean anxiety that really, really ate at me--but I don't sweat it anymore. I know I've made enemies and I know that sometimes it was my fault and sometimes it wasn't. I don't hold grudges anymore, though. I have to see myself for what I am. I am no one special, but I feel I've made a positive impact upon the collective Dreamcast community and for that I am thankful.

cube_b3 wrote:
I regularly wrote for this site up until maybe a year or two ago and yes, I did not write exclusively for this site because I envision the scene as composed of specialized websites but a united news feed. Hence, when I interviewed devs or made a news post I shared it here along with whatever site I may have been writing for at the time. Other than that I don't know what personal gain or ulterior motives, he is going on about. Don't say shit, show evidence.


Aside from mountains of historical Dreamcast information contained in these forums and a continuing great developer community... sure, this site is on life support. You say it, I admit it. It was quite clear that you wanted to be part of DCEmu and help it grow. In order to draw people in to this site aside from the forum, we need content. You said you wanted to write on this site. Then you proceeded to write content for other sites and simply linkdropped it on our news feed. When we needed content to draw new people in, you just dropped links to get people already here to leave for other sites. I was fine with the content not necessarily being exclusive, but I asked you to cut it out with vigorously linking outside sites. You persisted. So yes, I take that as a personal gain given your line of work is to create publicity and here you are on DCEmu constantly dropping links to other sites. :roll:

cube_b3 wrote:
In spite of everything, like he sees that I care for the seen. I too think he cares for the scene so I have attempted over and over to build a working relationship with him, however last year I told him my continued contribution is contingent on recognition.


What recognition do you think you deserve? I made you a newsposter, gave you access to directly publish articles on the site with no one having to prescreen them, I put you on staff/gave you access to the staff forum, gave you access to edit the wiki. Exactly what recognition beyond that do you think you deserve and what have you done to deserve it other than copy/paste articles you wrote for other sites?

cube_b3 wrote:
I could share the PM where he agreed and like his leadership of the site. He proceeded to do nothing.


You forget this site is owned 50/50, me and BlueCrab. Although BlueCrab tends to be quite passive about most stuff, I am not the sole King here. After our discussion, I brought it up with BlueCrab and he vetoed the idea. He did not want to involve you more in this site. And in retrospect, seeing what you've done with other projects and sites, I think that was the right decision.

cube_b3 wrote:
I still care for the scene, so it is frustrating to see how DC Emu still winds up attracting devs and in return I see him doing nothing.


Oh, I do plenty involving the Dreamcast, just a lot of it doesn't involve DCEmu. link, for example.

cube_b3 wrote:
Most recently, I pm'ed him requesting to move a simple thread by Senile Team's latest game "Interpid Izzy". He could not be arsed to do that much. I wonder what ulterior motive he perceived I had.

That said, he has mentioned that he struggles with personal problems i.e. depression and I don't want to exacerbate it by insulting him on not doing our collective hobby well. I only respond cause he criticized me without looking at himself. I would love to add a successful developer to my CV however Elysian Shadows Team and Militia Software can't really get there, if they don't have a game in the market. Yet, I still spent hours on them and would probably do it again, if they wanted me to.


Feel free to speak freely about your feelings. As I sad earlier in this post, I have worked past my anxiety and depression, and I can take criticism like a man and own up to my mistakes.

That having been said, allow me to respond critically and I hope I don't hurt your feelings. Like PH3NOM, I stopped responding to you because it wasn't worth my time anymore. You have a poor grasp of English; your writings have basic mistakes I would expect high school writers to make. When you wrote on here, I felt like I really should go back and edit your posts for grammar. Sometimes I felt as if I might as well have just written the content from scratch myself because it was so poor. But hey, you were one of the very few people writing something so I appreciated that, but then it added the extra issue that if you're cross-publishing an article I can't really edit it because if it's not DCEmu's content, it's not my place to edit it.

Then, when appropriate protocol would have been to write a little blurb news article about Interpid Izzy, you just wanted me to move Roel's thread to the news forum and have his post be the news article when his wasn't very appropriate for such placement.

So just like PH3NOM stopped responding to you because he felt your web development wasn't up to par, I just ignored you. It wasn't laziness. I inferred hostility from your PM and just said fuck it, I'm not dealing with him anymore.

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Posts: 442
cube_b3 wrote:
This hacker who stole DC Emu with grandiose plans to revitalize the website has left it in ruins.

That's a really cheap shot, you've been around long enough to remember what a mess dcemulation.com had become. Everyone that's been around since the early days of the Dreamcast community knows EXACTLY what ruins are, and you too should know more than most, no owner/maintainer names mentioned here but let's take a quick look at some ruins shall we?

Boob!
Consolevision
DCEmu
DCEvolution
DCFactory
DCFrance
DCHelp
DCHomebrew
DCReload
DCVision
Dreamcast-Scene
Sbiffy

That's just a quick list off the top of my head, there's loads more sites that have been left to 'ruin' or simply vanished into obscurity, the only remaining popular sites with Dreamcast related 'content' involves monetization in one form or another.

At the very least, and as insignificant a fact it may be, the fact that anyone is actually posting here proves one small thing:
|darc| wrote:
We're still one of the best places to go for discussion of development/programming

_________________
Across the Universe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 4:51 am
Posts: 3937
Location: pakistan,karachi
@DCDD You are right. I guess I was angry and I just wanted to swing back and reply Darc the same way I felt, he attacked me.

P.S. DCS is not dead. Metafox just messed up things with an update. The original developer of DCS WP, is working on updating it and hosting it on his server, so we won't have the restrictions we've had to deal with.

We have everything WP and Wiki backed up. Metafox has been dealing with some personal problems which has caused delays.

Once the new site is done, I personally plan on moving everything to a new domain and host it myself.

|darc| wrote:
cube, what exactly is it do you think that I owe other people?


15 years ago, this site was booming and it kept booming even in 2008. The interface of the website sucked and we had annoying pop up ads, but it seemed like it was thriving. You came along, invited me on staff and I thought we may actually exceed DCS. Nothing happened. I feel you owed the community to be a leader, you were supposed to build a team, save the scene and you didn't accomplish anything beyond hacking a website.

Numerous people from other websites including myself, approached you countless times to help save there sites, merge the forums, mods here were on board with a united community, but you the one with the power to do it. Did nothing. We lost a lot of sites, they died slow painful deaths in front of our eyes. See the list that DCDD posted. I expected you to be the one to do it. Maybe I am completely wrong to expect that off you. Maybe I am pissed off that Max abandoned us and I transferred those expectations on to you. I don't know... I am sorry for expecting so much.

|darc| wrote:
I have felt quite guilty for not being able to do more for this site. It's caused lots of stress and anxiety in the past for me--and I mean anxiety that really, really ate at me--but I don't sweat it anymore. I know I've made enemies and I know that sometimes it was my fault and sometimes it wasn't. I don't hold grudges anymore, though. I have to see myself for what I am. I am no one special, but I feel I've made a positive impact upon the collective Dreamcast community and for that I am thankful.


More on the previous point, I was and am just a gamer. Who can barely write. You are a professional developer. You've fucking made emulators. DCS forums until we closed them got more traffic than DC Emu. We had devers popping up constantly, asking questions. I had no way of answering them. I posted for help in off topic, I went to the staff forum, I pm'ed you over and over.

I didn't ask to be the leader of DCS. It fell in my lap when Max fled in 2013. But the community was dying even before that. You watched it died and didn't offer to help. I can't imagine myself being the only one inboxing you. Whatever 007 was doing, he hosted dozens upon dozens of site. Hell, he even hosted Dream-alive that is the fucking reason I ended up here.

This site used to mean something. It doesn't. Every new Dev that comes here. Goes to DC-Talk or various website first.

|darc| wrote:
Aside from mountains of historical Dreamcast information contained in these forums and a continuing great developer community... sure, this site is on life support. You say it, I admit it. It was quite clear that you wanted to be part of DCEmu and help it grow. In order to draw people in to this site aside from the forum, we need content. You said you wanted to write on this site. Then you proceeded to write content for other sites and simply linkdropped it on our news feed. When we needed content to draw new people in, you just dropped links to get people already here to leave for other sites. I was fine with the content not necessarily being exclusive, but I asked you to cut it out with vigorously linking outside sites. You persisted. So yes, I take that as a personal gain given your line of work is to create publicity and here you are on DCEmu constantly dropping links to other sites. :roll:


This is good, we are having a dialogue, this is great.
That is your side of the story. Here is mine.

15 years back my English was terrible. It still sucks, just because you can speak fluently doesn't make you a writer. Grammar continues to be my enemy. How was I able to write? I had Max, he spent hours with the staff going over our articles, teaching me how to write. He even recorded video tutorials and sent them to the staff so we could write. He never bullied me because my comprehension was poor. At one point, I destroyed the entire news feed in the wiki. I panicked and messaged him and he simply reverted it to the previous state and showed me, what I did wrong. Proceeded to educate me, how a wiki works... I don't think in all the years, I ever said thank you to him :cry: .

Then we have you, this is my recollection of our first interaction. We met on DC EMU chat. I asked for Propeller Arena download and you flipped out at me. I apologized, but you kept attacking me. BoneyCork had to kick you out of the chat room. He then told me Darc used to be a Mod. But he has anger problems so we kicked him out of the staff. All I would do here is end up breaking rules and get yelled at, while some mods were nice. They'd talk and educate me, overall I don't think I was an asset so I left.

5 years later (roughly 2008) you started making big splashes with a cool new redesign and I started to slowly re-engage in the forum. Then the whole takeover happened where you vilified 007 and I assume he probably was a terrible person. Especially since you made the bold shift to Wiki. All of a sudden I get an inbox from you and you give me Wiki access. Max after experiencing hyperbole from DCS community and his engagements with RSG had already distanced himself from DCS and Kingbuzzo was in college, to busy to contribute. Leaving me and Christuserloser essentially running the site. So I started off writing for DC EMU and then posting it later on DCS.

A couple of years later, I started writing for this new Sega site SegaBITS. By this time Christ had also stopped working on DCS and I was sustaining it alone. I had learned so much from that site, I felt obligated and still do to continue working there.

So basically I write for three sites. None of them get me any money. While contributing here I came across the legendary Dan Loosen and we fought briefly cause I as you put it "have a boner for Max", but we eventually started respecting each other and are excellent friends to the point that I am credited in his upcoming games, again, I don't get a cent off of that and if SL@VE doesn't come out, I don't have anything to add on my portfolio. So besides doing a bit off proof reading work for Alice Dreams Tournament kickstarter my portfolio has nothing from the DC scene. Now this may sound like a tangent but working with Dan has been extremely rewarding. He educated me. Helped me learn shit, just like Max while he was able to relaunch GSP. Simultaneously I am part of a kick ass community at Bits, a team of passionate Sega fan boys. I wrote articles, I had a friend all the way from the original Sega.com Dreamcast board who proof read my article and gave me feedback on writing better. We even had a graphic design guy that added awesome custom artwork for my interviews.

2011 (approx), I come up with a major idea to interview NDGEVTEAM and SENILE TEAM and post them across sites. DC EMU being the primary website cause I didn't know how to use wordpress. The editor on Bits, writes a fancy intro for the interview that I copy paste into the wiki here and DCS. Though DCS sucks cause it is ridiculously out of date. It is a brilliant success, everyone is happy.

2012, I do interviews again however Max has updated DCS to Wordpress and I am proficient at it and prefer it over the rusty old Wiki.
2013, I was no longer with Bits. I do an interview with Duranik. I don't have Bits editorial help anymore so I beg the staff here to help proof read Duranik interview as neither me nor the developer are great at English. No one on staff can be arsed to help out. To date, that interview rots exclusively in DC EMU Wiki. I feel broken, underappreciated and I start to resent DC EMU for not helping out. It made me look bad in front of the developer who spent weeks on the interview with me.
2014, we have our first fight. I shared an interview with Isotope that Damadfiddler (DMF) did for DC EMU. I already knew that he was on our Admin team (he later told me that someone made him an Admin but he never contributed to the site). The way I approached it was sharing attracts more attention to the developer. I looked at the websites to be a part of one big Sega community. Clearly my perception was wrong, Ian (DMF) inboxes me, tells me that he understands my perspective, however Darc is really mad, and I should take the interview off DCS. I didn't get it cause the developer wanted me to share the interview, the interviewer was cool with me sharing, but I was still taking the interview down and just linking back to DC EMU? It felt strange cause whenever I posted on DC Emu, I had links to other websites, sure, but the whole content would be there.

2015, Sega Nerds is resurrected and I somehow end up on staff. Bits and Nerds shared much of the same team. Bits existed cause Chris Powell was deployed and he couldn't run the site anymore. I used to send him links to my articles back in the day, to share them on Nerds, so now that I had been trained in Wordpress, he got me on staff to write. But like Max, he worked with me bringing my English to the where it's at today. He isn't Max. But as any capable leader, he always takes the time to help me. It helps that I am actually a writer now and write for a living for non gaming websites and have paid editors whose job is to make sure I write eloquently.

Since DC EMU had all the drama and no assistance, I drastically reduced my time, hence my articles were reduced to copy pasted first paragraph with a link to the full article.

I am not point fingers here Darc, I am bluntly laying out everything I genuinely believe.

Re-reading this post it all goes back to that Duranik interview, I gave up on the site then. It just took me a few years to realize it.

|darc| wrote:
What recognition do you think you deserve? I made you a newsposter, gave you access to directly publish articles on the site with no one having to prescreen them, I put you on staff/gave you access to the staff forum, gave you access to edit the wiki. Exactly what recognition beyond that do you think you deserve and what have you done to deserve it other than copy/paste articles you wrote for other sites?


You get me and DCS staffers to help with your wiki. That's not recognition. Now that I remember it, we all flocked here when you got the wiki up, but we quickly left cause we felt bullied. KingBuzzo the head of DCS before me told me to leave this site. We can probably dig up a thread where he defended me or something. Also pre-screening is important. Everywhere I write, professionally or recreation my writing is pre-screened. After six months on Nerds, they stopped pre-screening and were like you are proficient. I still request that my article go through a second pair of eyes, before it reaches the public.

So being allowed to contribute is not recognition. Someone as intelligent as you should know that. I had to send numerous PM's to everyone on staff before I was awarded my news poster badge. I was bullied by some member humping hasney who wrote some homosexual thing instead of news poster under the badge. That was a great feeling. "Chokes on Cock" or whatever he wrote. Great recognition. I will emphasize this again, I demanded that badge. I did not receive it on merit.

|darc| wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
I could share the PM where he agreed and like his leadership of the site. He proceeded to do nothing.


You forget this site is owned 50/50, me and BlueCrab. Although BlueCrab tends to be quite passive about most stuff, I am not the sole King here. After our discussion, I brought it up with BlueCrab and he vetoed the idea. He did not want to involve you more in this site. And in retrospect, seeing what you've done with other projects and sites, I think that was the right decision.


The essence of my posting here has been communication. A leader needs to know how to communicate. You could have communicated. We could have a dialogue, you could have given me appraisal. Do this for the community and you will earn the badge. Nope, you just ghosted.

15 years on this site. I love my new badge by the way. "user with no life" Great recognition.

|darc| wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
Most recently, I pm'ed him requesting to move a simple thread by Senile Team's latest game "Interpid Izzy". He could not be arsed to do that much. I wonder what ulterior motive he perceived I had.


Feel free to speak freely about your feelings. As I sad earlier in this post, I have worked past my anxiety and depression, and I can take criticism like a man and own up to my mistakes.

That having been said, allow me to respond critically and I hope I don't hurt your feelings. Like PH3NOM, I stopped responding to you because it wasn't worth my time anymore. You have a poor grasp of English; your writings have basic mistakes I would expect high school writers to make. When you wrote on here, I felt like I really should go back and edit your posts for grammar. Sometimes I felt as if I might as well have just written the content from scratch myself because it was so poor. But hey, you were one of the very few people writing something so I appreciated that, but then it added the extra issue that if you're cross-publishing an article I can't really edit it because if it's not DCEmu's content, it's not my place to edit it.

Then, when appropriate protocol would have been to write a little blurb news article about Interpid Izzy, you just wanted me to move Roel's thread to the news forum and have his post be the news article when his wasn't very appropriate for such placement.

So just like PH3NOM stopped responding to you because he felt your web development wasn't up to par, I just ignored you. It wasn't laziness. I inferred hostility from your PM and just said fuck it, I'm not dealing with him anymore.


I have spoken freely, the goal here is to not attack you for having a life or personal problems. I didn't write a news post for it because I wasn't given mod status, It wasn't communicated why I had not been given what I feel I deserved and most importantly I wanted to see, if you could be arsed to do anything. How hard and time consuming could it have been to do anything to help out an earnest developer, new to this community?

The way I feel and the departed member feel is that this is some twisted fraternity of bullies. You have no room for new comers, you can give your buddies GyroVorbis and PH3NOM access but not a new comer like Roel. Off course, my perception may have it's flaw cause we have the Xenocider dev posting in the news forum.

In conclusion, I am friends with Wilson. He is a good person who has always been respectful. He reads this forum, for someone who essentially worked 8 full months essentially full time before asking anything off Ph3nom. Yet, he has been painted as the deemon who leeched off the scene for personal gain?

You know he reads these posts and it hurts his feelings. He spent 8 months on a project before PH3NOM sent him like $200. Wow, he totally leeched off the scene for profit. He shared all communication he has had with Ph3nom with me, he was going to post it here in an effort to redeem himself. I asked him to not bother because no matter what he does or I do. We are the leeches who want to make money off the scene. This post alone has taken a couple of hours. I should be doing something more productive. Or at least surround myself with a positive hobby, where my editor can at least pat me on the back and let me know I am appreciated. Instead of painted as someone who exploits a website on life support for personal gain.

...A few deep breaths...

I already said in conclusion so it's weird to continue. But we've already established my English is worse than a high school student. Thank you for the new badge. It is true. If I continue to visit this site then I am indeed a user with no life. Please forgive me, for being such an inconvenience to you. I am not being sarcastic. I am sorry. I came here with the best of intentions. I don't know how I fucked up so badly. But it is fitting, my mentor never got any gratitude for all he did. Max did a hundred times more for the Dreamcast scene than I can ever hope to contribute. Yet, I was probably his harshest critic. Wrote a lot of exclusive news posts on this forum calling him out on the way he marketed Solar Struggle, to the way he distributed Sturmwind being a major contributor to his departure.

So it is only fair that I should be vilified like him. I have an idea now how he felt leaving the scene.

I wish this community nothing but the best and maybe one day this forum wouldn't just be the best Dreamcast resource but the best resource for Sega's hardwares legacy. Maybe one day, we can be friends like you and Sean on Facebook.
Take care,
Good bye.

_________________
Image
www.dreamcast-scene.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Posts: 442
cube_b3 wrote:
This site used to mean something. It doesn't. Every new Dev that comes here. Goes to DC-Talk or various website first.

The reason behind that is twofold:

Firstly, if you were new to the Dreamcast and had an interest in possibly developing for the console, where would you start? A search engine would be the starting point for everyone, and a quick search reveals hits ranging from random articles to crappy warez sites.

Secondly, DC-Talk appears to be just another example of the biggest problem that has dogged the Dreamcast community since day one - fragmentation! (search engine hits revealing a 'Christian Rap and Rock trio' simply reiterates my first point above).

The fact that a developer ends up here proves that this place is, at the very least, useful.

cube_b3 wrote:
The way I feel and the departed member feel is that this is some twisted fraternity of bullies.

That sentiment has been bandied around for quite some time, it's also quite disturbing to see it mentioned again. Perhaps some of the old hands need to take a fresh look at things and leave some of the 'fraternity' immaturity and humor where it belongs (the null forum for example).

cube_b3 wrote:
Good bye

That's possibly the best decision you could make at this point in time, you are clearly passionate about the Dreamcast and its community, take some time away from both and enjoy life.

_________________
Across the Universe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
cube_b3 wrote:
15 years ago, this site was booming and it kept booming even in 2008. The interface of the website sucked and we had annoying pop up ads, but it seemed like it was thriving. You came along, invited me on staff and I thought we may actually exceed DCS. Nothing happened. I feel you owed the community to be a leader, you were supposed to build a team, save the scene and you didn't accomplish anything beyond hacking a website.

Numerous people from other websites including myself, approached you countless times to help save there sites, merge the forums, mods here were on board with a united community, but you the one with the power to do it. Did nothing. We lost a lot of sites, they died slow painful deaths in front of our eyes. See the list that DCDD posted. I expected you to be the one to do it. Maybe I am completely wrong to expect that off you. Maybe I am pissed off that Max abandoned us and I transferred those expectations on to you. I don't know... I am sorry for expecting so much.


Man, you can't expect me to "save the scene" alone. I worked with multiple people who wanted to help get things off of the ground. They all disappeared at one point or another. Maybe it was something I did... I don't know. But no one ever told me a reason for leaving or disappearing. And it always seemed to me that it was because for so many of us, life got in the way of things.

cube_b3 wrote:
More on the previous point, I was and am just a gamer. Who can barely write. You are a professional developer. You've fucking made emulators. DCS forums until we closed them got more traffic than DC Emu. We had devers popping up constantly, asking questions. I had no way of answering them. I posted for help in off topic, I went to the staff forum, I pm'ed you over and over.

I didn't ask to be the leader of DCS. It fell in my lap when Max fled in 2013. But the community was dying even before that. You watched it died and didn't offer to help. I can't imagine myself being the only one inboxing you. Whatever 007 was doing, he hosted dozens upon dozens of site. Hell, he even hosted Dream-alive that is the fucking reason I ended up here.

This site used to mean something. It doesn't. Every new Dev that comes here. Goes to DC-Talk or various website first.


You've got this all wrong. I am not a professional developer. I have never written a line of code for money aside from a website or two (which doesn't count anyway). In fact, almost everything I learned about web development, managing databases, etc. was all from running this website. I don't know what makes you think I've written an emulator before, but while I have a lot of technical knowledge on how emulators work from spending so much time here, I could never begin to write the most basic emulator.

I don't know what makes you think I am not hosting sites here? Every single website that was ever hosted on DCEmu is still hosted on DCEmu. Abandoned sites that haven't even been touched by their own authors in over a dozen years? I've gone into their scripts and pages and updated their outdated code to work when new versions of server software deprecated their old code. I spent many hours updating http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/ to work, just to preserve it, when its own author hasn't posted an update since 2004. Plus I've offered to host more new sites. Why don't you go to http://sizious.com and scroll down to the bottom right footer and tell me what you see. Isn't it great that DCEvolution is back? It's 2017 now, but I tried to convince them to come back 5 years ago and offered to host them. They're on Sourceforge right now but I offered to host them now too. By the way, they have a hidden forum on this board where their staff discusses their projects, you just don't have access to it.

What about hosting the official forums for Sylverant? The official forum for Earthcall? The official forum for Reicast?

What you have a problem with is that I wouldn't go along with your vision of DCEmu. I had told you before several times that it merging other forums with DCEmu's forums is a task I am not willing to undertake. It's not easy to merge forum databases to preserve user lists, all posts, etc. on both sides and there was no way in hell I would risk DCEmu's legacy posts for that type of project.

Who else came to me and asked me to host their website and I declined to do so or ignored them?

cube_b3 wrote:
Then we have you, this is my recollection of our first interaction. We met on DC EMU chat. I asked for Propeller Arena download and you flipped out at me. I apologized, but you kept attacking me. BoneyCork had to kick you out of the chat room. He then told me Darc used to be a Mod. But he has anger problems so we kicked him out of the staff. All I would do here is end up breaking rules and get yelled at, while some mods were nice. They'd talk and educate me, overall I don't think I was an asset so I left.


15 years ago I was 14 years old and had just graduated junior high school. I'm sorry I was an asshole to you, but I'm not going to entertain any discussion of feeling guilty to something I did to you in junior high.

cube_b3 wrote:
A couple of years later, I started writing for this new Sega site SegaBITS. By this time Christ had also stopped working on DCS and I was sustaining it alone. I had learned so much from that site, I felt obligated and still do to continue working there.


Why did Christus stop working on DCS? Maybe I could sit here and guilt-trip you into thinking that was your fault and that he left. He left probably because he had other shit to do with his life, just like so many others, and it's nobody's fault. But you want to put that kind of stuff on me.

cube_b3 wrote:
2013, I was no longer with Bits. I do an interview with Duranik. I don't have Bits editorial help anymore so I beg the staff here to help proof read Duranik interview as neither me nor the developer are great at English. No one on staff can be arsed to help out. To date, that interview rots exclusively in DC EMU Wiki.


I'm sorry for that, I really am. Looking back at the thread, Fiddler promised several times he'd get on it and never got around to it. When Fiddler disappeared, I responded saying that I started working on it, but I got tired and I'd finish it later. Really, I'm sorry for that. However, in staff I posted this:

Me, in 2013, wrote:
I do apologize for the lack of time I have had to commit to content development on the front side. On top of working 50hrs/week for my main job, I volunteered at a technology summer camp for young girls last week, I have a side client for whom I'm developing a website and I'm behind schedule with that due to a miscommunication on exactly how much work needed to be done, and work on my house is taking longer than expected so I still haven't moved (living with my parents, a situation that causes a lot of stress and drama). I thought this would all be done with by the end of August as I had said before, but alas, life.


So yeah. Like I said above, and like I said in 2013... life. Might I remind you that I don't monetize this site? Never have, never will?

cube_b3 wrote:
I shared an interview with Isotope that Damadfiddler (DMF) did for DC EMU. I already knew that he was on our Admin team (he later told me that someone made him an Admin but he never contributed to the site). The way I approached it was sharing attracts more attention to the developer. I looked at the websites to be a part of one big Sega community. Clearly my perception was wrong, Ian (DMF) inboxes me, tells me that he understands my perspective, however Darc is really mad, and I should take the interview off DCS.


You didn't just "share" the interview.
Isotope approached me and said that they wanted an EXCLUSIVE interview on DCEmu. I asked Fiddler if he'd get with Corbin and do the interview, and he did.
It would have been perfectly fine if you perhaps wrote a teaser and linked to DCEmu for the interview.

But no.

You copied the ENTIRE interview and stripped out all mentioning of DCEmu.
You watermarked the images from the interview with "Dreamcast-Scene" (You did apologize and say that this wasn't your fault, but you should have known better than to publish our content with a DCS watermark
You called Fiddler a "DCS writer" even though he told me he had barely ever visited DCS before.

It was blatant stealing of content, with no credit. Of course I was furious. I felt like someone stabbed me in the back. I was trying to get some new content up here to draw in new users, I scored an exclusive interview, and you posted that content on other sites with no link back to us!

And Fiddler concurred:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
I'm with |darc| on this one. Isotope actually made a big deal of the fact that they were announcing things through DCEmu (even mentioned it in the 3DGE readme), and when you said you were going to post it elsewhere, I *thought* that meant you were going to reference it back to DCEmu.

Also, as far as I can recall, I've never written anything for DCS, so the edit is both unwarranted and inaccurate.

Please either change the post to CLEARLY indicate that the interview was conducted by and for DCEmu (and that the 3DGE release was done through DCEmu), or take it down. In an age of content sharing, it's especially important to attribute things properly and not make it look like you're trying to take credit for them.


If the Duranik interview was the moment you lost interest in working with DCEmu, then this shitttastic debacle was the moment I lost interest in working with you. How could you possibly sit here and act like I have no room to think you're a snake when you did that to us? I have every right to be skeptical of your intentions after that situation.

cube_b3 wrote:
You get me and DCS staffers to help with your wiki. That's not recognition. Now that I remember it, we all flocked here when you got the wiki up, but we quickly left cause we felt bullied. KingBuzzo the head of DCS before me told me to leave this site.


I asked you before and I ask you again: What recognition do you want? Seriously, what am I supposed to do? Give you a trophy? Are you doing this because you love the Dreamcast or not?

And I don't know what you're talking about regarding getting DCS staffers on board. I don't ever recall recruiting anyone from DCS? It was always you who approached me about getting DCS people over here, because of your "unified scene site" vision that I never agreed with.

cube_b3 wrote:
So being allowed to contribute is not recognition. Someone as intelligent as you should know that. I had to send numerous PM's to everyone on staff before I was awarded my news poster badge. I was bullied by some member humping hasney who wrote some homosexual thing instead of news poster under the badge. That was a great feeling. "Chokes on Cock" or whatever he wrote. Great recognition. I will emphasize this again, I demanded that badge. I did not receive it on merit.


I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, because I don't see any PMs in my box about getting a newsposter badge and having newsposter access is granted through adding you to the newsposters' group which automatically badges you.

As far as what Hasney did, I don't remember it but I apologize for that... Many people didn't want you on Staff, I decided to take a chance on you. And Hasney ragequit the site by deleting his entire post history like 6 years ago, over something that had nothing to do with this situation.

cube_b3 wrote:
15 years on this site. I love my new badge by the way. "user with no life" Great recognition.


I took you out of the newsposting group and your badge dropped back to default. That's the default badge. You wanted to be a mod so bad but you aren't even familiar with how the ranks work?

cube_b3 wrote:
I didn't write a news post for it because I wasn't given mod status, It wasn't communicated why I had not been given what I feel I deserved and most importantly I wanted to see, if you could be arsed to do anything. How hard and time consuming could it have been to do anything to help out an earnest developer, new to this community?

The way I feel and the departed member feel is that this is some twisted fraternity of bullies. You have no room for new comers, you can give your buddies GyroVorbis and PH3NOM access but not a new comer like Roel. Off course, my perception may have it's flaw cause we have the Xenocider dev posting in the news forum.


Gyro has been here for a long ass time, he's more than earned his moderatorship. PH3NOM is not my "buddy" -- if you could be arsed to visit the programming forum every once in a while you'd notice that he was at that time one of the most prominent contributors to the discussion there, and he earned his moderatorship. I haven't really had any communication with him outside of his contributions to that forum. He's not in some "club" of ours. Same with bogglez, who I made a mod recently. I hate to say it man, but you don't contribute much on the forum discussion, and I often have to go behind you to fix things and help you complete tasks, it didn't make sense for me to make you a mod.

cube_b3 wrote:
I wish this community nothing but the best and maybe one day this forum wouldn't just be the best Dreamcast resource but the best resource for Sega's hardwares legacy. Maybe one day, we can be friends like you and Sean on Facebook.
Take care,
Good bye.


Do what is best for yourself. If you need a break, take one. You are always welcome back here. I won't hold anything you've said to me against you, but I will defend myself.
We are just not at all on the same page about what we want this site to be. I'm not a journalist and I can't see this site ever being a journalistic site aside from some interviews. I'm a great writer, but I just can't devote focus on it because I'm not passionate about writing.
My vision for what this site should be is basically like the Dreamcast version of NesDev, if you're familiar with the site. It's not the most known or glamorous NES site by any means, but if you're into NES development, it is THE community.

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
DCDayDreamer wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
The way I feel and the departed member feel is that this is some twisted fraternity of bullies.

That sentiment has been bandied around for quite some time, it's also quite disturbing to see it mentioned again. Perhaps some of the old hands need to take a fresh look at things and leave some of the 'fraternity' immaturity and humor where it belongs (the null forum for example).


It's been an ongoing problem since the site has been in existence, but those users don't really cause problems anymore or leave the OT/Gaming/null forums. And certainly we haven't had any power abuse in a long time. cube_b3 is dragging up a lot of ancient history here.

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 am
Posts: 567
I'll have to intervene here as a third party and as a moderator since this thread is about to go to shit.

@darc, you don't need to justify what you're doing. Just keeping the website going is more than people, including cube, can ask of you. Thank you. If there's any web help you need just ask.

@Ph3nom, Falco and Patryk, I think it's very obvious to everybody what happened, so please don't worry that people might get the wrong idea.

@cube, thank you for your contributions to the scene.
I've read a lot of your posts by now and I'm afraid you don't realize how others will perceive what you write.
I'll have to ask you to reconsider how you express yourself and address others in public, especially regarding various allegations you've uttered in the past and now again in this thread.
This is not the way to do it, and this is not the proper thread.

I'm also sad to see that your past contributions, which are appreciated, seem to have made you quite arrogant and you seem to think it is fine to be toxic towards others here.
I would not allow new posters to behave themselves like that and your long history here will not stop me from applying the same rules to you.
You're officially warned.

_________________
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 am 
Offline
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Posts: 442
@cube_b3 I've just read through again everything you've posted in this thread, you seriously NEED to take a step back and leave this hobby stuff alone for a while, that kind of commitment and obsession can have detrimental effects on your health. I'm sure most, if not all of us have been guilty of spending far too much time on this stuff over the years, sometimes you just need to re-evaluate priorities and recharge your batteries elsewhere. We will all still be around here, and most probably with sporadic visits from everyone, but that doesn't mean the 'scene' has died, priorities change and REAL LIFE HAS TO COME FIRST.

cube_b3 wrote:
You are a professional developer. You've fucking made emulators

@darc This misconception might actually stem from the old emulator DarcDC.

|darc| wrote:
Isn't it great that DCEvolution is back? It's 2017 now, but I tried to convince them to come back 5 years ago and offered to host them. They're on Sourceforge right now but I offered to host them now too.

That's absolutely true, and this subject is exactly why cube_b3 needs to take some time away from this 'hobby'. Back in 2012, both Curt and I had been spending far too much of our time on DCEvo and its network of sites, when everything imploded we were exhausted, Curt wanted to hand everything over to someone else but it was my decision to just turn the lights out and close the door. Curt and I will always put family first, when a hobby encroaches on quality time with those families, it's time to step back from that hobby.

It took me over four years to take an interest in anything Dreamcast related again, it took another six months to consider doing anything with DCEvo again. Curt simply does not have the free time for DCEvo or anything else Dreamcast related, it just happens that I have some free time at the moment to spend on whatever I want, this situation will change in the near future and I'll probably disappear for months (or even years) once again.

|darc| wrote:
Why did Christus stop working on DCS? Maybe I could sit here and guilt-trip you into thinking that was your fault and that he left. He left probably because he had other shit to do with his life, just like so many others, and it's nobody's fault.

@cube_b3 Chris didn't just stop working on DCS, his input at DCEvo got gradually less and less too, it's real life that is the priority after all, Chris quite literally did have "other shit to do with his life". Chris still pops in here now and then, but he doesn't have the time he once had. If he reads this post, I'm absolutely certain he would confirm the fact that both he and I spent countless hours on Dreamcast homebrew, far more time than we really should have.

@cube_b3 Learn from the mistakes made by others, take time out and get your priorities in order.

bogglez wrote:
darc, you don't need to justify what you're doing

Ditto.

_________________
Across the Universe


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 am 
Offline
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:00 pm
Posts: 16051
Location: New Orleans, LA
bogglez wrote:
I'll have to intervene here as a third party and as a moderator since this thread is about to go to shit.

@darc, you don't need to justify what you're doing. Just keeping the website going is more than people, including cube, can ask of you. Thank you. If there's any web help you need just ask.

@Ph3nom, Falco and Patryk, I think it's very obvious to everybody what happened, so please don't worry that people might get the wrong idea.

@cube, thank you for your contributions to the scene.
I've read a lot of your posts by now and I'm afraid you don't realize how others will perceive what you write.
I'll have to ask you to reconsider how you express yourself and address others in public, especially regarding various allegations you've uttered in the past and now again in this thread.
This is not the way to do it, and this is not the proper thread.

I'm also sad to see that your past contributions, which are appreciated, seem to have made you quite arrogant and you seem to think it is fine to be toxic towards others here.
I would not allow new posters to behave themselves like that and your long history here will not stop me from applying the same rules to you.
You're officially warned.



You are quite right. This community has been a major part of my life since I was quite young, so it's easy for me to get worked up about these things sometimes. Thanks for being level-headed.

DCDayDreamer wrote:
bogglez wrote:
darc, you don't need to justify what you're doing


Ditto.


Thanks guys.


@cube_b3: I've changed your badge to the proper one. I don't want enemies, so I hope you don't see me that way. Best of luck to you, whether you stick around or not.

_________________
It's thinking...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2001 4:12 pm
Posts: 3662
I want to suggest opening a new thread for people to post their opinions about this beta/alpha version of the game.

My DC is dusted and needs a lot of cleaning, which is why I haven't tried it yet. In fact, all my consoles have been collecting dust for a couple years.

_________________
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group