HankyAlien

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
ant512
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HankyAlien

Post by ant512 »

Thanks to various folks on the forum, I've finished a Dreamcast version of my Nintendo DS homebrew Space Invaders clone:

It's a fairly close approximation of the original arcade game, but don't try to insert quarters into your Dreamcast.

Features:
  • Aliens to shoot!
  • UFOs to shoot!
  • Enemy fire to avoid (or shoot)!
  • Shields to hide behind (or shoot)!
Download it here: HankyAlienDC
Last edited by ant512 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: HankyAlien

Post by dreamcast-news »

Hello,
i create a cdi but doesn't work on nullDC_Win32_Release-NoTrace.
DL : http://www.sendbox.fr/bfaac2222f5e7879/disc.CDi

Thanks.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

It works fine for me at both nulldc and real hardware. Sounds play correct now and eveything seems to be working perfect. So can it be considered as a final version?
ant512
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ant512 »

Yep, it's done! Thanks for testing!
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Ok, here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pu1WiERrCU
It is too late now and i will try to aget a higher score next time.
I suggest everyone who have a sd card adapter give this game a try, gameplay is very attractive.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcast-news »

Okay thanks ant512 and Basil, i'll news.

Edit : http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.com/2016 ... 31016.html
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

ant512, care to update the first post a bit to make it look more like a newspost (maybe describe things a bit and include a screenshot or two)? I'll go ahead and move this over to the News forum if you do. :wink:

I'm glad to see you got things working after a few early growing pains. Testing things on the Dreamcast can be annoying without the proper hardware to work with. Trust me, I know from my early work -- for my first 6-9 months or so of Dreamcast stuff, I didn't have any sort of BBA or Coder's Cable to work with (and there was no such thing as an SD card adapter yet).
ant512
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ant512 »

BlueCrab wrote:ant512, care to update the first post a bit to make it look more like a newspost (maybe describe things a bit and include a screenshot or two)? I'll go ahead and move this over to the News forum if you do. :wink:
Done!
BlueCrab wrote:I'm glad to see you got things working after a few early growing pains. Testing things on the Dreamcast can be annoying without the proper hardware to work with. Trust me, I know from my early work -- for my first 6-9 months or so of Dreamcast stuff, I didn't have any sort of BBA or Coder's Cable to work with (and there was no such thing as an SD card adapter yet).
I'm surprised there's no third-party BBA yet. I suppose the various GD-ROM replacements and the SD adaptor negate the need for it. The lack of a BBA is what prevented me from trying to write anything for the Dreamcast until now.

But getting the game running on the DC was pretty straightforward. What to make next...?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

ant512 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:ant512, care to update the first post a bit to make it look more like a newspost (maybe describe things a bit and include a screenshot or two)? I'll go ahead and move this over to the News forum if you do. :wink:
Done!
And... Moved to news. :wink:
ant512 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I'm glad to see you got things working after a few early growing pains. Testing things on the Dreamcast can be annoying without the proper hardware to work with. Trust me, I know from my early work -- for my first 6-9 months or so of Dreamcast stuff, I didn't have any sort of BBA or Coder's Cable to work with (and there was no such thing as an SD card adapter yet).
I'm surprised there's no third-party BBA yet. I suppose the various GD-ROM replacements and the SD adaptor negate the need for it. The lack of a BBA is what prevented me from trying to write anything for the Dreamcast until now.
There have been attempts at a BBA replacement, but it's a lot of work for not very much gain, unfortunately. In the small numbers that someone might actually be able to make something like that in, it'd probably be more expensive than buying a BBA as it is now, unfortunately.

There have been a few working homebrew clones of the LAN adapter though. That's plenty good enough to do network-based debugging over dcload-ip. That said, they do require some really old ISA network cards to work, which are probably not all that easily found anymore...
ant512 wrote:But getting the game running on the DC was pretty straightforward. What to make next...?
I'm glad you found it relatively straightforward to get things up and running. I've been trying to simplify things with porting stuff to KOS and thus providing a lot of nice functionality that one might expect out of a more full-fledged OS. Plus, with PH3NOM's great work on our libgl, we have a much more easily accessible graphics stack than we've ever had before.