Pier Solar has a release date

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Pier Solar has a release date

Post by cube_b3 »

Hi everyone.

We're proud to announce that Pier Solar will be released on September 30th, 2014 for PS4, PS3, STEAM, and OUYA. Development is completed for all remaining platforms. The release dates for Xbox One, Wii U and SEGA Dreamcast will be announced next month, pending certification (Wii U & Xbox One).

Starting on the 30th we'll contact the backers of the above mentioned platforms and provide the download codes. As soon as the Wii U and Xbox One versions get certified we'll contact the backers with those versions to provide the codes. Also, physical versions will take a bit longer due the extra tests necessary on the discs since they can't be patched.

Best regards!
-WM
So the Dreamcast version is available in 3 packaging styles one for each region.
Those who pre-ordered have been asked to select their packaging however a preview is not being provided "at this time" however we've been told that they will "seamlessly work with each region. What was not clarified which American packaging style they will seamlessly adhere to the white one or the black one?

Additionally DCS conducted their own packaging survey to facilitate Water Melon's survey, however it only took into account packaging styles that indie games come in instead of official packaging. The results favored the original indie skin introduced by GSP in 2003 with Feet of Fury.
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/news/new ... packaging/

Which packaging will you order?
Last edited by cube_b3 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Pier Solar has a release date

Post by cube_b3 »

I am personally pretty disappointed that I can't get it in the original GSP packaging.

I guess I am more disappointed in the 102 (over 60%) of voters who did not request WaterMelon to provide an indie packaging option maybe they thought the poll would have been enough, I don't know.

I am thinking I will end up going with the PAL one just for the novelty of buying a newly pressed PAL packaging, but without a packaging preview it seems risky.
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

cube_b3 wrote:DCS conducted their own packaging survey to facilitate Water Melon's survey, however it only took into account packaging styles that indie games come in instead of official packaging. The results favored the original indie skin introduced by GSP in 2003 with Feet of Fury.
That poll is VERY misleading. There is no way in hell that people prefer the GOAT CDs over the redspotgames CDs or ngdevteam DVDs. I mean I have them here right in front of me, the difference really is like night and day.

I think most voters did not understand what was asked.

cube_b3 wrote:I am personally pretty disappointed that I can't get it in the original GSP packaging.
GSP is basically mimicking the NTSC-U template so if you were to pick US you'd end up with something pretty close to what you're asking.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

1) There is a fairly in depth article explaining each option in great detail with pictures.

2) The poll has been active for over six months and you are critiquing it now? Seriously now? Voting slowed down months ago.
The only reason it is still up is cause I don't have a new idea for a poll.
For your information I had this article proof read by AdamKoralik who provided the pictures of all the games. Additionally I dug through DC Emu archives for quotes from Dan. Lastly I mailed it in to Water Melon months ago and heard no complaints about the wording.

3) You think the GSP style is basically the Ntsc-U style? My article clearly states it is inspired by the white Japanese and black American style casing. The spines are the most prominent part of any packaging and the GSP spine does not "seamlessly adhere" to any region.

Edit: Since I posted this article 2 more unique IPs have voted for GSP.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

The article is excellent. I meant the poll itself. Most probably never read the article.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I don't know what to say man.

Prominently 4 publishers have entered the scene.

1 GSP
2 RSG
3 NGDT
4 Hucast

All 4 are listed as options, furthermore I asked commentators who wanted another style to simply vote for Random Hucast.

It is not possible for people to confuse GSP packaging with Faux RSG packaging.

Further more it is impossible to confuse jewel cases with DVD cases.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

I voted for the GSP style, because I really like the orange-on-black color scheme, and also because it looks like their games belong to a "fourth" region - which is sort of true, since they're region free.

But I've noticed that their style isn't fully consistent, and it also looks like there have been running changes in their graphic layout over time.

In this photo, the overall graphic layout is consistent, but the spacing between the letters in both releases of Irides: Master of Blocks is larger, and the font used for the Maqiupai one isn't as bold as all the others.
Also, the alignment of the games' titles seems to be random.

In the second photo, there are differences all over. Developers's logos are used in place of the GOAT Store Publishing logo, and the "For Dreamcast" note on the side varies in lenght, font size and background color.

On a side note, I'd like to understand why only Feet of Fury has a trademark symbol. The "TM" symbol would probably apply to all others as well, since it's for non-registered trademarks. But I don't know exactly what are the rules for using that symbol.

The RedSpotGames layout also has a few of those inconsistencies.

The NGDT/Hucast style seems to the the most consistent one - they've changed the contents, but the layout is mostly consistent.

So, my preference is for the GSP style, because I like the idea - but its execution needs some improvement.
Solid standards would also bring an opportunity to sell revised covers to previous buyers.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Great... Do contact WM and let them know that we exist. I feel like I am the only one fighting for the indie skin even though I have over a hundred IPs that agree with me.

Yes, the second photo was from AdamKoralik's collection and he has the original print run of each games. In 2005, there was a printing error which made the For Dreamcast TM font much larger and since then GSP has stuck with it for all subsequent releases and reprints. Although they do encounter printing problems from time to time. I have been fighting with Dan to produce For Dreamcast TM stickers so this problem can be rectified once and for all.

As for the developer logo, one side has GSP logo the other side has the developer logo.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

cube_b3 wrote:As for the developer logo, one side has GSP logo the other side has the developer logo.
:o I didn't expect that. Quite interesting.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube