Service Games - New KickStarter

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Service Games - New KickStarter

Post by cube_b3 »

We first reported about Sega history book a couple of months back, by the time we got around to reporting it the hardcover version of the book had already sold out.

Fortunately, our good friend and co-author David Munoz has decided to take this project to the next level. He is currently trying to secure funding for an audio book and has started another Kickstarter campaign giving everyone who missed their window last time to get another chance in ordering the definitive version of the book in hardcover.

Munoz is seeking to raise $6,000, and as of the time of this writing has raised more than $2,700 with 30 days still left to go.

In addition to the book, he has other cool things that you can pledge for such as this awesome T-Shirt. I am sure Service Game fans have many shirts of their favorite system, but who can say they have a shirt with all the consoles on it as well as an Arcade Machine?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... -hardcover

Also note: The project has some fantastic stretch goals such as free dust jacket and book marks. Just imagine how cool you would look if you had a Sega Arcade Unit as a book mark. Every boy in class would be envious of you and every girl would want to be with you!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Service Games - New KickStarter

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Honestly, this doesn't really strike me as the sort of thing that would make a very compelling audiobook. It might make a good documentary, if you can get some good interviews on tape... but an audiobook version seems like it would be akin to an art history lecture.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I do like the shirt, though I'd prefer it without the text.

And I'm still waiting for a reprint of that Dreamcast "prestige" shirt ;)
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

But then how would we promote the book?

Well we have the upcoming Sega Movie, or atleast I hope it is a Sega movie.

I am not really interested in the corporate story, I am interested in the characters and that is something our book does justice too.

David hasn't really started working on the audio book. Right now we are trying to promote the book and we are using the 2nd kickstarter to do so. I was recently able to broker a deal with GSP, who will be publishing their own version of the book (just cosmetic differences). I don't now if we will approach people to record their quotes, that would be weird.

We could go in a different direction and do something else on Audio, but then that won't promote the book. I will have to have a discussion with David and then we'll see.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Edit: I am not a fan.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Chris dial it down man, we looked at your post on Sega-16 and worked to the best of our ability to address the criticism even though most was targeted at Sega of America rather than the book. We are not defending anyone or giving a biased picture.

SEGABASE worked with the resources we had at the time, for the Kickstarter we revised the text and many backers like myself had the option of joining the team. Kevin Williams is our UK based contributor who worked on the British side of things. Ivan is from Portugal who boarded the project to provide greater insights from the European region.

You could have joined the project and made it better, but you are just concerned with hating.
What is going on man, I know you better than that! You are not a hater, why you acting this way?
Christuserloeser

The problems in a nutshell:

- the apalling glorification of Tom Kalinske, the man responsible for the abysmal marketing behind Sega CD, 32X, Nomad, Saturn, but also responsible for wasting billions of Dollars on Activator, "Sega VR", Full Motion Video (Digital Pictures / Sony) and the Sega Multi-Media Studios (which cost hundreds of millions of Dollars but made only one game, Jurassic Park CD), when it was Michael Katz who was responsible for marketing the Genesis in the US right up until the release of Sonic the Hedgehog (Kalinske took over in Spring '91). And it was Sega of Japan who made the Genesis and 99,99% of its best games. Without Katz nor Sonic the Hedgehog and of course without Sega of Japan's hard- and software talents Genesis would not have been what it was. Kalinske just happened to be at the right time at the right place.

- blaming Sega of Japan for the failure of Saturn in the West. *cough* Kalinske *cough*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, we read your criticism already.

David worked harder on delving deeper in other territories, that said we have found evidence via a few interviews where he said SOJ made him launch it early. I think he even reiterated that in his interview with Sega-16.

David was unable to interview him for the book, but his quotes are taken from reliable secondary sources. He also got some primary sources such as an interview with Water Melon among other indie developers. The book has also gotten GoatDan's stamp of approval, he will actually be publishing an MGC Limited edition of the book.

So go ahead and buy the T-Shirt, you will get a free e-book. You can compare the enhanced edition with SegaBase:).
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I do like the shirt, though I'd prefer it without the text.

And I'm still waiting for a reprint of that Dreamcast "prestige" shirt ;)
Hey Fiddler, if you are still interested in the shirt PM me.

We have removed the "Rise and Fall of SEGA" from the shirt. It still says SERVICE GAMES though.

Also the notice on the arcade that read Enhanced Edition has been altered to a sketch of a blue hedgehog.
Christuserloeser

cube_b3 wrote:David worked harder on delving deeper in other territories, that said we have found evidence via a few interviews where he said SOJ made him launch it early.
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.off ... Id=3142283
Kalinske remembers it as a situation where Sega was basically backed into a corner: " We all knew PlayStation was coming so we wanted to pre-empt them. Japan basically ordered us to be on shelf in the Fall, [so] I thought up the surprise launch [in May] as a way of generating excitement and PR. However, the downside was not enough software was ready, which was a significant problem, and the surprise benefited some retailers but annoyed others who were either not included or didn't receive a large enough initial allocation of hardware.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

We had Kalinske appear on the Sega Nerdcast and we directly asked about the Saturn launch and he confirmed that he was following Sega of Japans orders. He even went on to take responsibility for the 32X stating that he did not believe in the Saturn but he did believe in 32X.

Search for the Sega Nerdcast Tom Kalinske on YouTube.
Christuserloeser

Explain to me why he would take the blame for the launch in above interview - only to deny it later ? Why wouldn't he just speak the truth??? - The one reason he denies it now was that he noticed how much of the perception of his persona depended on this fact.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Did you even look up the interview?

Did you hear the long term ramifications the launch of the Saturn had on him?

Even the 1UP link states he had been stripped of all power in the image caption. If he has no power who launched the console?

Anyway the Kickstarter is even done and over with.
This was a community project, you could have been involved. Let it go and move on.