Kick Starter: Rise & Fall of SEGA

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Kick Starter: Rise & Fall of SEGA

Post by cube_b3 »

Updated 19th November:

In my youth, I spent countless hours in front of the television, playing Sonic on my Sega Mega Drive. Back then it was probably the best thing in the world. I lived in a very myopic world. School was a place to talk about games; home was for playing games, and sleep... You guessed it sad, but true.

My life changed in high school, after I decided to write my extended essay on the rise and fall of Sega. I was already hooked to all the mediums through which one could learn about the latest games; I watched Tech Tv (G4), read EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly), and surfed Videogames.com (Gamespot). Writing that essay should have been a walk in the park I thought; the only problem was that I never really went for a walk in the park. I realized I was screwed after my first meeting with my essay supervisor, “What makes your essay worth reading? What subject can it even fall under; business, history, sociology or what?” He asked baffled by my choice of topic.

To most gamers, Sega is a distant memory of an edgy black console with a flashing red light with the most awesome game called Sonic the Hedgehog. But then came the Playstation, with Crash Bandicoot and it was even more awesome. Today the industry is all about gunning your friends down in Modern Warfare. Sure, Sega is still around and every now and then makes blips on the industry radar but nothing worth losing any sleep.

Personally, Sega was just a fun part of my life that wasn’t relevant to the world anymore and I wanted to explore that phenomenon... and when I did, it opened my eyes to the world outside videogames. It painted a human face to a blue logo starting with a story of an American Air Force officer who retires to settle in Japan. It taught me more about business marketing and management than any text books in my course. After all, the best place to play the dance of recruitment is on the sandy shores of Hawaii. Most of all it showed me that it is our ego that can make and (/ or) break us.

While several websites, magazines, and TV shows have covered the subject, few have gone to the length of SegaBase (Hosted at Eidolons Inn). Now that the author, Sam Pettus, along with David Munoz and the gang from the tavern (Eidolons Inn Community) are banding together to revamp, enhance, and extend it with more stats, quotes, pictures, facts and more on SegaBase, so that it can be published as a book!

Now I don’t know how to say it without making it sound like an advertisement, but this project requires a lot of time, effort and money. They have started a kickstarter campaign with an estimated budget of
$ 6,500. Unfortunately, the kickstarter ends in 48 hours and they have a long way to go.

Help make this book a reality, and be a part of preserving Sega’s history.

Originally posted on DCS http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/news/kic ... tory-book/

Sam Pettus’ from Eidolons-Inn is the man responsible for the most in-depth documentation of Sega’s legacy. Through Kick Starter a revamped, enhanced and extended history book is planned – funding required is 6,500 US$ – funds collected are almost 4,000$.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/153 ... 1481237582

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index. ... e=segabase
Last edited by cube_b3 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Kick Starter: Rise & Fall of SEGA

Post by cube_b3 »

The screen grab is old, there are like 5 days left.

So back this shit up.

Sam Pettus's write up on Sega, is the best write up on the internet.

I also confirmed from David Munoz that it will not go very far beyond the Dreamcast, but the ending will be longer than the one available online.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Updated with a very personal appeal, but it is unlikely the Kickstarter will receive funding.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

I'm not much of a kickstarter person. I'd love to see this succeed. I put some money into the Pier solar as my first kickstarter thing ever. But I feel that has a higher chance of success than this book. If the book does make it i'll be sure to order it if its not only limited copies. I always love me a hardcover coffeetable book.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The main problem with a project like this is that the people who have donated to the Kickstarter probably represent the majority (or at least a significant chunk) of the people who'd buy the book in general. It's a very niche sort of topic, and most of the people who might be interested probably already know a lot of what it has to say.

That said, a Kickstarter project like this still does seem more feasible than some of the other pie-in-the-sky projects out there.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Surprise, surprise. They made it.

Now I wait for an economical hardback color print.

Because 215$ for a color print is madness.
Dcemubrew
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dcemubrew »

cube_b3 wrote:Updated 19th November:

In my youth, I spent countless hours in front of the television, playing Sonic on my Sega Mega Drive. Back then it was probably the best thing in the world. I lived in a very myopic world. School was a place to talk about games; home was for playing games, and sleep... You guessed it sad, but true.
I don't like the way he says this, unless he actually regrets it.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well I do wish I was a little less obsessed wth games back then.