Hypertension team looking for contributors

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Hypertension team looking for contributors

Post by Christuserloeser »

via http://www.tdgmods.blogspot.com/

Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something.

Like every big project that has taken a few years to make, every once in awhile the few who are active on it start to burn out. Not enough to leave or give up the work, but just enough to make even grandfather time a little anxious.

This is now the case with Hypertension. While we have enjoyed working for the fans, it's now becoming strained. Our development team has shrunk the past year, and it puts us back down to two active people, and a handful of semi-active individuals.

Normally this wouldn't bother us, but the protracted development time is definitely wearing us out, and missing deadlines isn't fun.

What we need is some fresh air, some fresh talent - we need you!

What we are asking for is simple - level designers.

We need someone who has a passion for the arts of game design, someone who's creative and not afraid to get down and dirty. Somebody who can take the time and produce something from the heart. We need designers like this to help with the final stretch, to get this half of the game completed and out the door. Without somebody like You, we won't be able to finish or dedicate the time we want to polish and deliver a fun and memorable game.

So, if you know you can compliment our vision and take criticism at a mature level, we ask for your talents. Here's the requirements:

• 1) Must have level-design experience, either with Doom, Build, or Quake. If you have no experience, be prepared to take some learning time. Preferably, you must have a map to show us. Since this is a learning step, we will teach you how to script and build truly amazing levels - but you must have the desire to do so.
  • 2) Must be able to take criticism at a mature level. You will be working closely with us to help with this mammoth megawad. You must also be able to take criticism from the fans of this project.
  • 3) Open minded and dedicated is what we're looking for here. More than just contributing levels, we need someone to compliment the worlds we create. It takes hard work and determination.

If you feel you have what it takes, don't be afraid to let us know. We are in the final stretch, but we can't continue this without some help. Spread the word long and far.

Gameplay footage:
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Hypertension team looking for contributors

Post by cube_b3 »

So are they planning on making it commercial or not?

I know you've listed them in the upcoming commercial games thread, but won't they have money allotment problems if they take help from outsiders?
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

It will be freeware no matter what they stated, but they wanted to do a limited edition print run of the game if time and money allowed.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I read up a bit on the project and it seems very confusing.

They want to release the game on 32x, 32xCD, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux. I personally find this ridiculous, no wonder they are burning out.

Then their are only 2 developers, looking to complete the project with a bunch of volunteers.

And to top it all off, they are making some kind of a sequel to Monolith studio's "Blood", this simply can not be a commercial game in any way.

Edit: Apparently a Nintendo DS version is under consideration as well.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

They want to release the game on 32x, 32xCD, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux. I personally find this ridiculous, no wonder they are burning out.
good god. I remember reading they were doing DC and thinking about 32X. fucking yikes. I'd buy a limited print run though.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Well, the 32X version is only a mod of Doom, they just changed the sprites and levels. The PC/Mac version comes out first, then Dreamcast, then the other consoles, they are almost done with it, and have worked on it since 2008, they only need a mapper wich they got a friend of mine Teamxlink that is trying out for their mapper position.

You can see the thread here.
http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/index.php?to ... icseen#new
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I'm not any good at level design itself, but there are plenty of user-friendly level editors out there for people who are willing to give it a try.
Anthony817 wrote:Well, the 32X version is only a mod of Doom, they just changed the sprites and levels ...
Apparently, there's a matter of contention as to whether it's anything more than a Doom total conversion (TC). I'd say the modified edge engine running on the DC like that qualifies it as being more.
ImageImageImageImage
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Oh I agree, but I was refering to the 32x port, the actually Hypertension for PC and Dreamcast is DEFINATLY much more, it is a full game using the EDGE engine. 8-)

What the one on 32x is, is Doom32x with new sprites and levels in the image of Blood, Corbin himself told me that on his forum.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Stryfe wrote:Apparently, there's a matter of contention as to whether it's anything more than a Doom total conversion (TC). I'd say the modified edge engine running on the DC like that qualifies it as being more.
It's a matter of opinion, really. In our community, people have different ideals as to what amounts to this. TC was the old way of describing a game like this - you could use either to describe it.

It's using newly written game code on a different engine. Nothing from Doom remains, you don't need it to start Hyper. To me, it's enough to warrant removing the TC tag.
cube_b3 wrote:They want to release the game on 32x, 32xCD, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux. I personally find this ridiculous, no wonder they are burning out.
The DC, Win32, OSX and *nix versions are already done for the most part. The 32X version is a romhack. 32xCD and N64 are being ported by someone else. DS was only an experiment, it was used with a semi-modern port of the engine - I forgot to remove it from the port list though. I think we even had a screenshot of that version in action, but it wouldn't have done it justice to port it to a different doom engine.

The game itself is very together, it's like running the last few laps in a marathon at this point.
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Yeah, you guys are almost done, and it is amazing how far you have come. Thanks for clearing the 32x stuff up. I had no idea you came to these forums though, nice to see you on other Dreamcast networks. :grin: