DCEmulation

dreamcast development • homebrew software • hardware hacking • indie games • emulators • and more!
Back to main site
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 am 
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

The Kickstarter was about an RPG game, not an RPG Maker.
You build a really nice tool that only you can use for now, but you miss the game that people are waiting for, a nice game engine without content is useless.
People didn't pay you for a tool, they paid for a game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm 
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Orion_ wrote:
You build a really nice tool that only you can use for now, but you miss the game that people are waiting for, a nice game engine without content is useless.

Well, to be fair, I did.

I have no idea of Falco's (or his team's) talents when it comes to writing a plot or making artwork, but the engine looked very nice, and the idea that it would be open for anyone to develop their own game made me plunk down the $500. Had it not been for that I'd likely have just gotten a deluxe copy of the game or something.

That being said, the game itself absolutely should be completed. But it's not the part I'm most looking forward to. When the engine is released, we have the potential for tons of people to make new DC titles based on this tech. And given how many projects have been created around hacking the Quake engine, or Beats of Rage mods, I think that'll be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm 
Elysian Shadows Developer

Orion_ wrote:
Actually, a very large amount paid for the tool and not the game. Once again, you are making an assumption without actually knowing the facts.

Darc is by no means a very insignificant minority in why he backed us. A pretty significant number of backers don't actually care about ES itself, which is something I also have to respect.

Orion_ wrote:
a nice game engine without content is useless.
Orly? Almost like... that's what a game engine is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:21 am 
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

GyroVorbis wrote:
Actually, a very large amount paid for the tool and not the game. Once again, you are making an assumption without actually knowing the facts.

Well, I'm just looking at your Kickstarter page, how many people paid for the creation rewards ? about 1% of the total

|darc| wrote:
Orion_ wrote:

Well, to be fair, I did.
I have no idea of Falco's (or his team's) talents when it comes to writing a plot or making artwork, but the engine looked very nice, and the idea that it would be open for anyone to develop their own game made me plunk down the $500. Had it not been for that I'd likely have just gotten a deluxe copy of the game or something.

4 people did, out of ... 2282

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 pm 
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Orion_ wrote:
Well, I'm just looking at your Kickstarter page, how many people paid for the creation rewards ? about 1% of the total

What does that have to do with your point re: funding it for the game or funding it for the toolkit?

The release of the toolkit doesn't have anything to do with the upper tier rewards...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

GyroVorbis wrote:
I have been working my ass off all day every day lately preparing for a big KS update

"Big" doesn't necessarily mean "relevant".

GyroVorbis wrote:
We have a new guy doing PR to help out with the Kickstarter, and I changed the credentials from my own personal password to something for him, and now I can't remember, so I am locked out of KS

No comment.

GyroVorbis wrote:
any impulsive emotional response I make out of people pissing on my work (which is a sign of low prefrontal cortex control over the amygdala, which is a tell-tale symptom of ADHD).

I see.

GyroVorbis wrote:
This shit is the reason I'm on antidepressants

They don't seem to be working.

Also, I agree with what |darc| said here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:53 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

|darc| wrote:
the engine looked very nice, and the idea that it would be open for anyone to develop their own game made me plunk down the $500. [...] When the engine is released, we have the potential for tons of people to make new DC titles based on this tech.

That's also why I backed it, but nowadays I wouldn't use ESTK anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 pm 

Orion_ wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

|darc| wrote:
Orion_ wrote:

Well, to be fair, I did.

Yeaaaaaah... uh... like darc said, what does that have to do with anything? You do know that anyone who paid $15 for the base game also gets ESTk, right? :lol:

mankrip wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
I have been working my ass off all day every day lately preparing for a big KS update

...Are you seriously like... complaining about the quality of a KS update I haven't even made yet? :roll:

Yeah uh, I see you're unhappy guys, but at this point, this is pretty much becoming ridiculous. You are looking for things to complain about that aren't even real... Let's be honest here. Why am I getting 10000x more shit lately now that there is more content and more progress being made than the rest of the year put together? Are you really pissed off about the game, or is something else going on here?

If you just hate me, that's cool, but if it's something more, help my socially retarded ass understand, please. The only thing I can think of is that you're mad that updates and content were coming out on social media before they came to KS, which in retrospect makes quite a bit of sense to me, as you guys are the ones who paid to make this happen... Would me doing something like giving you guys personal video updates every so often and let you see things before everyone else and before the rest of the content goes public help to fix that? Assuming that's even the real issue here... I can totally understand that, but nobody has articulated that at all so far... or hey, maybe you can rightfully argue it isn't your job to do that? Fine. Is this the real problem?

If I'm not starting to get real feedback here anymore, then when I don't respond to this in a timely manner, you can't all freak out and pretend that I'm running off like some kind of a pussy... I literally have Qt Creator open right now, working on code, but I know I have to come respond here or people are going to freak out. This is eating into development time. I have no problem coming back and being your personal punching bag after more content is posted, but after the initial stream of things to bitch about has been exhausted and it deteriorates to personal insults and making up issues, it's no longer in either of our best interest that I linger around here.

mankrip wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
This shit is the reason I'm on antidepressants
They don't seem to be working.
Yeaaaaah, I wake up every day stoked as fuck to work on ES despite all of the toxicity and negativity I get from you guys... we're going to have to agree to disagree here. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

GyroVorbis wrote:
mankrip wrote:
...Are you seriously like... complaining about the quality of a KS update I haven't even made yet? :roll:

Yeah uh, I see you're unhappy guys, but at this point, this is pretty much becoming ridiculous. You are looking for things to complain about that aren't even real... Let's be honest here. Why am I getting 10000x more shit lately now that there is more content and more progress being made than the rest of the year put together? Are you really pissed off about the game, or is something else going on here?

If you just hate me, that's cool, but if it's something more, help my socially retarded ass understand, please. The only thing I can think of is that you're mad that updates and content were coming out on social media before they came to KS, which in retrospect makes quite a bit of sense to me, as you guys are the ones who paid to make this happen... Would me doing something like giving you guys personal video updates every so often and let you see things before everyone else and before the rest of the content goes public help to fix that? Assuming that's even the real issue here... I can totally understand that, but nobody has articulated that at all so far... or hey, maybe you can rightfully argue it isn't your job to do that? Fine. Is this the real problem?

If I'm not starting to get real feedback here anymore, then when I don't respond to this in a timely manner, you can't all freak out and pretend that I'm running off like some kind of a pussy... I literally have Qt Creator open right now, working on code, but I know I have to come respond here or people are going to freak out. This is eating into development time. I have no problem coming back and being your personal punching bag after more content is posted, but after the initial stream of things to bitch about has been exhausted and it deteriorates to personal insults and making up issues, it's no longer in either of our best interest that I linger around here.

A huge four-paragraph reply to a 5-word statement.

Being assertive is not incompatible with being concise.

I'm reading everything out of respect, but I'm not going to feed walls of text.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 pm 

Uh, dude, I responded to your 5-word statement with a single sentence. That following paragraphs were not a response to that sentence...

Are you seriously just going to ignore the part where I'm trying to ask you what you want me to do to make you happy as a backer? Because that's the entire next paragraph... I was respectfully asking for an honest opinion. I don't have the will to fight with you guys anymore. Project is going well, team is in high spirits, I'm happy with the progress we're making for the first time in forever, and I would just like to get past this, so we can make a badass game together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

If you guys want to get on Skype, Discord, or anything with file transfers, I have some screen recordings of some new gameplay and menu stuff if you want to see it, but it's still WIP, so I wasn't wanting to just release it to the general public or pop it on YouTube yet.