DCEmulation

dreamcast development • homebrew software • hardware hacking • indie games • emulators • and more!
Back to main site
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:39 pm 
Elysian Shadows Developer

WHOOOOOOOO!!!!! WE DUN GOOD, GUYS!!!!

Ayla wrote:
I was getting worried some days ago as it was going really slow. But it looks like it's going to make it very soon :)
Honestly, so were we. It started slowing down hardcore, and I literally couldn't sleep at night, because I was living through the agony of a failed Kickstarter...

This has seriously been a dream of ours years in the making. Not sure who all new, but two of us quit our jobs, withdrew our 401k, and literally put our entire financial stability on the line just for this project. There was no plan B. Foolish? Sure. But we are passionate, and it totally paid off for us.

Really, I want to personally thank all of you. Somehow of $150k, the vast majority of the purchases still came from the Sega freaking Dreamcast, in 2014... Our project is well-known in the YouTube gaming community, which is predominantly PC, so I never in a million years would have anticipated such a gigantic push from this scene... Maybe the forums aren't as active as they used to be, but the Dreamcast is absolutely still thinking, and I seriously feel like this scene is starting to pick up quite a bit of momentum with the latest round of projects. We're introducing gamers and press to the Dreamcast scene for the very first time, and it's something exciting to be a part of.

We really hope that us releasing ESTk to the community will also encourage other developers to take a look at the Dreamcast as a development platform.

Anyway, thank you all so much. It's still totally surreal to us right now. We have a bajillion Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Steam, and KS comments we're trying to respond to, and hopefully we will wind up getting some big press coverage when gaming journalists return to work on Monday... We can no longer respond to everyone's messages and posts individually, because there are just too many of you... But I will always try to remain here on these boards, because this is literally where my entire career and Elysian Shadows began. All because BlackAura took the time to answer the questions of an aspiring 14 year-old game developer a decade ago... STAY GOLDEN, DCEMULATION! :D

edit: Also, we totally made it on the local news for our Kickstarter. The news anchor almost shit himself when he heard we were targeting the Dreamcast. LOL!
http://whnt.com/2014/08/20/two-madison-county-engineers-leave-jobs-to-make-video-game-close-to-funding-their-dream/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am 
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Glad to see this did so well. I got the Amazon Payments email (indicating that my pledge had been deducted) as I was packing up to leave PAX.

I am curious about a couple of things, though:

1. I know there have been some donations outside what Kickstarter counts--namely, PayPal and Bitcoin. Were these enough to hit the second stretch goal?

2. The release of the toolkit seems to have generated almost as much buzz (in certain circles, at least) as the game itself. Any word on what the licensing for this will look like? Will other developers be free to use it for games they intend to market, or is it free for noncommercial use only?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:38 pm 

1. Not just yet. I think outside of Kickstarter, we've acquired something like $5k, but as time goes on, and especially as we attend conventions promoting ES, it looks like this number should steadily rise.

2. It's going to be free for noncommercial use, then we are going to have to ask for a very modest percentage for commercial use. Not because we're evil, but because this is an insanely complex piece of software that will undoubtedly need bugfixes, new features, and maintenance that we will have to do for you guys.

Thanks so much for backing us, dude!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

The last update about Elysian Shadows development seems to be this Facebook post from February. After that, I couldn't find any posts with news about the progress of Elysian Shadows itself.

At the end of August, the artist got a job in a VR company. His last post about Elysian Shadows was in June 12.

The feeling I've got is that this project was a sad ride. Such rides can really drain the motivation of a developer, to the point where the only way to get motivated is to get out of the ride and forget about it; I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm speaking from experience - because that happened to me 11 years ago.

What puzzles me is that I never got to know how far this game (not the tech) actually got. Things such as the percentage of enemies, items, quests, cities, dungeons and NPCs - the things that makes the game actually playable, even if unpolished. I remember watching hours of videos about the tech of the game, with only a few disconnected gameplay elements that doesn't constitute an actual gameplay experience. I've saw the team experimenting, but not experiencing. Is there any single area in the game that's completely playable, even if it's just a city with NPCs and items? Would be nice to see a video of it being played without discussing the tech.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 pm 

I know, I know, I'm in no position whatsoever to give reassurance or anything, but you're making a lot of assumptions in your previous post that I just want to clarify.

mankrip wrote:
At the end of August, the artist got a job in a VR company. His last post about Elysian Shadows was in June 12.
Yep, and I'm happy for him. We were all living full-time on ES kickstarter money, and when that started running low, Patrick's life has been an endless shitshow of having to take odd jobs here and there and being so anxious about his expenses that he couldn't really dedicate much time to ES. There's nothing to hide. We do not have the money to do ES full-time anymore, and we have had to move on to other permanent/temporary employment to secure the financial stability and means to complete ES.

This is actually much better for the project. He isn't freaking out about paying rent every month. Not to mention, we have been in talks about licensing our engine to them for their own products which would help secure additional funding for ES itself.

madkip wrote:
The feeling I've got is that this project was a sad ride. Such rides can really drain the motivation of a developer, to the point where the only way to get motivated is to get out of the ride and forget about it; I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm speaking from experience - because that happened to me 11 years ago.
Eh, not really. Parts of it were some of the roughest times of my life, but parts were also the single proudest moments of my life... which is why I'm still here. If I'm being completely honest, the roughest times have been more about our public image, disappointing people, and feeling drowned with work while also being expected to continually post updates and such. Obviously that's like... part of the job too, and it's none of your fault, I'm just saying.

The actual game development? No. It hasn't been sad. It's been epic.

The truth is that a few things have happened here:

1) we've had to secure financial stability outside of ES
2) we've had to forgive ourselves for being late and stop drowning in anxiety and disappointment long enough to take pleasure in working on ES again.
3) I've had to take a few months off to focus on my life and health after giving up a substance abuse issue I picked up to cope during the Kickstarter. Turns out quitting opiates fucks your immune system up. Had pneumonia 3 times in a row, was in the hospital. Had to fight to regain my energy, my stamina, and wait for the anxiety to die down. Had to find pleasure again in the things in life that I used to love.
4) We've had REALLY REALLY REALLY shitty luck with level designers. Even at this stage, EVERYTHING in the game is so far ahead of level design, that it's a serious problem. ES has been plagued with this issue since the start. If you want to get really technical, here's the deal. We've all discussed it as a team and have reached the same conclusion. Creating standard 2D maps with our custom tools is a joke. It's a breeze. It's been optimized and streamlined to all hell. Any half-way competent RPG-maker user could shit out a quality 2D map in no time... but ES is not 2D, and this is where the level designers seem to piss themselves and never wind up getting far. Our worlds are built in full 3D, with each tile having an elevation in 3D space as well as each tile being able to face a different plane. It's honestly more like voxel-based, where you're laying one of the faces of a cube with each tile.

This is part of the fundamental vision of ES. It's not really a 2D game. It's a 3D game. This is required for platforming, dynamic lighting, and so many other things we want to do, but because we're doing something very new, nobody seems to have the skillset to do it, and nobody seems to have the patience to master the new skill.

So many fingers get pointed towards us making our own tools and engine instead of just the game. You know what? I looked at Unity 2D the other day--just trying to see how they approached the problem, and if it was more elegant, user-friendly, or streamlined than what I'm doing... And you know what? Not only is EVERY SINGLE THING they're doing done better in ESTk, but they aren't even addressing 1/10th of the complexity and functionality we have to address. Unity 2D REALLY IS locked to a plane. There is no concept of a third dimension. Hell, you even have to manually specify render order statically for things like a bridge or overpass. It would take an insanely larger amount of time to even attempt any of this in Unity...

Anyway, the bottom line is that we are actually still here. Progress has been slow and shitty, but we've actually been ramping up this last month. It's fine if you don't believe me. Totally fine. I've lost that privilege, and I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 am 
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Hi,
A lot of backers want to be refund, what do you answer them?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

GyroVorbis wrote:
Even at this stage, EVERYTHING in the game is so far ahead of level design, that it's a serious problem.

Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?

GyroVorbis wrote:
Creating standard 2D maps with our custom tools is [...] been optimized and streamlined to all hell. [...] but ES is not 2D, and this is where the level designers seem to piss themselves and never wind up getting far. Our worlds are built in full 3D, with each tile having an elevation in 3D space as well as each tile being able to face a different plane. It's honestly more like voxel-based, where you're laying one of the faces of a cube with each tile.

This is part of the fundamental vision of ES. It's not really a 2D game. It's a 3D game. [...] but because we're doing something very new, nobody seems to have the skillset to do it, and nobody seems to have the patience to master the new skill.

This sounds similar to how Sauerbraten/Tesseract works.

If you put up a video of your level editor in action, it should be easier to find people who understands how to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 am 
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:49 am 
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

The post attacking Falco was deleted? Mods get that or did the original poster remove it?

I sent a PM to the kickstarter team about wishing to see something before years end. I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 pm 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

GyroVorbis wrote:
madkip wrote:
Eh, not really. Parts of it were some of the roughest times of my life, but parts were also the single proudest moments of my life... which is why I'm still here.

Only now I noticed that you changed my name to "madkip" in that quote.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:13 pm 
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Nico0020 wrote:
The post attacking Falco was deleted? Mods get that or did the original poster remove it?
I removed it. There's just no reason for that kind of post...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:59 am 
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Quote:
mankrip wrote:
Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?

Nico0020 wrote:
Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?

Nico0020 wrote:
I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?

Silence is the answer.