is there a way to resize chars in BOR/OBOR?

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
dabadking
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

is there a way to resize chars in BOR/OBOR?

Post by dabadking »

I wanted to take a few characters and make them into BOR chars but they are way too big (they are from Real bout fatal fury series).
Problem is....when I MANUALLY resize them..they look horrible, AND it takes forever on each frame, because when I resize them they have the semi transparent edges that show up as the color that is supposed to be clear...
I'd much rather use the original size which looks MUCH cleaner, and literally takes only a minute or two to convert for BOR, but they make the normal stock BOR chars look tiny....is there any easy way to resize them to fit into the BOR style? Or would I have to resize every enemy to fit THEIR size?
Ive been messing with modding in various games, but havent really messed with BOR for a bit so... I'm still somewhat new to it, and its limits.. Also is there a way to make the stage itself slightly bigger without having to recode the level itself?....just like a ...size = X.X or something? ....kinda like how you can do that with chars in mugen?
Been looking for a few days for some tutorials on it, but damn near all the sites I had in my faves is gone, or no longer working :cry:

added pics to explain the issue... IDLE is resized to BOR char style, and IDLE1 is normal size...
Christuserloeser

Re: is there a way to resize chars in BOR/OBOR?

Post by Christuserloeser »

I am sure that this is not what you wanted to hear, but here we go anyway: I wouldn't resize anything. There actually are methods that can be used but they'll always look horrible, or odd at least.

If you want to do a mod, then it's not a bad idea to stick to characters from a single game or game series. It will look much more professional and pretty much everyone in the scene is tired of SNK/KOF mods.

The other questions you've posted should be answered here: http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... nBoRManual

For other BoR related questions I would like to direct you to LavaLit, home of OpenBoR: http://www.lavalit.com/
Insane homebrew collector.
dabadking
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Re: is there a way to resize chars in BOR/OBOR?

Post by dabadking »

...yeah.... It DOES look horrible..problem is, I just want to mess around with it for a bit, not change every single char in the original BOR to be his size ; ; ....also while I'm sure everyones bored with SNK chars at this point....Ive yet to see anyone using the chars I plan to use...
while it may be far from good compared to all the other BOR projects, I was just kinda toying with making a game where you play as some boss characters trying to take back south town from the bogards, or something similar...who knows, I'm not much of a story writer lol. The plan would be to make some stages that look close to some of the southtown locations. I figured I'd use some of the more crisp looking sprites of real bout, as I too am sick of the normal chars....KOF sprites get on my nerves after what....10 years of recycled sprites? So I thought some nicer sprites would kinda refresh some of it.

as for the LavaLit forums....yeah.....I signed up 2 days ago but have yet to get a confirmation to it so .... :(
was also planning on adding other chars that havent been used yet since it seems like the whole BOR database consists of about 10 playable characters total (no offense to anyones creations)