donnonotin
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.houzz.com/pro/kuchnie/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Power input socket testing?

Post by donnonotin »

Recently I've got a new client who's notebook stopped charging. It's a typical client request and I run these down from time to time. My process is as follows;a.Wiggle the male connector to see if connection comes and goes, (charge led comes on and off.) if yes re-solder the socket to main board.
if no b.Try another charger you may have laying around, if no other charger is laying around try to charge another laptop with it. if no then re-solder connection for socket.

So this explains how I've come to this conclusion. My own concern is that during this entire process the charger LED indicator will not so much as blink. This unit is a HP g72-259wm, and is a fairly modern notebook.

My question in point is, how do I verify this power socket is faulted for certain while still pre-repair? Is there a definitive way to achieve this before opening the customer's case. Once I open it I know I can simply try forcing a connection to the board.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: Power input socket testing?

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Nope.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Yep.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Do you have a multimeter?

If so, see what the AC Adaptor is outputting. If it checks out to be the correct volt and amp rating, plug it into the motherboard and measure again on the pins of the DC Jack on the underside of the mobo.

If both of those match the output, then the next step is slowly measuring the output from the AC adaptor as it flows through the motherboard, which means following lots of traces, ultimately ending at the connector for the battery.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Wrap a fork in aluminum foil and delicately ram it into the socket. This works better if you're standing in a pool of water. Please post results.