What's the latest DMF project?

Be careful where you tread in here...
Specially Cork
https://www.houzz.com/pro/kuchnie/

Re: What's the latest DMF project?

Post by Specially Cork »

Interesting viewpoint. Personally I buy everything under the impression that there will be something better out in 5 years to replace it. As for landfill, I can't see it from my window so it may as well not exist.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BoneyCork wrote:Personally I buy everything under the impression that there will be something better out in 5 years to replace it.
That isn't always the case, though. Since we're already on the topic of audio reproduction, my 1974 Pioneer SX-838 receiver still sounds better to me than any modern 7.1 channel receiver that I've heard so far (better yet, 70s quad receivers blow 7.1 receivers out of the water). Since it's also made out of solid oak and a lot of steel (from a time when Japan didn't mess around with build quality), it still works without any issue.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:It mainly strikes me as a fad to fleece people out of money, and often (A) doesn't sound much if any better (a lot of lower-end modern tube equipment even underpowers the tubes... and as a matter of audio "purity," transistors are better because they have lower distortion), and (B) is priced far above what any difference from conventional solid-state gear is worth. The big exception, of course, is guitar amplifiers, where solid state gear is very apparent and the "tube sound" is almost universally preferred.
I believe there is much truth to what you say, but also the contrary. In my experience typically tube gear provides a softer fuller tone, whereas solid state provides more power and dynamics. I've compared some expensive tube amps to some expensive solid state amps, and they both sounded great. Cheap tube amps provide high distortion the same way cheap solid state amps provides high distortion. While people who consider themselves true audiophiles will argue with each-other on which is superior, someone such as myself can step back and realize the debate is not on tube versus solid state, rather the debate is "when is your system good enough?". This is always a personal decision and preference. Unfortunately, arguing what is an acceptable price range for an audio system, is like having the same argument about cars. It's easy to get carried away in either route (I've seen people selling $30,000 speaker cable). I'm not one of those crazy hobbyists that would rather sit and listen to their stereo instead of the music playing through the speakers. That said, I do appreciate a high end system that tickles my ears, gives me the clarity and dynamics I want, and is able to rock my face off just when I'm in the mood.

So I try to have the best of both worlds without going overboard on my spending. Which is why I use a homemade amplifier which was built by my uncle (costing $300 in components). It's a very clean solid state amp, and it provides the power, dynamics and clarity I want. Unfortunately it can be a bit harsh sometimes, which is why I purchased the tube buffer to provide a warmer tone and bring out the subtleties in my music. My tube buffer cost me $100, and the vintage Mullard tubes I purchased (which in effect I saved from a landfill) had cost me $25 for the pair. A grand total of $125.00 for the buffer add-on. Not sure if you would considered me fleeced, but I can use it anytime I like, in any application such as CDs, MP3s, Movies, and Music. I'll let you know If I hear a difference, or if I wasted my money once I finish burning in the tubes for 100 hours.
Eviltaco64X wrote:That isn't always the case, though. Since we're already on the topic of audio reproduction, my 1974 Pioneer SX-838 receiver still sounds better to me than any modern 7.1 channel receiver that I've heard so far (better yet, 70s quad receivers blow 7.1 receivers out of the water). Since it's also made out of solid oak and a lot of steel (from a time when Japan didn't mess around with build quality), it still works without any issue.
There are many reasons as to why things today sound the way they do. Some of it has to do with over-saturating the amps with many extra effects processors which only degrade the signal quality (or depending on your preference "enhance" the listening experience). Another significant reason why your Pioneer amp sounds better is because a lot of the materials use to make it were more natural, and a lot of what is used today is post-consumer/industrial recycled. This also significantly affects reliability in many areas. So in today's market, you must spend more to achieve what was less costly before, due to an ever declining supply of 100% natural materials. However, technology has improved as well, and I'll tell you that your Pioneer amp cannot hold a candle to some of the Pioneer Elite amplifiers produced today.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

But we must buy new things, so companies have enough money to make newer things. Where would the gaming industry be now if we all decided to stick with our Ataris because they were built to last hmm?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

BoneyCork wrote:But we must buy new things, so companies have enough money to make newer things. Where would the gaming industry be now if we all decided to stick with our Ataris because they were built to last hmm?
Oh god, wait for it...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

not just souLLy now wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:But we must buy new things, so companies have enough money to make newer things. Where would the gaming industry be now if we all decided to stick with our Ataris because they were built to last hmm?
Oh god, wait for it...
We usually don't have to wait long for Smiley.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

DanteJay wrote:There are many reasons as to why things today sound the way they do. Some of it has to do with over-saturating the amps with many extra effects processors which only degrade the signal quality (or depending on your preference "enhance" the listening experience). Another significant reason why your Pioneer amp sounds better is because a lot of the materials use to make it were more natural, and a lot of what is used today is post-consumer/industrial recycled. This also significantly affects reliability in many areas. So in today's market, you must spend more to achieve what was less costly before, due to an ever declining supply of 100% natural materials. However, technology has improved as well, and I'll tell you that your Pioneer amp cannot hold a candle to some of the Pioneer Elite amplifiers produced today.
We can tell each other that certain receivers will beat out other ones, but it's a very subjective thing. I'm obviously a solid-state analog guy, myself. Some will proclaim that digital sound is vastly superior because of it's clarity, but I'm just not into it. The higher-end Pioneer, Onkyo, and Sony receivers of today may beat my 1974 Pioneer, but I don't really care at the same time. The price difference alone (free vs. buying brand new at retail for $500-$600) makes me happy with what I have. :P
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Eviltaco64X wrote:The higher-end Pioneer, Onkyo, and Sony receivers of today may beat my 1974 Pioneer, but I don't really care at the same time. The price difference alone (free vs. buying brand new at retail for $500-$600) makes me happy with what I have. :P
I wasn't trying to say otherwise. All I meant was that in this day and age quality comes at a higher price than it used to many years ago. And yes, Quality is very subjective regardless of the industry. For example, you may determine the quality of a vehicle by it's reliability, and I may determine the quality based off the performance of the vehicle.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Just an update: The tube buffer sounds incredible. I honestly didn't think there would be this much of a difference. Even relatives with so-so hearing have commented on the improvement in sound. I am extremely happy with this purchase.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Oh god, wait for it...
My frigging atari 2600 has outlasted all my other consoles in terms of durability. the nes with its blinking grey syndrome and even the 360with its rrod prove that older stuff was built better.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

DanteJay wrote:Just an update: The tube buffer sounds incredible. I honestly didn't think there would be this much of a difference. Even relatives with so-so hearing have commented on the improvement in sound. I am extremely happy with this purchase.
I actually just got done hooking all of my stereo equipment up (2x100W 80s Sony Floor speakers/2x75W mid-90s Pioneer bookshelf speakers).

After testing it out with a variety of different genres of music, I can say that ME AND THE TRANCE ARE ONE, and that the bass is great.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Smiley wrote:
Oh god, wait for it...
My frigging atari 2600 has outlasted all my other consoles in terms of durability. the nes with its blinking grey syndrome and even the 360with its rrod prove that older stuff was built better.
Atari definitely won the quality battle with the Jaguar CD.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Smiley wrote:
Oh god, wait for it...
No it doesn't. It proves that older stuff was built simpler.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Eviltaco64X wrote:I actually just got done hooking all of my stereo equipment up (2x100W 80s Sony Floor speakers/2x75W mid-90s Pioneer bookshelf speakers).

After testing it out with a variety of different genres of music, I can say that ME AND THE TRANCE ARE ONE, and that the bass is great.
Awesome. My band mates and I actually will be releasing a trance/techno album later this year. Once we have some tracks done, maybe you could give me your opinion on them?

Smiley wrote:My frigging atari 2600 has outlasted all my other consoles in terms of durability. the nes with its blinking grey syndrome and even the 360with its rrod prove that older stuff was built better.
20th century fox games for the Atari rot like it's nobody's business. The masked roms in those were of very poor quality.

The NES's blinking light has nothing to do with the longevity of the technology in the machine. It has that issue because of Nintendo's major design flaw of the cartridge connector. If the pins are dirty or slightly misaligned, then it doesn't make a proper connection. Contrast this to the SNES and the Genesis which were built very well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Since I know you've all been DYING to know what I've been working on for the past year, here's a quick rundown:

two Edison cylinder players:

a portable suitcase-model Victrola:

two tube-powered record players:

two pairs of old brass binoculars:

another radio console:

a couple of antique fans:

a book (in progress)

and a short album (also in progress).

Also, this:

and... getting engaged.

Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

:o
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Damn, you've been busy. What will the book be about?

Also, creepy lady is creepy.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Holy shit, never even noticed that before.

CANNOT UNSEE
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...