Help with transparancy?

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with transparancy?

Post by Mattiethomas »

Hey, I'm working on something and can't figure out how to turn these images into transparent logos so they can be placed on top of another image. AKA, I don't need the black backgrounds.

Is this possible? Can anyone help? I'd highly appreciate it.

Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Help with transparancy?

Post by Stryfe »

The first two photos aren't a solid black background, so you won't have much luck with those, they also have the background color integrated into the logo part you need kept intact.

The third photo should be easy enough to do with something like Photoshop, or a free alternative like PAINT.NET.
ImageImageImageImage
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

It can work if the image below the logos is near black.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

The first two images you may want to just get rid of the solid black first, then use the color replacement tool to whatever they are going on top of. Third one is extremely easy though.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

How would you suggest is the best way I get rid of the solid black?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

What photo editing program do you use?

If you don't have access to Photoshop, because it's not free, I'd use Irfanview and/or PAINT.NET.

Irfanview is fully customizable with plugins, and while PAINT.NET requires one of the NET frameworks installed, it can mimic certain features of Photoshop. Best of all, they are both free.

I've also heard that GIMP is good, but I've never used it myself. It's available for Windows and Linux.
ImageImageImageImage
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

I have Photoshop but never use it for really detailed stuff. Mostley just cropping, sizing, etc. so I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to using it. Which is why I'm having a tough time even turning the last one into a transparent logo. Heh.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I've emailed over a photoshop doc to you Mattie. It's from a sig competition that Infinity Ward did prior to the release of the CoD4. You should be able to use the "Modern Warfare" text with the scanlines effect from that as it's on a new layer allowing it to be overlayed whatever background you want. Hope it helps.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

For the last pic (the "easy" one), follow these steps.

1.) Using the magic wand or lasso tool, select the area of the image you want to be transparent.

You may want to experiment a few times with the tolerance and anti-aliasing settings to get the best selection, because the edges could end up looking "jagged/pixelated".

Hit the Delete button to remove the wand/lasso selection of the pic. The selected area is removed, and the transparent background will be represented by a checkered pattern.

2.) Select the "Save As" option. Select the Matte drop-menu, then select Custom. A color select window will appear, now enter the color (in 6 digit hexidecimal) that best matches the image where you'll be layering this transparent image.

---

I'm not sure how to do this in Photoshop, but the other images would require you to select a "color" to be made transparent at save. Depending on the program used, you would manually enter the color you want remove from the image in hexidecimal, or you would mouse click on an area of the image to remove that color.
ImageImageImageImage