DL2032 Batteries for VMU.

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

DL2032 Batteries for VMU.

Post by GyroVorbis »

For those of you who don't know, I have recently reignited my DC obsession by playing through Skies of Arcadia (or I still am, just hit disc 2). Anyway, I wanted the full experience, so I had to screw around with "Pinta Quest" on my VMU.

I went to the store for batteries and like an idiot saw "2032" and bought them without looking any farther. When I get them home, they turned out to be DL2032 rather than the CR2032s that the VMU takes. They're apparently the lithium equivalents.

To my surprise, they actually wound up kicking ass. I have been playing Pinta Quest on and off for at least a few weeks now, and they're still alive. I just wanted to pass the word along that if you are looking into purchasing batteries for your VMU, I would recommend going with the lithiums.

Has anybody else tried using them? You also noticing huge increases in lifetime?
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DL2032 Batteries for VMU.

Post by DCDayDreamer »

It's been a while but I'm sure it's the same lithium battery (or at least an equivalent), all VMU batteries should be lithium, I've used BR2032 in the past, not sure why the letters are different though. Normally it's the brand of battery which dictates the quality (lifespan), maybe someone else on the boards would know a bit more on the subject?.
Across the Universe
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yeah, I think the only difference between a "DL2032" and a "CR2032" is that Duracell wanted their own part number instead of using the generic one.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

:o

After a 10 second Google search, you're right. DL2032 is Duracell's CR2032. Either Duracell really kicks ass, or the VMU battery life is much longer than I remembered.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

You can also use the VMU Emulator on Dream Explorer/VMU Tool to play it on your TV without having to buy batteries :)
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

cant u take old motherboard batteries and slap them in a VMU to have a rechargeable power source?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

All the playing of games I ever did on the vmu was off one set of batteries. The lifetime on them IS really good.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Nico0020 wrote:cant u take old motherboard batteries and slap them in a VMU to have a rechargeable power source?
I'm pretty sure the motherboard doesn't charge the batteries.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Quzar wrote:All the playing of games I ever did on the vmu was off one set of batteries. The lifetime on them IS really good.
I don't ever remember VMU batteries lasting long at all...
It's thinking...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

|darc| wrote:
Quzar wrote:All the playing of games I ever did on the vmu was off one set of batteries. The lifetime on them IS really good.
It's all relative, I didn't play all that many VMU games. Got in a bunch of SEGA GT's mini racing, Pinta's Quest, and Time Stalker's Monster thingy.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

|darc| wrote:
I remember them lasting about two weeks when I got a new VMU. I never bothered to replace them after that.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.