Whats some good Dreamcast games that didn't make it to theUS

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re:

Post by Sweater Fish »

Juan wrote: Border Down. NO
Under Defeat. MEH
I'm pretty amazed that someone who likes shooters would not love Under Defeat. It's a full on classic in my opinion. Border Down I can understand more, though I think it's pretty good myself.
Capcom games for Matchmaking Service (Streetfighter 2, Vampire Chronicle, Puzzle Fighter 2, etc.) (If you haven't played them - straight ports, no extras)
I haven't played the others, but Super Puzzle Fighter II X For Matching Service is not just a straight port of the arcade game. In fact, it has two brand new modes called Y and Z that feature completely different gameplay mechanics. So it's essentially three puzzle games in one, and all three modes are very good. I can't remember which is which, but one of the new modes plays more or less like Columns and the other is a bit like Tetris Attack except that you rotate groups of four blocks rather than just swapping two blocks. Definitely highly recommended for puzzle fans.

I think there's only two other import games that I'd highly recommend which haven't been mentioned yet in this thread. First is FirePro Wrestling D. Even if you're not usually a fan of wrestling games, FirePro is so well designed and engaging that I think just about anyone would have to like it. It's addictive just the same way a good sidescrolling beat'em up is.

The other game is Cool Cool Toon. This is another of those Japan-only games that came out before 2001, so it never got as much attention in the West as inferior imports like Cosmic Smash did just because they cam eout after the DC was officially dead over here. Cool Cool Toon is a rhtyhm game from SNK that cam eout just shortly before SNK was bought up and devoured by Aruze, so it comes from a time when SNK was at the top of their game. It's still probably my favorite rhythm game on any console to this day. Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents is the only one that give it a run for its money and, in fact, Cool Cool Toon plays quite a bit like Ouendan, once you get past the fact that it uses a regular controller instead of a a touchscreen, obviously. Aside from its gameplay, Cool Cool Toon also has really cool and distinct art style and character designs. Super colorful and very exagerated and over the top in a cartoony way. It also features original music which is really good and fits the game perfectly. I can't recommend Cool Cool Toon enough. It breaks my heart that there's so few people out there who've played it.

...word is bondage...
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Whats some good Dreamcast games that didn't make it to theUS

Post by Cid Highwind »

Cool cool toon, it's still standing here nice 'n sealed. Haven't given it proper attention yet. Does it work with any peripherals in a fun way?
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

You can use the Maracas and honestly I think that's the only way to get some serious fun with it. I bought it recently and tried it for maybe 15 minutes and it definitely seems to be something special and it's been SNK's biggest and most expensive Dreamcast production, but without the Maracas it's feels a bit empty.

Check the GD-ROM for the Maracas tutorial.
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Re: Re:

Sweater Fish wrote:
Capcom games for Matchmaking Service (Streetfighter 2, Vampire Chronicle, Puzzle Fighter 2, etc.) (If you haven't played them - straight ports, no extras)
I haven't played the others, but Super Puzzle Fighter II X For Matching Service is not just a straight port of the arcade game.
I think Street Fighter Zero 3 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures are the only games in the 'for Matching Service' series released in the west. All of them have added options and game modes. The best of the bunch is Vampire Chronicle though which is a compilation/collection of the entire Darkstalkers arcade series merged into one big game. Very nice. :)
DaMadFiddler wrote:Propeller Arena was disappointingly boring.
I never played it alone but with two or more players it's pretty good.
MapleBuster wrote:Er, I think you'll find it was the first game mentioned by DaMadfiddler ! Followed by Calavera and JK Dark. So three mentions in the first few posts :wink:
I think I was just once again surprised to hear that it's not been released in the US. But then again, so was Shenmue 2... >_<

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Thanks for the
Christuserloeser wrote:You can use the Maracas and honestly I think that's the only way to get some serious fun with it. I bought it recently and tried it for maybe 15 minutes and it definitely seems to be something special and it's been SNK's biggest and most expensive Dreamcast production, but without the Maracas it's feels a bit empty.

Check the GD-ROM for the Maracas tutorial.

Thanks for the tip. I never noticed the tutorial before. It's a ridiculously hard game but still a favourite of mine.

Hopefully Caleb's new video will see him dressed in a giant pink rabbit suit, shaking his booty. Can't wait.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Cool Cool Toon works with the maracas in the same way that most any Dreamcast game works with the maracas, which is to say not well. The game requires very precise control and the maracas just aren't nearly accurate enough for it. The movements you make when playing with the maracas also have little to do with what your character does onscreen, so it doesn't feel right anyway. The game was designed to be played with a controller and that's the way it plays best. I think SNK realized that the game would work with the maracas at the last minute and sort of made that an addendum, but the game definitely wasn't designed with maraca control in mind.

Cool Cool Toon isn't a dance game in the way DDR or Samba de Amigo are anyway. While the game is about dancing (flitzing, actually), the gameplay style is quite different. Like I said, more Ouendan-ish.

...word is bondage...
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Sweater Fish, thanks for the tip regarding the tip :) .

I agree that Cool Cool Toon is a nice game. I salute you as a fellow Ouendan fan and I think Under Defeat is a top shooter.

But you say Cosmic Smash is an inferior import ! How so ?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MapleBuster wrote:Sweater Fish, thanks for the tip regarding the tip :) .

I agree that Cool Cool Toon is a nice game. I salute you as a fellow Ouendan fan and I think Under Defeat is a top shooter.

But you say Cosmic Smash is an inferior import ! How so ?
It is a fun game, and feels like a mesh of the Virtua Tennis game engine and the Rez graphics engine. However, there just isn't much to it. It's a more advanced Arkanoid, with 3D tennis controls instead of a single-axis paddle. It's not really worth the full cost of a game, especially when you can do more or less the same thing in some of the training modes in both Virtua Tennis games.
Christuserloeser

That being said, it's a nice game with a very nice DVD packaging :)

SegaGagaDomain Article: http://www.segagagadomain.com/dreamcast ... csmash.htm
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

dreamstudio
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Yeah, Cosmic Smash is not a bad game at all, it's quite fun sometimes. I only meant that it is inferior to games such as Lack Of Love, Napple Tale or Cool Cool Toon, but still gets more attention as an import, mostly because it came out a time when Dreamcast gamers over here had been stranded and were looking for new games from Japan. Same goes for Puyo Puyo Fever or some of the crappier shooters that have come out over the past few years (*cough* Trizeal *cough* *cough* Chaos Field *cough*).

...word is bondage...