Segagaga translation in the works

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Segagaga translation in the works

Post by Calavera »

Honestly, I don't think it'll ever be completed, more than likely they will lose interest around 35%.
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grimlock »

That would be a shame.

Hail Picard!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Calavera wrote:Honestly, I don't think it'll ever be completed, more than likely they will lose interest around 35%.
I doubt that. Deltahead does do professional work on commercial projects and it wouldn't look to good if they just give up.

- For those who missed it: They're looking for a programmer / hex editor atm: viewtopic.php?p=987931#p987931
Insane homebrew collector.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I think he is in North Carolina...there has got to be somebody in the area with some crazy programming skills. However, I guess this gives me more time to look for a copy of Segagaga!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I'm tempted to write (once more) that this is a long overdue update for the Segagaga blog, but, frankly, this is the first time I've been able to devote to Segagaga in months.

So here's a status update. In response to our call for programming help, some fine folks have undertaken to work out a font size for the game that will let us put the text in without block letters. My communication with them has been hit-and-miss, as the leader of their project was trying to contact me in the thick of all the work that hit me. If any of you, dear readers, have contact with these folks, please let them know that I am finally free to get down to business.

In other news, we have gained exceptional assistance with translating the nuances of Segagaga's script. If anyone is concerned about the accuracy or thoroughness of our work, rest assured that our translation will be solid.

Source
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Saw this posted(apparently back in Oct) by Adilegian at DCemu.co.uk, not sure if it was reposted here or not.
Dear gentlefolks,

This is James Howell, project manager
for the public domain localization of Segagaga. ("Public domain localization" might sound like a fancy way of getting around the rubric "fan translation," but there actually are legitimate reasons why it doesn't wholly qualify as a fan translation that I can't get into here.)

Anyway! Our programming cohorts are currently busy with their own projects and are unavailable at the moment, so I turn to the homebrew community with my plea.

We're trying to localize enough, for now, that would make the first R&D Lab area of Segagaga playable. However, to fully localize the material, we need access to the texture image files since several of the textures (such as background images) feature Japanese writing and could be amended to make the English language experience more comprehensive.

The problem is that I am unsure how to access these texture images. My research has pointed to .PVR as the usual format for texture images, and I've downloaded the appropriate utilities to convert .PVR files into more standard formats. However, the .PVR files that exist do not contain any meaningful image data, and I'm not sure where else to look to extract these images.

Can anyone direct me to a DC development utility that would enable me to extract these images for localization editing?

If anyone could offer direct support in this problem, I'd be triply grateful. My strengths lie in linguistics rather than in coding or programming.

Thanks!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Look I've just seen a few screen shots from that game and read a bunch of stuff online, so I don't know how great the game is and something tells me it would disappoint, because if it really were all that it has been made out to be Sega would've translated it and released it 6 months after it was released in Japan.

If not they could've released on some other system for example Sega released Hundred Swords for the PC even though the Japanese DC version never got an American Release.

Just speculation I hope I am wrong because from the DCM preview the game was made out to be awesome.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

It seems that they haven't any time to devote to this project recently.

Maybe we'll see a complete translation in 2011, the five year anniversary?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=9519.0
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Look I've just seen a few screen shots from that game and read a bunch of stuff online, so I don't know how great the game is and something tells me it would disappoint, because if it really were all that it has been made out to be Sega would've translated it and released it 6 months after it was released in Japan.
Sure, they didn't translate it because it's a bad game. - Like dozens of other games Sega of Japan made but which never were released in the West. All bad games. :roll:
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I feel like I've been taken into a corner and beaten up :oops:

All I am saying is can Duke Nukem Forever, ever live up to the hype we've built up for it in our mind?

DON'T KICK ME IN THE NAGS :cry:
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Does anybody have any information about this project? It has been a long time since we got any news.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Calavera wrote:Honestly, I don't think it'll ever be completed, more than likely they will lose interest around 35%.
I think this happend.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

cube_b3 wrote:
I think this happend.
Who knows. Not that long time ago a fan translation of Policenauts was released. While the game text had been translated for a long time it took a much longer time to actually insert it into the game...
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Who said, "Hope for the best, expect the worst"?

I think it was Adam Doree of Kikizo, nonetheless those are words to live by.
Captain Dreamcast
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

EDIT: Deleted due to uber nerdiness. Live with it.
Last edited by Captain Dreamcast on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Great Justice!
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Captain Dreamcast wrote:Since SGGG is and has always been my favorite game, I feel the sudden urge to write a paragraph or three:

This may fall into the category of illegal modification, but let's just say that translating a game is a grey area, 'kay?

1. Extracting the textures from SGGG is a bitch.

Textures and voices are stored in .MRG (Merge) files. Thes Merge files are what they are: If you open them with a HEX editor, it's plain to see that it's just all the data in the row. From what I remember, these MRG files didn't even have a header. Extracting voices is easy, I wrote a tool back in the day to do that job just fine. The PVR textures are a bit trickier though: At first I though they used a custom header, but after some research, I realized that different types of compressions are used on them. I'm pretty sure it's not the MRG files who handle the compression (Remember, ADX-extraction worked fine). I was even able to compare an uncompressed Texture to a compressed one using a tool which let's you extract textures with NullDC but was unable to work out the compression scheme. AFAIK, Howell found someone who could do the job so Congrats to you, James.
I am currently working on a PVM file extractor / packer.
PVM files is a small header then a bunch of PVR's glued together.
My tool will scan the PVM file, would work the same for a headerless file, extract all the PVR textures, and read all the information on the textures; resolution, pixel format, compression, etc.

Bump-mapped and YUV442 textures do not work with the Photoshop .pvr plug-in. For these, pvr2png is the best solution.
Paletted textures are another issue altogether...
I have come across one type of pvr format that I can not decompress, but this type does not use the standard pvr header posted here:
http://www.fabiensanglard.net/Mykaruga/ ... Format.txt
Captain Dreamcast
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

PH3NOM wrote:
I am currently working on a PVM file extractor / packer.
PVM files is a small header then a bunch of PVR's glued together.
My tool will scan the PVM file, would work the same for a headerless file, extract all the PVR textures, and read all the information on the textures; resolution, pixel format, compression, etc.

Bump-mapped and YUV442 textures do not work with the Photoshop .pvr plug-in. For these, pvr2png is the best solution.
Paletted textures are another issue altogether...
I have come across one type of pvr format that I can not decompress, but this type does not use the standard pvr header posted here:
http://www.fabiensanglard.net/Mykaruga/ ... Format.txt
Yeah, SGGG has three normal, uncompressed PVR files which need to be converted with pvr2png. It doesn't work for the textures inside the MRG files though.
The reason I concluded that the PVRs are compressed is because the header is not in standard format, heck, it doesn't even have the standard length. After trying every PVR related tool the interwebz could supply me with, I've realized that the only choice left seems to be a good old HEX-editor.

EDIT: I've taken another good look at those .MRG files: They do have a small header, nothing big though, it doesn't handle the compression, so it's not that interesting to me. On a side note, these files are more similar to the PVM than I first believed.
For Great Justice!
YZB
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by YZB »

mrg file which contains the packaging and compression pvr files

DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

@Captain Dreamcast

In case no one has said this yet, welcome to the forums. It's always nice to have new people join the forum!

It's good to see that this is still coming along. I'd be interested in playing this for sure.
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Hello all, I uploaded these videos to youtube last month. Enjoy.