Modem through a mac on broadband

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Aurik
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aurik »

Hi all
I just came across this thread, and I've tried out the instructions that have been posted.

Here are my results:
The DreamCast dials...and I can hear the handshaking of the modem...but it doesn't end, and eventually on the DreamCast side, it says that there was no answer.
My Terminal windows look like this while the negotiating is going on:

auriks-Computer:/usr/bin root# ./cu -l /dev/cu.modem -s 57600
Connected.
ATA

Nothing past this point.

auriks-Computer:/Users/aurik root# pppd -detach /dev/cu.modem 57600 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2
Sat May 8 00:29:56 2004 : set_up_tty, can't set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted
Sat May 8 00:29:56 2004 : using link 1
Sat May 8 00:29:56 2004 : Using interface ppp1
Sat May 8 00:29:56 2004 : Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/cu.modem

Nothing past this point either.

I'm guessing that the modem isn't answering...and I'm not sure how to resolve this, or if there is something that I didn't do right. I did follow the instructions that were posted, and I downloaded cu and copied it into /usr/bin

I even setup the /etc/ppp/options file even though I wasn't sure if I was supposed to.

Any ideas would be welcome!!

Oh yes...I'm using OS X.3.3 on a 266mhz iMac.
pb2ya
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by pb2ya »

I tried this a month ago, but uninstalled minicom because I had some errors with it...
-EDIT- nevermind, minicom is listed in fink commander, but fink install minicom wont work o_0
cubeman80
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by cubeman80 »

KeithIrwin wrote:I tried it out with my friend Stefan tonight, and it worked fine for him too. Talking with him about it has lead to a couple of small changes in the guide, but nothing which suggests a solution to MaximumZero's problems, unfortunately. I've also made an HTML version (same content, but apparently the text file didn't line wrap on some browsers). It's not pretty yet (in some ways it's uglier than the plain text guide), and I haven't completed a version for the zero-unix knowledge crowd, although I will do that soon, but it can be found at http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.html The text version has the updated content as well. Basically, I changed one option in PPP to avoid an error where it would sometimes think that the serial port was looped back if your timing was a little off and confirmed that the binary form of cu that I posted works, so I've included that. So, I've definitely confirmed that it does work on machines other than my own, including a machine running Panther, but I'm still not sure what the problem was when we tried it with MaximumZero, so there may still be pitfalls out there that I don't understand.

Keith
How's that tutorial for the zero-unix knowledge crowd coming? I've been waiting anxiously for a couple months now, and I'm just wondering if it's coming or not. Maybe it would be better if I just learned a little Unix...... But good job getting this to work on the Mac. It's something that us Mac DC users need big time.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Im working on scripting the whole process,and a front end GUI for the active connect/disconnect process. It not that hard,but ive had no time lately. Im working on the UUCP setup that requires the dev package, trying to avoid large downloads. I was trying to set it up two nights ago, but messed up moving the 'options' file in the /etc/ppp/ directory.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
cubeman80
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by cubeman80 »

That's great news!! The only problem I have with that is that I don't have the dev stuff installed, and I don't have the disc for Panther. I installed Panther from my uncle's install CD and there's no chance of me getting the dev CD from him anytime soon. I do have the Jaguar dev CD though. Would the Jaguar dev stuff work with Panther? I doubt it, but it's worth a try I guess. Of course I won't try it until I know it will work though. What do you guys think?
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Nope, I doubt it will work,the 10.3 (or whatever stupid feline name they are now currently using) Dev tools has a whole new project builder in it.

Once I get the Dev pack one scripted, I'll try to script the other process(fink usage). looking at a timetable of the end of the month for hopefully both...little longer for the inducer update. This is gonna be fun!

jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

I have found this :
http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

the read me say that :

The purpose of a terminal emulator is to connect your computer to another computer, either through a modem or a direct connection. There are other cases where the connection might be going through something other than a modem, such as a PBX system in the work environment. Terminal emulation software running on your Mac makes it act like a video display terminal, which basically displays incoming information on the screen and sends characters you type to the other computer. In addition, most terminal emulators support file transfers, so you can send or receive files from the other computer with error recovery.

if this can help maybe someone can make a tutorial ? i don't understand all ...
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

I read more and i think we have just to hold down shift when we start Zterm
-to select serial port : modem
-to type ATA ( answer an incoming call and attempt to connect)
or to type ATS0=1 (set modem to auto answer after one ring)

i will test that when i could ...
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

no one try ? for me no result ... :(
dahoywoo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dahoywoo »

Here's how I tried doing this:
Set up everything as per instructions,
start up cu with that command, type in ATA, hit enter
Hit connect on the dreamcast,
as soon as I do that, I start pppd, and I can hear modem noises, and I start hearing things connect and all,
But then I get an error, and it seems to be some sort of authentication thing?
Here's a log (kinda):

Code: Select all

[TheG4:~] johnrega% pppd -detach /dev/cu.modem 57600 192.168.0.105:192.168.0.102 
Thu Aug  5 03:09:33 2004 : set_up_tty, can't set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted
Thu Aug  5 03:09:33 2004 : using link 0
Thu Aug  5 03:09:33 2004 : Using interface ppp0
Thu Aug  5 03:09:33 2004 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.modem
Thu Aug  5 03:09:49 2004 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x60 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp> <accomp> <magic 0x2c8c>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:49 2004 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <auth 0xc227> <magic 0x77a5ac74> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:49 2004 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFREJ.
Thu Aug  5 03:09:49 2004 : sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x60 <asyncmap 0x0>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x61 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp> <accomp> <magic 0x2c8c>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFREJ.
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x61 <asyncmap 0x0>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x62 <pcomp> <accomp> <magic 0x2c8c>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : lcp_reqci: returning CONFACK.
Thu Aug  5 03:09:50 2004 : sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x62 <pcomp> <accomp> <magic 0x2c8c>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:52 2004 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <auth 0xc227> <magic 0x77a5ac74> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : rcvd [LCP ConfNak id=0x1 <auth chap MD5>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <magic 0x77a5ac74> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <magic 0x77a5ac74> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : peer refused to authenticate: terminating link
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "peer refused to authenticate"]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x5 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 00>]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
Thu Aug  5 03:09:53 2004 : Connection terminated.

So it seems like there's some authentication thing not going on?

I'm using PlanetWeb 2.6, I have the dreamcast dial "1" and I have nothing in the username or passwords.

Also, for the IPs in the PPD command, does it go Mac:Dreamcast or Dreamcast:Mac ?
dahoywoo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dahoywoo »

Sorry for the double post, but I GOT IT WORKING!!!

Here is what I did!

First, I edited the /etc/hostconfig file, and changed the following:

IPFORWARDING=-YES-
AUTHSERVER=-YES-
They were set to "NO" by default.

I then restarted my computer, to make sure everything was running.

I went ahead and set up my dreamcast to use my short login name and password that I use on my own personal computer. For my own "Does it go Mac:Dreamcast or Dreamcast:Mac" question, I used "Mac:Dreamcast" for IP address assigning.

I then did these steps in the following order:

1). "sudo cu -l /dev/cu.modem -s 57600"
2). In the cu window, I typed in ATA, then hit ENTER
3). In dreamcast PlanetWeb Browser 2.6, I hit connect
4). I then immediately did "sudo pppd -detach /dev/cu.modem 57600 192.168.0.102:192.168.0.106" Notice, I use DSL and have a router installed in the house, 192.168.0.102 is my Mac's IP address assigned by the router, and 192.168.0.106 is what I wanted to give to the dreamcast

And everything seemed to work after that! I went to google, typed in "Miserable Failure", hit I'm feeling Lucky, and BAM! It went. Of course, it went at 33.6k speeds, but the point is, I no longer have to tie up the phone line.

So, all in all, I think the /etc/hostconfig file needs to be looked at, I'm not sure what it was that worked for me, turning on AUTHSERVER or IPFORWARDING, or both? I'm not sure what was needed, I just on a whim tried both at the same time (Not the scientific process, I know)

Also, as far as enabling Internet Sharing in the System Preferences Panel, I don't think it needs to be done? I'll try later with it off. In my particular setup, the ethernet port on my G4 is dead, and I have a cheap Ethernet card in there. Well, I didn't wanna do internet sharing over the main network, the internet is already being shared by the router. So, I set to to sharing over the dead port, so I know Internet Sharing software IS running, but not affecting the rest of the network. But is it needed at all?

So, yeah, that's my setup.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

For the novice mac user get vpc and use the old pso way through windows
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

And what's the "Old PSO way"?
cubeman80
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by cubeman80 »

So what's the status of those scripts I.M. Weasel? Are you still working on them? If you aren't, then I think I'll try VPC.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Any more news on this? , I might try VPC actually 8-)
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Megatron is refering to phantasy star online- PSO.

Cube- I wont be releasing any srcipts for this anytime soon ,because I am quite lost with it.

Matt- i dunno daywoohoo seems that his way is working rather good and is not too complicated, you mihgt be able to hash it out yourself.

DarkX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DarkX »

*sigh*
tried to get this working, but it won't...

Neither Minicom (Fink binairy) nor cu works.

At Minicom "sudo minicom -s" results in nothing, but when starting with "sudo minicom" I can set the parameters.
But it never receive anything from the DC.

pppd stops its displaying after:

using link 0 
Using interface ppp0 
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.modem
cu starts sometimes, but after showing "connected" I cannot type in nothing.
Mostly it stops with error:

cu: open (/dev/cu.modem): Permission denied
cu: /dev/cu.modem: Line in use
iMac Rev. D & OSX 10.3.9
DC with DreamKey 3.0
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

Just spent about a half hour fiddling around in the terminal, hoping I didn't fuck anything up, and came out with nothing.

Sigh.

Anyway, I ran the terminal command to uninstall fink but it also notes that I should "

If you aren't planning to reinstall Fink you also will want to remove the "source /sw/bin/init.csh" line you added to your .cshrc file or the "source /sw/bin/init.sh" line you added to your .bashrc file, whichever is appropriate to your setup, using a text editor."

How the bloody hell do I do that?