Modem through a mac on broadband

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jiloup »

Sorry for the responde time i create a french dreamcast macintosh tutorial website (http://membres.lycos.fr/mactutodream/)
Weasel can i put a translate of your tuto for burn with mkisofs ?

sorry keith but i can't see where i must install cu (where is USR/BIN ?)
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Ah, yeah, I see that my instuctions for how to install cu are lacking since I assume that you know what "cd" is and how to use it. I'm trying to assume no unix knowledge, but I forget sometimes and assume some. Sorry. I appreciate your patience.

The /usr/bin directory is not visible from the Finder unless you have TinkerTool installed (or something similar), so instead here are improved instructions for doing it from the command line.

1) Open up the folder where you have downloaded cu in the Finder.
2) Open up a terminal. Type "sudo cp " and do not press return. (Notice the space after cu)
3) Drag cu from the Finder to the terminal. This will cause the file's location to appear in the terminal. Again still don't press return.
4) Type " /usr/bin" in the terminal and press return. (Notice the space before the first slash)
5) Enter your password.
6) Try the cu instructions from the guide.

Keith
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

jiloup wrote:Sorry for the responde time i create a french dreamcast macintosh tutorial website (http://membres.lycos.fr/mactutodream/)
Weasel can i put a translate of your tuto for burn with mkisofs ?

sorry keith but i can't see where i must install cu (where is USR/BIN ?)
As long as you translate any credits to that page into francais and then give credit to moi. And give yourself credit for the translation.

Tu parle une petite francais.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

same bug that i have with minicom after the password nothing :

Last login: Tue Mar 30 11:24:34 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Ordinateur-de-Sean-William-Scott:/Users/jiloup/users/jiloup jiloup$ sudo cp /Users/jiloup/Desktop/cu /usr/bin
Ordinateur-de-Sean-William-Scott:/Users/jiloup/users/jiloup jiloup$

here the password is not request because i give to him after :(
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

There's nothing more that is supposed to happen there. I don't see any error, so I assume that it copied it successfully. Now go to the guide and follow the instructions for using cu:

Using the link

1) Tell the Dreamcast to connect. Do this as you usually would.
2) Tell the Mac to answer.
"sudo cu -l /dev/cu.modem -s 57600" Once it says "Connected." (which just means that you've connected to the modem) type ATA and press enter.
3) Have pppd take over the connection. Leave cu running. Do not quit it. Then in another terminal window, enter "sudo pppd -detach /dev/cu.modem 57600 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2".
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

Yeah it seem to work but new prob : it's the first time i try to use my dc modem and it won't start : when i see in text what the modem do it say things with "OK" but when the modem script come (a thing like that : a3&e5&e8 ...) it say "ERROR" and the modem repeat this two things
I use planet web 2.6 what modem script i need to put for this work ? maybe i need a european browser but where can i found one ?
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

I have been thinking about this, and I have an idea about what might be going wrong.

The Dreamcast and the Mac will not connect until you have told the Mac to answer. After step 1, do not wait for something to happen, do step 2 immediately.

If my guess is wrong and you are doing step 2, when is the error happening? Is it saying "CONNECT 57600" before the error? Does it get the error when you tell it to answer or when you start PPP or at some other time?

Keith
jiloup
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jiloup »

The prob should be the modem init (the modem script) Because i use planet web 2.6 with a european dreamcast.
Do you know what modem script i should use with my modem ?
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Umm, what modem script? The dreamcast doesn't accept a modem script, I don't believe, and the Mac side you're doing manually instead of with a script. I don't think that the web browser should make a bit of difference. If you can explain to me when and in what circumstances the problem is occuring, I might be able to help.

Are you telling the Mac to answer the phone by starting cu and typing "ATA"? If you don't tell the Mac to answer, the Dreamcast is never going to connect. Is it connecting and then saying ERROR or is it not connecting?

Keith
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

So...can someone take me from the top and post the full instructions?
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

If you have some rough unix familiarity, use my guide that I posted the link to in my first post. If you have no unix familiarity, then you'll want to wait a couple of days for me to rework the guide if you want a full one, although you can also try following the instructions as well as you can and then reading the additional posts if you're feeling adventurous.

Keith
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

I'm not a Unix genius, but putting up with DOS in the early 90s gave me a reason to not fear command lines.

Basically, if you tell me what to type in, I can do it.
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Well, give it a try, then. It's at http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.txt and I'll be glad to give you any help that I can.

Keith
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

Well, I don't have a damn clue what I'm doing...
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

Can someone IM me on AIM and you can talk me through it step by step?

AIM: maximumzero0
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

Well, seems that my days of online Dreamcasting are over.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I have made a script from the tutorials. I don't have broadband anymore, so I can't test it. If I could test it, I might be able to get it to work.

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Modem Script from the UUCP linked page.

Code: Select all

ats0=1 
at&w 
~.

KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

Keep in mind that the UUCP stuff is really only being installed so that cu can be used. We're not actually connecting via UUCP. The only command that the modem should really need on the Mac end is "ATA" (i.e. Hey, Modem, answer) and the only command on the DC end is some form of "ATDT" or "ATD" (i.e. Hey, Modem, dial), which should be done without you needing to do anything (other than turn on blind dialing).

I also, have to give some general warning. I went through trying to get this set up last night with MaximumZero, and we couldn't get it to work on his machine. I really don't know why, but we couldn't get the modems to talk to each other at all. So, if others wish to try this, I recommend not worrying about the ppp configuration stuff until after you make sure that the mac can answer the dreamcast's modem and acheive a "CONNECT 57600" message. That'll save you some hassle in case things don't work. I'm going to go through this process with some other friends of mine, and hopefully if there are any kinks, we can handle them.

Keith
KeithIrwin
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by KeithIrwin »

I tried it out with my friend Stefan tonight, and it worked fine for him too. Talking with him about it has lead to a couple of small changes in the guide, but nothing which suggests a solution to MaximumZero's problems, unfortunately. I've also made an HTML version (same content, but apparently the text file didn't line wrap on some browsers). It's not pretty yet (in some ways it's uglier than the plain text guide), and I haven't completed a version for the zero-unix knowledge crowd, although I will do that soon, but it can be found at http://www.asyserver.com/~kirwin/dc-modem-to-modem.html The text version has the updated content as well. Basically, I changed one option in PPP to avoid an error where it would sometimes think that the serial port was looped back if your timing was a little off and confirmed that the binary form of cu that I posted works, so I've included that. So, I've definitely confirmed that it does work on machines other than my own, including a machine running Panther, but I'm still not sure what the problem was when we tried it with MaximumZero, so there may still be pitfalls out there that I don't understand.

Keith