Dream On Contest: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Dreamcast - 1st place will be professionally pressed on CD

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Dream On Contest: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Dreamcast - 1st place will be professionally pressed on CD

Post by MetaFox »

Update: June 7, 2019 - Important update regarding prizes and rules

The Dream On Contest has returned, as has Dream On!

The contest runs from July 6, 2018 and ends on December 31, 2019 (extended from the original end date of September 9, 2019 to allow for more time for development of entries), as this year marks the twentieth anniversary of the release of the Dreamcast outside of Japan. Submissions can be submitted at the Dream On Contest itch.io jam page.

The first place prize will be professionally pressed on CD for commercial sale.

The rules for first prize need to have the assets created by you or your team, have permission to use them, or have a license that allows you to use them.

Anyone who isn't interested in a commercial release of their game is free to submit anything they like. Emulators and applications will fall under this as well, unless you submit an emulator or application that runs an original game that you own or an original game that you have explicit permission to use.

First prize entries must be an original game, although improved versions of games that you created will be accepted as well.

Entries that aren't submitted for first prize consideration are no-holds-barred. Enter whatever you like. It'll be interesting to see what's submitted. :)

Prizes other than first prize hasn't been decided yet, but there will be prizes for at least second and third place as well.

The contest has been set up to run until September 9th to leave ample time for the creation of entries.

Teams are permitted. If you wish to use pre-created assets please use those with licenses that allow commercial use as a pressed game award is the first prize. This will be similar to the previous Dream On contests, where The GOAT Store published the winning entries. It's unknown at this moment whether The GOAT Store will publish the winning game again, but the game will be professionally pressed and sold commercially. I have had CDs made from Disk Makers and will be using their services for the winning game under my Cyberdog Castle company if The GOAT Store opts not to publish. Their pressed discs and cases are of awesome quality, so the winning game will be great no matter what. :)

To help alleviate some concerns raised in previous Dreamcast contests, I (MetaFox, also known as JenniBee) am offering to create game assets (music, art, sound effects, voice work, etc.) for any entry that requests it. Send an e-mail to jenni@cyberdogcastle.com if you'd like me to create something for your project. :)

Feel free to use any of my previously created assets in your entry as well. I'll be submitting an entry or two myself. Of course, I won't be eligible for prizes but I'll be adding assets (art, music, sound effects, code, etc.) to the aforementioned assets repository as I make them, so feel free to use whatever you like. :)
Last edited by MetaFox on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author MetaFox for the post:
Basil
snickerbockers
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dream On Contest: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Dreamcast

Post by snickerbockers »

eeeeennnteresting. Are there any specific rules for this jam, or is this a contest for any homebrew that runs on Dreamcast?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

No rules this time around (other than to make sure if you use assets that you didn't create, to make sure the license allows you to use them). Other than that, just have fun. :D
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

snickerbockers wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pmeeeeennnteresting. Are there any specific rules for this jam, or is this a contest for any homebrew that runs on Dreamcast?
MetaFox wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 amNo rules this time around (other than to make sure if you use assets that you didn't create, to make sure the license allows you to use them). Other than that, just have fun. :D
I've got an awesome update to give: The first place prize will be professionally pressed on CD for commercial sale.

The rules for first prize need to have the assets created by you or your team, have permission to use them, or have a license that allows you to use them.

Anyone who isn't interested in a commercial release of their game is free to submit anything they like. Emulators and applications will fall under this as well, unless you submit an emulator or application that runs an original game that you own or an original game that you have explicit permission to use.

First prize entries must be an original game, although improved versions of games that you created will be accepted as well.

Entries that aren't submitted for first prize consideration are no-holds-barred. Enter whatever you like. It'll be interesting to see what's submitted. :)

Prizes other than first prize hasn't been decided yet, but there will be prizes for at least second and third place as well.

I'll be submitting an entry or two myself this year, but of course, I won't be eligible for prizes. My entry (or entries) will have completely open assets though (art, music, sound effects, code), so feel free to use whatever you want from them in your entry. I'll be releasing the assets as they're made at My Github page
Protofall
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Dream On Contest: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Dreamcast - 1st place will be professionally pressed on CD

Post by Protofall »

Nice! There was something small I was planning on making anyways, so I'll submit that for this (Its not really original so it won't be up for prizes, but its going to be fun anyways)
Moving Day: A clone of Dr Mario with 8-player support <https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4&t=105389>
A recreation of Minesweeper for the Dreamcast <viewtopic.php?f=34&t=104820>

Twitter <https://twitter.com/ProfessorToffal>
YouTube (Not much there, but there are a few things) <https://www.youtube.com/user/TrueMenfa>
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Dream On Contest: Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Dreamcast - 1st place will be professionally pressed on CD

Post by mrneo240 »

I've never written a game. Maybe now could be the time.

Can we submit multiple things?

Like a fun no-holds-barred and also a first prize submission?
kazade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kazade »

Looks like I need to accelerate development of my game!
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lerabot »

Come on dev, get working ;)
Dreamcast
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast »

How does the first place prize work in determining how many disc case artworks are printed and discs pressed? Will the winner's submission be printed / pressed all at once up to a set number of discs or will costs for printing / pressing be covered in perpetuity for as long as the game is sold as an "on demand" service? Is there a page, document or form anywhere giving the detailed rules / prize details / legalese, etc?
Dreamcast
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast »

After a month with no updates here or on the official page, etc, I take it it's safe to assume this competition has been abandoned by its creator? I was hoping to start at the beginning of this month to see what I could build in two months time, but with no guaranteed prize incentive, I think I'll have to pass on this to focus on other projects.
Protofall
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Protofall »

@Dreamcast The creator responded to a query on the Discord channel today. https://discord.gg/f3V7UU
Moving Day: A clone of Dr Mario with 8-player support <https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4&t=105389>
A recreation of Minesweeper for the Dreamcast <viewtopic.php?f=34&t=104820>

Twitter <https://twitter.com/ProfessorToffal>
YouTube (Not much there, but there are a few things) <https://www.youtube.com/user/TrueMenfa>
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Sorry about not responding. I've been volunteering with the Red Cross, and that took up a lot of my spare time in real life.

As Protofall mentioned, I answered some questions on the Discord server, but I'll answer the questions here as well.
mrneo240 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 am I've never written a game. Maybe now could be the time.

Can we submit multiple things?

Like a fun no-holds-barred and also a first prize submission?
Feel free to submit as many entries as you like. The more the merrier. :)
Dreamcast wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:15 am How does the first place prize work in determining how many disc case artworks are printed and discs pressed? Will the winner's submission be printed / pressed all at once up to a set number of discs or will costs for printing / pressing be covered in perpetuity for as long as the game is sold as an "on demand" service? Is there a page, document or form anywhere giving the detailed rules / prize details / legalese, etc?
Cydoca Entertainment (my company) will publish the winner, and the commercial pressing company I'm going to be using has a 300 print minimum for professionally pressed discs. 300 would be the original order. Cydoca's contract with the winner would be for 300 discs, and then the rights would revert back to you, as I don't personally believe in perpetual publishing rights. After the first 300 disc run though, you're free to go with another publisher (GOAT Store Publishing, JoshProd, etc.), however, you're also free to continue with Cydoca after that and I'll order another 300 discs and keep doing so as supplies run out as long as you'd like.

It also should be noted that in past Dream On Contests, we (myself and The GOAT Store for the past contests) worked with the winners to polish the games to commercial quality, and to playtest them to iron out bugs. So don't worry if your entry isn't as finished or as polished as you'd like - the contest window isn't very large after all. You'll definitely have time to extend and/or polish the game as much as you'd like before it's published.
These users thanked the author MetaFox for the post (total 3):
DreamcastJuan|darc|
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

After discussing it on the Dream On discord channel, the contest deadline has been moved to December 31 at 11:59 EST in order to give people more time to create their games.
These users thanked the author MetaFox for the post (total 2):
Dreamcast|darc|
kazade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kazade »

This is amazing news!! I'd given up trying to hit today's date, but I'll definitely have something by the end of the year :)
These users thanked the author kazade for the post:
|darc|
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

I actually have something to submit now
kazade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kazade »

So err..., the jam finished... :)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Thanks for all the entries, and thanks for understanding when I've been away. I've been a lot busier with the Red Cross than I thought I would be, and as I only have had access to a Red Cross computer that blocks gaming websites, I apologize for that.

I'll be going through the entries soon, but to make up for my absence, I'm going to give all four people who entered the contest their pick of these JoshProd games, from my collection (first come, first serve, as I only have one of each):

Alice's Mom's Rescue
Breakers
Dux 1.5
Ghost Blade
Rush Rush Rally Racing Reloaded
4x4 Jam
Flashback
Ganryu
Sturmwind
Zia and the Goddesses of Magic
Another World HD
Bang² Busters
Battle Crust
The Escapee
Fade to Black

The four of you can respond to me in this thread or in the Discord server (I'll post this there too), or via PM and I'll get you all sorted out.

Thanks again. :)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I posted this in the discord server, but I'll repost it here too:

I'm not sure if there will be another contest this year. I wasn't planning on it, as I was originally planning on doing another one in 2021 or so, but I might start one this year and end it sometime next year. The coronavirus changed everything, so considering everyone's stuck inside now, it might be a good idea to do one again.

On that note, I got all of the packages out to the people who participated in the contest in the mail today, finally. So your games should be arriving sometime soon.

Once I play through all of the entries and choose a winner, a decision can be made on whether to have another Dream On contest begin this year.
These users thanked the author MetaFox for the post (total 4):
Protofall|darc|mrneo240Ian Robinson
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I've sent out the participation prizes to the entrants, but I still haven't judged the entries. Unfortunately, that's going to have to wait for a while, for my family was unfortunately stricken with tragedy.

My stepsister contracted COVID-19 from her mother-in-law who contracted it, unknowingly, during Thanksgiving. My step-sister has type-1 diabetes, her kidneys were failing, and she was taken to the hospital and was pot on dialysis. 

She was in the hospital for two days, but she is now home and her kidneys are functioning again, but it's still going to be a fight. 

Unfortunately, her husband's dad died of COVID-19 a day after she got out of the hospital. So, it's going to be a bittersweet Christmas here this year. 

Please, everyone, wear a mask, stay at home this holiday season, and be safe.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I wish your stepsister a swift and decisive victory in her fight.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast