Dreamcast Resolution

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Kako
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Resolution

Post by Kako »

This is a technical question which doesn't apply only to the Dreamcast but any console. What prevents the Dreamcast from outputting a higher resolution than 640x480 if it is connected with VGA? Something I've always wondered.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Dreamcast Resolution

Post by BlueCrab »

It is actually possible to get higher resolutions than 640x480, although as far as I know Sega didn't officially support (or document for developers) any such higher resolutions.

There has been homebrew code in the past to get an 800x600 resolution on VGA, for instance.
Kako
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kako »

Wow, I had no idea. Do you know what the name of the tech demo is or who made it? I'd like to look into it. Thanks!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, I know that libdream came with an example program that was simply called "800x608" (KOS still has that example included with it, but the 800x608 mode has been disabled in KOS for a long while for some reason or another).

All it does is to set the resolution and draw a pattern on the screen, though -- nothing too terribly exciting.