Dreamcast BIOS Question

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
karcsi89
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast BIOS Question

Post by karcsi89 »

Hey all!

I am looking to flash some Dreamcasts here soon with the chips on the way, I just have a few questions I cant seem to really find answers to in one place, mainly the same article over and over...

I will have NTSC-U consoles with the piggy back method and switch but I haven't decided what bios to use.

I plan to swap the pal eject lid onto a US console and Modify the LED to be Blue with retail Blue BIOS animation with Region Free + VGA patch

From what i understand Dreamshell has bios options to choose from... I unfortunately do not want to have dream shell installed to the bios. and am not sure what the bios options are from the last time i checked. maybe the answer is already on the disc. i just wasnt sure if the patches were enabled.

The custom dreamshell i found will install a Region Free + VGA patched bios with the Devkit animation. Now i know you can change the color and this is my biggest problem... Id like to retain the VGA+Region Free Bios, but with the Original Animation and Also the Pal BLUE Color. the new animation would be cool to keep I like the style and color, but i DO NOT like the start up sound. The original had that echoing sound of a web-or cast feeling that i as a dc cant explain into words. so if its possible to edit the bios completely to change animation and sound separate or together would be a whole other ball park, custom boot animations would be cool. I will have to look into it further in the mean time.

Im not sure if there is a bios editor out there or a bios patcher I could use. or if someone on here may already done it and can lead me into the right direction on how to edit my own bios or insert the retail bios animation on the VGA+REGION FREE bios included on that custom dreamshell disc. that way i can test it on an emulator to see what looks best.

Thanks for reading yall
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Dreamcast BIOS Question

Post by BlueCrab »

I don't think the programming forum is really the right arena for this question... So... Off we go to a more appropriate place...
karcsi89
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by karcsi89 »

BlueCrab wrote:I don't think the programming forum is really the right arena for this question... So... Off we go to a more appropriate place...

I was unsure which area to post this in, I almost posted in a help section. The reason for posting in programing was because I figured someone with some hieghtened knowledge would have had previous experience with bios reprogramming/editing. since its not necessarily hardware. more software. and a programmer might know what to edit? =p

if you could kindly point me in the right direction id be happy to ask there.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

karcsi89 wrote:if you could kindly point me in the right direction id be happy to ask there.
I already moved it to the right part of the forum. :wink: