Finally bought back a Dreamcast

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
DoomDan II
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finally bought back a Dreamcast

Post by DoomDan II »

I had a Dreamcast all the way back in 2002 and 2003 when it had just stopped being supported by Sega and I took advantage of how cheap it had gotten from all the GameStops and friends I knew just trying to get rid of it for the PS2. Well, after getting more into that current generation of consoles (PS2, GCN, Xbox) I practically gave away my Dreamcast too. I finally got one back just recently at a flea market since I've noticed that they've been steadily getting more and more valuable each year, so thought I'd get my hands on one again before they become even more rarer (at least working ones) and before they become even more expensive. I also noticed that there are a couple of SD card projects going on for it which is pretty awesome, and I am very much interested in getting the GDEmu.

Anyways I bought the Dreamcast with 2 controllers (1 official, 1 third party), a VMU, an official Sega rumble pack and the cords for only $40 total. Was this a good price for it? I see them go for around $50-$60 or more on ebay. The Dreamcast I bought seems to have been well taken care of too, the GD-ROM drive works great, possibly even better than the one on my old Dreamcast I had over 10 years ago. I'm glad to finally own a Dreamcast again after all these years and will treat it as an antique now.

Well I'm rambling on and am just wondering if I got a good deal or not.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Finally bought back a Dreamcast

Post by cube_b3 »

I've not bought another Dreamcast in a long time and I heard they have gone back up so I supposed it is fine. Just surprising no games are included.
DoomDan II
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DoomDan II »

He offered games but I said I didn't need any, I won't explain why of course :oops:
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

$40 is good for a DC bundle like that.

The SD card projects/GDEmu/BIOS hacks have tempted me to turn 2 semi-working Dreamcasts (one has a dead drive, one has a dead motherboard) into a custom frankenstein machine of some sort.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

$40 is a good price for a working Dreamcast these days. It's nice to see our favourite system still going strong.

I, too, just got an incredible deal. The disc drive was alleged to be non-functional, but it worked when I tried it. I just greased the moving parts. The bundle came with a working system, two standard controllers, one VMU, RCA cable, no power cord, all for the mind-blowing price of... $15!!!!

I'm feeling good. I almost feel bad for not paying more, but it was one of those, "I don't really need to, but the price is too good" decisions.

I kept my first Dreamcast and will never give it up so it's nice to have an extra one. When they were really cheap, I bought three from an eBay lot with fried controller boards and fixed them but had to let them go during a move. I think I'll start collecting games and peripherals now; original games are getting expensive.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast