Will there be more NGDT games on Dreamcast?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Will there be more NGDT games on Dreamcast?

Post by cube_b3 »

NGDT is currently working on Kraut Buster which is a Metal Slug style run and gun game, additionally Kraut Buster is their first multiplayer game and it looks decent.

The last game they ported to Dreamcast was Neo XYX, I don't know if it did well or not but Play-Asia still has it in stock and given that NGDT has not done reprints in over a year I will assume that they are left over from the original pressing.

NGDT frequently stated the DC market was shrinking though they did break their internal Dreamcast records with GunLord, so the market is there it probably isn't as receptive to sh'mups as it used to be. They also got a lot of flack for Razion which we should all be aware off so I won't recap (don't want to start that discussion again), If you go to their website or their official store you will see they have removed Dreamcast altogether...
http://ngdevteam.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=29

So what do we think?

I personally don't care all that much then only game I enjoyed from them was Fast-Striker cause it was short and sweet and the difficulty settings not only changed the difficulty but also the overall presentation.

I have tried over and over to play Last Hope but it just feels like a shitty version of Dux and the visibility even with pink bullets is terrible. I haven't beaten that game to date.

Gun-Lord which is supposed to be their best game did not really work for me. The physics were floaty, the sound effects were atrocious (I mean the least they can do is take advantage of the Dreamcast sound) and lastly the absence of saving meant I am supposed to play all 10 levels or so from start to finish... Those levels were massive, you could spend half an hour exploring one stage unlike a shooter where you can beat the game in 30 - 60 minutes...

Lastly their games were super expensive coupled with foreign shipping fees... So even though I'd like to play Kraut Buster I would not pay 50$ plus shipping. Additionally the lack of Dreamcast optimization would probably mean it won't allow me to save and just like GunLord, they expect me to play the entire game from start to finish...

So that's what I think where do you guys stand?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Re: Will there be more NGDT games on Dreamcast?

Post by Nico0020 »

I have enjoyed all of their games. Some lack polish, but they are indie games so I can let i slide. I still haven't gotten very far in NEO XYS. I love shooters, but that game really needs a difficulty setting. It's punishment.

I will say I have to agree with the lack of saving in Gunlord is a huge oversight. The levels are massive and meant to be explored, which is really great, but I never feel the desire to explore when I am just trying to beat the game.

I know its not NGDEV, but Strumwind really set the bar high. I want to see more games from NGDev, but I really hope they can aspire to give what strumwind did (and other indie devs too.) I realize Dreamcast is just an afterthought for them, and its just a good way to make some extra cash since they are a NeoGeo developer.

In the end I'll take anything I can get. I hope we see Krautbuster make its way to DC.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah, I noticed that. They finally came out with another game that's not a space shooter, and no word of a Dreamcast port. I loved the Metal Slug series, and I'd definitely buy a DC port of this.

Their Dreamcast ports have always been kind of lazy, but I thought I recalled them only being $35 or $40. May seem like a lot in today's download environment, but that's been par for the course for a long time in terms of (physical) budget console releases. Never bothered me too much, as long as the game was good. Yes, I admittedly set a lower bar for indie games, partly because I like supporting small independent developers and partly just because I like seeing things come to DC in the first place. I'm kind of an easy sell on Dreamcast games, as long as it's not more than I'd pay for other games and it looks like something I'd enjoy.

Speaking of which: it's a shame there's no feasible way to export Dreamcast binaries from things like The Games Factory and RPG Maker. I've been playing this game Freedom Planet lately (it's part of the current Humble Bundle), and aside from a few common flaws (inane story, overly long cutscenes, though there is thankfully a mode that lets you skip them), it really feels like a Genesis-style game done by someone who both loves and understands good Genesis games. (It actually started off as a Sonic fan game IIRC, but has since morphed into something a bit more unique.) The level design and art are both quite good, and the gameplay is surprisingly fun, especially considering the fact that it's a TGF creation. I'd happily buy a Dreamcast version, even at a markup... but you can't make a Dreamcast program out of a TGF project.
gameblabla
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gameblabla »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Speaking of which: it's a shame there's no feasible way to export Dreamcast binaries from things like The Games Factory and RPG Maker. I've been playing this game Freedom Planet lately (it's part of the current Humble Bundle), and aside from a few common flaws (inane story, overly long cutscenes, though there is thankfully a mode that lets you skip them), it really feels like a Genesis-style game done by someone who both loves and understands good Genesis games. (It actually started off as a Sonic fan game IIRC, but has since morphed into something a bit more unique.) The level design and art are both quite good, and the gameplay is surprisingly fun, especially considering the fact that it's a TGF creation. I'd happily buy a Dreamcast version, even at a markup... but you can't make a Dreamcast program out of a TGF project.
Galaxy Trails could release Freedom planet on the Sega Dreamcast if they wanted to...
After all, they did hire developers for the Wii U version. (not supported by TGF)

The same reason why Clickteam do not support the Dreamcast is the same reason
why they do not support the GCW0, the Pandora or even the Ouya :
Lack of interest, politics, money...

Galaxy Trails (Freedom Planet) even refused to make an Android port for OUYA/Nvidia Shield,
even though it takes only one mouse click to make the port. (I'M NOT KIDDING)
But they just don't feel like doing it... ROFL

So if you want a Dreamcast version...
Well i guess its not going to happen because they just don't feel like they should do it.

As for RPG Maker games, if you are talking about RPG Maker 2000/2003 games,
then they can be played with EasyRPG.
A basic port of EasyRPG could be done for Sega Dreamcast but so far,
no one attempted it. (yet)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I wouldn't really call "hiring a development team to completely recreate the game engine from scratch on a niche platform that will maybe sell a few hundred or at absolute best a few thousand units" a serious alternative. I also understand the technical limitations (and lack of financial incentives, not to mention licensing gray areas) inherent in adding Dreamcast support to a platform like TGF; the platform is EXTREMELY limited compared to all of the other systems it supports (even mobile) with very little overhead for large resources or inefficient code.

I'm just sorry that there isn't something comparable for DC. I think we'd see a lot more homebrew if creation was more accessible. That's also a big part of why I like Falco's "Elysian Shadows" project: the promise to make the team's in-house dev tools available.