loading retail ntsc-j on ntsc-u system?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
vegeta4ss
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

loading retail ntsc-j on ntsc-u system?

Post by vegeta4ss »

I recently won a ntsc-j game on ebay (Marisola Stars 2 Chu!) but I cannot get it to load on my system, which is NTSC-U. I can't find any info online about it being a known issue that just doesn't work so I joined and posted here to see about some other options to get it running. I realize most of the forum is emulation based but I hope some of you still play with the actual system too that could maybe help me.

Utopia stops loading at ~95% but it does identify the disc and change the disc artwork while loading.

I see mentioned a "Action replay cdx demo" that is supposed to allow ntsc systems to load import titles but I can't find a good copy that works out on the web.

Are there any other options out there other than these two without doing a modchip or a bios region change?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: loading retail ntsc-j on ntsc-u system?

Post by BlueCrab »

You could try my PSO patcher, as it loads many import games just fine. Just ignore the messages about the game not being PSO, and it should "just work", as long as the game itself isn't odd in any way.

Here's the link: http://code.google.com/p/sylverant/downloads/list
vegeta4ss
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vegeta4ss »

thanks BlueCrab
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Even if there are light scratches on the game.
Utopia used to choke.

I just used Cd-X in cases like this.