Check Out My New EP :)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Check Out My New EP :)

Post by S. Thompson »

Free download from my site. Feedback is always appreciated.

- Fuzmeister
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Check Out My New EP :)

Post by politoe »

I've heard two songs from the first Blanket Statements and its pretty good. Has your own personal touch to it that makes it stand out from the rest. I enjoyed it and will check this one out
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I really like it, Steve. I think this is the best thing you've put out. Don't take that the wrong way - I don't mean that your original works aren't good, just that this feels like the first record where you found really your groove. Great work!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I enjoyed the last song the most, I really liked the combination of just your guitar and your voice. I guess you could say that sometimes less is more. :)

As for constructive criticism: I am not sure regarding the origins of the other songs, and whether they were big hits or not, but stuff like Paranoid shouldn't be covered by anyone. It's just too much of a trademark of its original artists/interprets.
Insane homebrew collector.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Christuserloeser wrote:I guess you could say that sometimes less is more. :)
Yeah, I think this is a good philosophy a lot of times in music. The last track might be my favorite, in fact, because of this. I nailed the guitar in a few takes and the same for vocals. It just feels really natural when I hear it again.
Christuserloeser wrote:As for constructive criticism: I am not sure regarding the origins of the other songs, and whether they were big hits or not, but stuff like Paranoid shouldn't be covered by anyone. It's just too much of a trademark of its original artists/interprets.
Yeah, I was kind of mixed on covering this, but my engineer/co-producer for the project suggested that it would be a good choice. As a big sabbath fan myself, I can't say I feel like I did it justice, but it ended up being unique in its own little way.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

- Fuzmeister
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'm somewhat of a Sabbath fan, and Paranoid is one of my favorite songs, but oddly enough, I never really paid attention to the lyrics much. I think your cover captures the emotion of the song much better than the original does. Excellent job.
It's thinking...
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Yeah, I'm a huge Sabbath fan, and I liked that cover. I don't think Paranoid has quite the status of uncoverability as a song like Stairway to Heaven. And honestly, I'm sick of the original version of Paranoid because it's the only Black Sabbath song that gets played on my local rock station, so a new take on the song is really refreshing.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'd just like you to know that this EP hasn't left my car's CD player for about a week now. It's really excellent.

Do you have higher quality files for Blanket Statement I? Two of the tracks are 128kbps.
It's thinking...
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

|darc| wrote:Do you have higher quality files for Blanket Statement I? Two of the tracks are 128kbps.
I may. I'll have to check. The thing is that, when I released the first acoustic covers EP, I just threw together a handful of acoustic tracks that were nothing more than demo quality. BSII was an intentional effort while the first one just sort of happened.

I'll check though and see if I have the original WAVs or higher quality MP3s.

Thanks for listening! That's great that you've been listening in your car!

- Fuzmeister
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I'll check it out. It'll take a while to download, so expect a review of sorts in a couple of days.

Edit: Well, my cheap wireless is feeling competent today, and I got'er downloaded.

Can't exactly say I'm feeling the Paranoid cover, to be honest. Considering the lyrics, I feel it was a little mellow coming from you... didn't really convey the spirit of the song. It's hard to explain.

I Will is fucking great. The tune is off a little bit with the group singing the "eyes" part. Wished it was longer. Otherwise, sounds great.

Deep Sea Diving Suit sounds good. The acoustic guitar is a little more prominent than your vocals however (maybe it's my speakers), and I find I'm struggling a little to hear what you're singing.

Don't Answer Me has great harmonics, in most parts. You're deep tone is a good contrast to the harmony in the background, but there are a few sections where the person with the higher tone seems to be off track, or cracking.

I Don't Want to Grow Up, right on.

Like darc, I think I may bump this in my car's stereo for a little while next to my old school rap and classic rock. Thanks for the tunes!
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Code-Red wrote:Like darc, I think I may bump this in my car's stereo for a little while next to my old school rap and classic rock. Thanks for the tunes!
Thanks for the feedback, Code-Red! I have loved hearing from everyone who listened to this EP.

As a pseudo side-note, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution, I will be releasing a new album April/May called Score. It will be made up of all original material and a bit different than material I previously released (as will all of my 2009 releases). It's going to feature a more electronic feel, but will retain the same feel of my other music.

Anywho...

- Fuzmeister
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Cool, keep us updated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

This is unrelated to the EP, but the first "single" from my upcoming album is now streamable in full on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/Steve+Thompson ... ?autostart

As always, feedback is appreciated. I don't expect it to be everyone's cup o' tea.

- Fuzmeister
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Intense. I'm not a big fan of guitar solos* but I really do like the song and its slowness and athmosphere. I'll definitely give it another listen tomorrow.

- You're playing an e-bow during the intro, right ? I love the sound of that thing, especially if you add some analogue delay.

Hm, what I don't really understand is why everyone seems to enjoy releasing albums so much. A friend of mine did recently release his first longplayer with his new band and there definitely were some pretty good songs on it, but I couldn't help but think that an EP would have been the better choice. I remember that when we used to play together, we did record quite a load of songs that easily could have filled an entire CD and that was what we planned to do, but in the review when I listen to these songs today, I do think that only a couple of songs really stand up against the test of time. So, yeah, I guess that's why I think one gotta record an album to release an EP.

*yes, there are exceptions: Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Nirvana
Insane homebrew collector.