Router problem?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Router problem?

Post by Thomas »

I bought a used WRT54G v.6 (boo) off ebay a few days ago. When I set it up the ssid name was khalil, so I reset the router and upgraded the firmware and changed the ssid to what I wanted and all the other security stuff I needed. The router worked great for about 2 days, now it disconnects me after like 10-15 mins of use and when I look at the router it seems to want to broadcast the ssid as khalil again. Is this router fucked up, or something weird since it should not even remember that network anymore. I also connected right into it, and the network showed up as khalil all the time, and I still go random disconnects.
Thomas
Thomas

Re: Router problem?

Post by Thomas »

Alright I got a new modem, cable company said the old one would unregister itself for no reason. Now during that time I bought a cheap belkin and am not too happy with it. My question is is the linksys ok to use? Since I bought it used it did not come with a weird virus or something and that is why the ssid keep changing to khalil? I just installed dd-wrt on it (which was a pain) so is it safe to use?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

It's worth a shot, as I doubt it will mess up your computer or anything, but I also doubt that your previous problem will disappear. My in-laws bought that same type of router and had a very similar problem where the router would suddenly just 'forget' some settings but not others. Linksys eventually told them to return the router and get a new one (since they only owned the thing for like 2 weeks). In short, you might have a dud router. But go ahead and try it, you won't be out anything.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I feel your pain Thomas. I've got a WRT54G too, and it's been nothing but nightmares trying to use it for networking.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I never had problems with my V1 at my parents. I've given up and throw it back on ebay, since it seems to sort of be working. I'll just have to take my V from my parents and switch it out with this cheap Belkin I bought.