Opera 9.5

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Maturion

Opera 9.5

Post by Maturion » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:38 am

Opera 9.5 was released a few days ago. Get it at http:// www.opera.com
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Opera 9.5

Post by Nico0020 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:02 am

just downloaded. gonna try it for the first time. faq, what does this have over like firefox 3.0
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Maturion

Post by Maturion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 am

Many (most?) things that are in Firefox were originally invented by Opera, like Tabbed Browsing. Opera is more secure than Firefox and has an integrated IRC and email client. It is faster than Firefox and in my opinion a lot easier to use and more customizeable.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:23 am

Also Firefox is higher on resources and sometimes it doesn't want to uninstall. I hate programs that do that.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:36 am

Maturion wrote:Many (most?) things that are in Firefox were originally invented by Opera, like Tabbed Browsing.
Britain invented the steel-railway. Pretty sure Japan does it better though.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:35 pm

I use Nexus. It was the first web browser, so it's gotta be better.
It's thinking...
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Very interesting.

FireFox is better.
Maturion

Post by Maturion » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Opera is better. True fact.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Opera is pretty good. I used it until Firefox 3 came out, and Opera Mini is just great.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Maturion wrote:Many (most?) things that are in Firefox were originally invented by Opera, like Tabbed Browsing. Opera is more secure than Firefox and has an integrated IRC and email client. It is faster than Firefox and in my opinion a lot easier to use and more customizeable.
I doubt that Opera is really more secure than any other browser, it's just that Opera has such a low percentage of the user base that there's no profit in exploiting it.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:00 pm

butters wrote:
Maturion wrote:Many (most?) things that are in Firefox were originally invented by Opera, like Tabbed Browsing. Opera is more secure than Firefox and has an integrated IRC and email client. It is faster than Firefox and in my opinion a lot easier to use and more customizeable.
I doubt that Opera is really more secure than any other browser, it's just that Opera has such a low percentage of the user base that there's no profit in exploiting it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Opera used to be the best alternative to Internet Explorer. Then Firefox got noticed.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 am

|darc| wrote:I use Nexus. It was the first web browser, so it's gotta be better.
Actually, many ideas that Nexus uses, such as the idea of running application software on a computer, were invented way before that.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Is Opera still ugly as sin?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Opera 9.5 seems pretty stable. What I like about Opera in general is that it remembers all opened tabs when closed, so you can start where you left. Dunno if Firefox 3.0 does that.
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 pm

MulletMan13 wrote:Is Opera still ugly as sin?
Yes, and it's the biggest thing that keeps it from being my browser. Opera and Firefox look like shit on Mac, Safari looks like shit on Windows. So I have to use Firefox on Windows and Safari on Mac.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 am

Christuserloeser wrote:Opera 9.5 seems pretty stable. What I like about Opera in general is that it remembers all opened tabs when closed, so you can start where you left. Dunno if Firefox 3.0 does that.
If you have multiple tabs open, it asks whether you want to save them (at least in the Ubuntu packages; not sure whether this is the default in official ones). You can also set your home page to a list of sites that will open in tabs, bookmark all tabs, and open all items in a bookmark folder in tabs.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:55 am

Maturion wrote:Many (most?) things that are in Firefox were originally invented by Opera, like Tabbed Browsing.
This one again... :roll:

Tabbed browsing in Opera: January 2003 (Opera 7)
Tabbed browsing in Mozilla: October 2001 (Mozilla 0.9.x somewhere)
Tabbed browsing in Mozilla using an extension: April 2001 (via Multizilla)
Tabbed browsing in NetCaptor: 1998

Admittedly:

MDI in Opera: 1996 (Opera 2)

MDI isn't really the same thing though - until Opera 7, there was no easy way to see what pages were open, or to switch between them. Completely different UI design. It's kind of half way there, but it's a feature without any clear use that requires some fiddling to make it do anything useful. Mozilla's (and later Firefox's) tabbed browser UI was derived from NetCaptor, not Opera - much simpler, and geared towards a single, obvious job.
MulletMan13 wrote:Is Opera still ugly as sin?
Yep. More so, in fact - they've jumped on the "let's make it look like Vista" bandwagon, and gone for the thick, black toolbars with that stupid looking glass reflection effect. The Mac version is, at least, spared that. It's dark grey instead.

At least you can still turn the theme off. Then you only have to put up with gray and boxy.
Maturion

Post by Maturion » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:55 am

Opera and Firefox look like shit on Mac, Safari looks like shit on Windows. So I have to use Firefox on Windows and Safari on Mac.
Almost all browsers look like shit on openSUSE....
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm

BlackAura wrote:Tabbed browsing in NetCaptor: 1998
That was the name of that browser! I had been trying to remember some of the lesser-known browsers I had used a lot in my early days on the internet, spending all my time at Download.com downloading whatever random shit I could.

I've been using Firefox as my dedicated browser since it was Phoenix (and then Firebird), but before that, I used Opera quite loyally unless the page required Internet Explorer to render properly (and back then, way more pages had trouble rendering in anything but Internet Explorer than do now). I had dialup back then, and Opera was absolutely great because I could easily do things like disable image loading to make webpages go much faster, not to mention that Opera was by far the fastest rendering browser at the time.

But it's different now, I have enough processing power and a fast enough connection where rendering speed isn't that big of a deal, so I opt for the cleanest interface that integrates with my system, and that's Firefox or Safari.

The other thing that bothers me about Opera is its bloat. They need to strictly focus on web browsing. Instead, the browser has crap like an IRC client and BitTorrent client built in. There are other free applications that do these things much better, why not quit with the bloat, please?
It's thinking...