OS X Killed my external drive

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Wagh
Wagh
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OS X Killed my external drive

Post by Wagh »

Last night I was watching What About Bob off of my external 400gb drive. Hooked up over firewire. Everything was fine no problems. This morning I go to play some music off the drive and it's gone. I check the cables, plug into different spots. OS X gives me an error saying this volume cannot be read. Wtf. I bring the drive to my PC. Which says the drive is there. The partition is gone. Acronis Disk Director was able to tell me it still had a fat32 file system. I am currently using some recovery tools but I don't know how successful that'll be. I just lost all my music it looks like. Someone at apple with fucking pay for this.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: OS X Killed my external drive

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:Last night I was watching What About Bob off of my external 400gb drive. Hooked up over firewire. Everything was fine no problems. This morning I go to play some music off the drive and it's gone. I check the cables, plug into different spots. OS X gives me an error saying this volume cannot be read. Wtf. I bring the drive to my PC. Which says the drive is there. The partition is gone. Acronis Disk Director was able to tell me it still had a fat32 file system. I am currently using some recovery tools but I don't know how successful that'll be. I just lost all my music it looks like. Someone at apple with fucking pay for this.
How do you know OS X had anything to do with it? If this is a hardware failure, which is most likely, then it had nothing to do with OS X. Stuff like this has happened to me on Windows several times. You might want to look at the first link, because I got symptoms that are like you are talking about.
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

|darc| wrote:How do you know OS X had anything to do with it?
Well, it'd been running fine on a windows machine for the past year. I just decided to move it to this machine a few days ago. I'm assuming it's the problem. I'm in the middle of fixing the drive now but it's gonna take ages.
Giving H-E-A-D head
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

you don't have any of it backed up elsewhere ?
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

pavelbure wrote:you don't have any of it backed up elsewhere ?

It was my backup drive.

Fucking shit. So far looks like all I get out of 400gb of backup is 8gb of music. Thanks Apple.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

So i calmed down a bit and took another look at it. I'm using the File Scavenger Roofus mentioned in your post darc. Seems to be recovering a decent amount of my stuff. I'm still convinced it was OS X's fault. My buddy says it's because pre Leopard fat32 shit is wack. I don't know if thats true though.
Giving H-E-A-D head
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Wagh wrote:My buddy says it's because pre Leopard fat32 shit is wack. I don't know if thats true though.
No, it isn't. FAT32 is just about the simplest filesystem possible - it's easy to get right in a filesystem driver, but it offers no protection against things like power failure, accidental disconnects, or just about anything else. There's nothing any OS can do about it. On an external drive, FAT32 is almost certainly going to fail eventually, regardless of which OS you're using.

Besides, that wouldn't explain the partition apparently being missing. Hardware failure is far more likely. I certainly wouldn't trust that drive again.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I've had the same shit happen before but with Windows in place of your OSX place. Analyzed it with DiskWarrior, and it turns out the hard drive was failing, and it just happened to be a coincidence.

The problem with external drives is not if they are going to fail... it's when they are going to fail :-\
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

I'll tell you I once had an issue where my Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB external HD stopped working (the blue power light came up but my computer refused to recognize the hard drive). I took it to wherever I could plus called Maxtor customer support, but no one could help me. After opening it myself, since it was no longer under warranty, it turned out that a connector inside the external HD case blew out. Since the actual drive was just an (E)IDE hard drive (I didn't know to be honest), I simply connected it as a secondary internal hard drive and everything was still there!

I dunno how things may be in your case, but it's just something to remember.