What IDE (or text editor) do you use for programming?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What IDE (or text editor) do you use for programming?

Post by JS Lemming »

Just curious what you guys think is the best... I'll probably use one of the default ones that comes with Ubuntu untill I hear of a better one (if there are better ones).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Depends on what I'm doing.

For web work (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and all that stuff), I usually use Quanta Plus. Great bit of software, especially the way it can use KDE's KIOslaves to allow you to transparently edit files sitting on a web server via FTP, SSH, Webdav, or whatever.

For developing native Linux C/C++ apps, I sometimes use KDevelop. I don't like the automake system, which KDevelop uses to actually build applications, but all Linux IDEs use that. You can at least provide your own Makefile if you'd like, although doing so renders half of the GUI useless.

For developing non-native C/C++ apps (Dreamcast stuff, stuff that's supposed to work on Windows, and so on), or in languages not supported by KDevelop, I usually use Kate. Same text editor component as KDevelop, but the program is much faster and lighter.

Then again, I'm running Kubuntu. Those apps would all stick out like a sore thumb on a Gnome desktop.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Usually BlueJ because most of the stuff I do is for my Java CS class, and the class teaches java.

On occasion I will use NetBeans, but only in Windows because it is such a large download that I would rather not do dependencies for.

I second BlackAura's suggestion of Quanta Plus. I love instant editing of stuff it allows me to do. Otherwise, updating a simple web page is a matter of editing the source, uploading via ftp, and opening with the browser. That is all made a breeze with Quanta.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

BlackAura wrote: For developing non-native C/C++ apps (Dreamcast stuff, stuff that's supposed to work on Windows, and so on), or in languages not supported by KDevelop, I usually use Kate. Same text editor component as KDevelop, but the program is much faster and lighter.
Same here.
Except the bit about KDevelop, I don't use that at all.
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I usually use Emacs, but I'm trying to pick up the necessary habits to use Acme/Wily because I love the window management model and the simplicity+power of tag commands.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

toastman wrote:Same here.
Except the bit about KDevelop, I don't use that at all.
Thinking about it, I've used it... twice. Which is still more than I've used any other Linux IDE.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

Anjuta is working pretty fine for me. Haven't explored it too much yet though.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

For HTML editing I use Quanta.

For programming I use kdevelop, but I only use it as an editor, so I may as well use kate.

I do use automake though, I can't imagine writing portable software without it.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle