Old news: Blueray disc format finalized

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Old news: Blueray disc format finalized

Post by LyingWake »

I quote:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced that the format specification is complete and that licensing is ready to begin for BD-ROM, BD-R and BD-RE. The completion of the specification now enables content providers and manufacturers to begin the process of producing Blu-ray products for a wide variety of uses. "We are very pleased to announce this very important milestone for the Blu-ray Disc format," said Victor Matsuda, global chairman, Blu-ray Disc Association Promotions Committee. "The completion of these specifications is an important step in establishing Blu-ray Disc as the premiere next-generation optical disc format and provides manufacturers with the information they need to launch products beginning this Spring."

Check out the entire article over here.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

With a disc that can hold the amount of information Blu-Ray is supposed to, how sensitive will the discs be to surface scratches?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

HomerCIDAL wrote:With a disc that can hold the amount of information Blu-Ray is supposed to, how sensitive will the discs be to surface scratches?
All discs will feature a special coating developed by TDK, which will allow them to safely withstand an attack with a screwdriver. It will also allow you to safely clean discs using only a tissue. TDK already make coated DVD-RWs, and I was safely able to run my keys along them without making a scratch.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Hold onto your DVDs, everybody. I'm predicting that the era of movie/data storage we're in now will be the best one for a long time. DVDs have what I think to be the most invasive form of DRM that can be applied without too much inconvience to the user (even the forced warning at the beginning are a bit too much.)
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Are these the size of regular DVD's or smaller? Id kill too have mini disc sized storage medium like this for music.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

az_bont wrote:
HomerCIDAL wrote:With a disc that can hold the amount of information Blu-Ray is supposed to, how sensitive will the discs be to surface scratches?
All discs will feature a special coating developed by TDK, which will allow them to safely withstand an attack with a screwdriver.
But will they withstand the PS3 treatment? that is the question :lol:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

404NotFound wrote:Hold onto your DVDs, everybody. I'm predicting that the era of movie/data storage we're in now will be the best one for a long time. DVDs have what I think to be the most invasive form of DRM that can be applied without too much inconvience to the user (even the forced warning at the beginning are a bit too much.)
I totally agree.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

404NotFound wrote:Hold onto your DVDs, everybody. I'm predicting that the era of movie/data storage we're in now will be the best one for a long time. DVDs have what I think to be the most invasive form of DRM that can be applied without too much inconvience to the user (even the forced warning at the beginning are a bit too much.)
Why would I upgrade to Bluray/HDDVD? I will not upgrade ANY movies in my collection. Well, maybe a couple. Otherwise, DVDs still look very good. I mean, I didn't even update the laserdiscs I own, no way I will too bluray...

BTW, I've seen Chinese DVD players that let you skip ANYTHING. Does anyone have one of those? Just saw them in a store once, in Chinatown.

Anyone know what kind of DRM/forced viewing Bluray will have? The forced stuff on some DVDs is very irritating - I don't like having that kind of thing taken out of my control.

I rented a DVD a while ago that forced you to watch THREE COMPLETE TRAILERS. TEN MINUTES TOTAL! And they were HORRIBLe movies.. And get this, there was a broken button on the menu and that locked the player and made us watch it again. :evil:
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I have a really old Pioneer DVD player that can skip anything. Apparently, shortly after releasing the player, the company got sued for overriding those controls and they were forced to pull the old player and release a new one. I got the one right before the pull, and I hope this player lasts me forever.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

Robocop is going to be on Blu-Ray, yay.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

melancholy wrote:I have a really old Pioneer DVD player that can skip anything. Apparently, shortly after releasing the player, the company got sued for overriding those controls and they were forced to pull the old player and release a new one. I got the one right before the pull, and I hope this player lasts me forever.
My Sony is the same way :-) Personally I hate them, I pay 20 dollars to own a movie, I don't want to be advertised to. Maybe if they had a cheaper version of the movie with all the extras, but forced comercials It would be worth it.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Personally I hate them, I pay 20 dollars to own a movie, I don't want to be advertised to
That's what I never got about DVDs if you buy them, why put the trailers on them? Surely, as you said, have a cheaper one with commercials would be fine. Or even have 2 different types, we have the rental DVDs you see in places like Blockbuster and have proper retail ones you buy.

The same thing pissed me off about cable. Basically the money you are paying each month pays for the television you watch. In the beginning when I first got cable there were very few, if any, commercials at all. Towards about 2000 or so when I still had cable the commercials were everywhere. If it were free to air network televsion then I see the need for commercials, but for something you pay for like cable, or in the case of previous comments on DVDs with trailers, it's unnecessary. :evil:

[/offtopic]
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

az_bont wrote:
All discs will feature a special coating developed by TDK, which will allow them to safely withstand an attack with a screwdriver. It will also allow you to safely clean discs using only a tissue. TDK already make coated DVD-RWs, and I was safely able to run my keys along them without making a scratch.
What I'm thinking is that with the data being stored in much closer intervals than on DVDs, a small scratch could refract the laser just enough to ruin the process of reading the data. DVDs were more sensitive than CD's because of this so it makes sense that Blu-Ray may be even more sensitive to smaller scratches.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

On CDs and DVDs a small scratch probably ruins the data, but on data discs the data isn't stored linearly, it's spread out in some pattern across the entire disc for error correction. A CD is actually 800MB (i think) but 100MB of that is statistical redundancy.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Skynet wrote:
Personally I hate them, I pay 20 dollars to own a movie, I don't want to be advertised to
That's what I never got about DVDs if you buy them, why put the trailers on them? Surely, as you said, have a cheaper one with commercials would be fine. Or even have 2 different types, we have the rental DVDs you see in places like Blockbuster and have proper retail ones you buy.

The same thing pissed me off about cable. Basically the money you are paying each month pays for the television you watch. In the beginning when I first got cable there were very few, if any, commercials at all. Towards about 2000 or so when I still had cable the commercials were everywhere. If it were free to air network televsion then I see the need for commercials, but for something you pay for like cable, or in the case of previous comments on DVDs with trailers, it's unnecessary. :evil:

[/offtopic]
From what I recall, cable television and network TV have always had roughly the same amount of commercials. BOTH have increased by several minutes per hour since the 80s.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Lartrak wrote:
Skynet wrote:

[/offtopic]
From what I recall, cable television and network TV have always had roughly the same amount of commercials. BOTH have increased by several minutes per hour since the 80s.
Dunno how commercials work for cable in the states, but here it started of as just a few every so often to advertise for either other cable channels, or shows for that channel you're watching. The longer I had cable the more commercials started popping up. Then the kind you see on network television popped up too. For example, a mcdonalds commercial. It was advertising something you should buy which to me shouldn't be allowed as you are paying for the service, so why be forced to watch commercials telling you to buy more stuff?
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

404NotFound wrote:On CDs and DVDs a small scratch probably ruins the data, but on data discs the data isn't stored linearly.
Data CD's/DVDs essentially store data in the same way that CDDA's and DVD-Video's store data.

One thing I've noticed is that DVD-Rs often have sandwich layers of plastic protecting the data layer. Good idea, nevertheless my early DVD-Rs are starting to screw up these days.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

Lartrak wrote:
Skynet wrote:

[/offtopic]
my intro to mass communication teacher was saying the other day that some stations will actually speed up the shows just a tad to allow more commercials to be aired
this is my signature
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
Skynet wrote:

[/offtopic]
my intro to mass communication teacher was saying the other day that some stations will actually speed up the shows just a tad to allow more commercials to be aired
Wouldn't suprise me. Fox sped up the first release of Star Wars on LD to get it to fit on a single disc. People got REALLY pissed though, so they redid it soon after.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
Skynet wrote:

[/offtopic]
How about a network for nothing but comercials. Then people could get pissed about their comercials being interupted by a show.