Scientists get the Message: U.S. is a Godly nation

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Scientists get the Message: U.S. is a Godly nation

Post by Roofus »

A bitter debate about how to teach evolution in U.S. high schools is prompting a crisis of confidence among scientists, and some senior academics warn that science itself is under assault.

In the past month, the interim president of Cornell University and the dean of the Stanford University School of Medicine have both spoken on this theme, warning in dramatic terms of the long-term consequences.

"Among the most significant forces is the rising tide of anti-science sentiment that seems to have its nucleus in Washington but which extends throughout the nation," said Stanford's Philip Pizzo in a letter posted on the school Web site on Oct. 3.

Cornell acting President Hunter Rawlings, in his "state of the university" address last week, spoke about the challenge to science represented by "intelligent design" which holds that the theory of evolution accepted by the vast majority of scientists is fatally flawed.

Rawlings said the dispute was widening political, social, religious and philosophical rifts in U.S. society. "When ideological division replaces informed exchange, dogma is the result and education suffers," he said.

Adherents of intelligent design argue that certain forms in nature are too complex to have evolved through natural selection and must have been created by a "designer," who could but does not have to be identified as God.

Link

It's well known that scientists pose a greater threat to the US than gay marriage, welfare and Islamism combined.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I just don't get the logic behind intelligent design.

Something being incredibly complex (nature, or existence itself as examples) seems to be evidence of not being created by a conscious being to me.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Plus following the logic of intelligent design that anything complex needs a designer. A designer that would no doubt have to be complex itself, and would thus need a designer as nothing of that sort could spring forth without provocation.
No signature.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Unless they were always present, unchanging, and will continue to be present for an infinite amount of universes. ie. God.

:roll:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Savant wrote:Unless they were always present, unchanging, and will continue to be present for an infinite amount of universes. ie. God.

I hope that's sarcasm. Either it is sarcasm or a hopelessly retarded and regurgitated cop-out by Christians.
It's thinking...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Sarcasm. I ain't stupid. Plus, I am an athiest, so that by itslef has got to count for something.

Where would the world be if there was someone as ignorant as that posting on an internet forum?

EDIT: Posted the word me instead of that, lol.
Last edited by Sir Savant on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Deleted
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I dont understand much about energy, but that is the part that always intrigued me. Was there a universe before our universe that collapsed and that provoked another expansion? Since energy cannot be created, was that the source of our universe? Does time loop in on itself, or are there multiple dimensions, and one banged into ours, causing the big bang (or whatever was the birth of our universe)?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Just do it it the way we do in the UK:

- In cumpulsory Science class you are taught all about evolution, the universe, the big bang theory etc.

- In cumpulsory Religous Studies class, you are taught all about the world's major religions and their specific beliefs and customs.

- You are then left to make your own mind up.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

That's the thing though. Religion doesn't need to be taught AT ALL.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Well, we're forced to do Religeous Studies class so we understand other cultures in our society better. Something politically correct like that
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Those must be great to make you respect other cultures and beliefs. But if you actually want to understand them, you need to read something that destroys such respect: V. S. Naipaul, Ayn Rand, Robert Ingersoll, Richard Dawkins...
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Wagh wrote:That's the thing though. Religion doesn't need to be taught AT ALL.
i'd disagree, lack of understanding only leads to a disjointed society where nobody trusts anybody because they're different and that can only lead to trouble.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The job of a school is to educate; anyone who doesn't understand the central ideas of the world's largest religions is certainly a person I would call ignorant and uneducated. I think religion should be taught in school through each religion's literature ("World Literature" as I had in my school).
It's thinking...
UndeadDC
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by UndeadDC »

I think while in school or anywhere else people should just keep their religions to themselves.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Teaching religion in school as fact, I disagree with.
Teaching religion in schools as a means of educating people about them so they can underatand other opinions and beliefs, I agree with.

If you dont understand the teachings of a religion then I dont believe you have a right to say "its wrong" or "its BS" because you have no idea what the actual belief is. There is a lot more to religion than just believing in a God.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Stormwatch wrote:Those must be great to make you respect other cultures and beliefs. But if you actually want to understand them, you need to read something that destroys such respect: V. S. Naipaul, Ayn Rand, Robert Ingersoll, Richard Dawkins...

I've read quite a bit of Dawkins & it hasn't destroyed my respect for other cultures & beliefs.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

"Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical, but then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of shit, I am never reading again." - Officer Barbrady
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

not just souLLy now wrote:
i'd disagree, lack of understanding only leads to a disjointed society where nobody trusts anybody because they're different and that can only lead to trouble.
If a person wants to educate the themselves about different religions they can go to their place of worship and ask. It is not up to a public school to teach this. Forcing someone to culturally receptive when they arnt just isn't going to happen.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:
If a person wants to educate the themselves about different religions they can go to their place of worship and ask. It is not up to a public school to teach this. Forcing someone to culturally receptive when they arnt just isn't going to happen.
You dont force people to be culturally receptive, you teach them to be. You may as well say Schools shouldnt teach Math because forcing somebody to be good with numbers isn't going to happen.
People will be much more open to other cultures if they actually know what they are about instead of just making arrogant assumptions.
Aditionally, I think it is the duty of public school's to teach people things like this, considering how religion is such an integral part of society.

Being mindful of other cultures comes through teaching, it isn't a built in personality trait that cant be changed.