New Nintendo controller revealed==its a remote!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pyrosurfer »

But in many games I imagine it would be good to have full control over both. You could make an first person style fencing game that uses the analog to move and the remote to slash.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

lackofsense wrote:the brittish
who are they?
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

This controller will be phased out fast. The only company that will make use of its features will be nintendo and maybe sega
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

All that has to happen for it to succeed is for people to get behind it.

Buy it at launch. Support the games that make creative use of the new controller.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

SuperMegatron wrote:This controller will be phased out fast. The only company that will make use of its features will be nintendo and maybe sega
"I don't believe you ...
... you're a liar!"

Bob Dylan. 1966, shortly after being called Judas for playing electric guitar.

Not really relevant. Except to me.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Alright you may say "Told you so" but I watched the video and seen what it could do, I became psyched now i may buy a rev now. I am just worried about 2 things instead of 10 things, the 2 are 1: your arms would end up getting tired and 2 : there is hardly any buttons on the controller, how can you use different options in a game like different techniques like HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU PLAY A MARIO GAME WITH THE CONTROLLER, see where I am getting at. I am sure these things will be eased, I am such a fool for dogging Nintendo, I love them to death and I seen the damn thing and flipped I should have did research before commenting.

The new Innovation seems really have the Fans and some people going Ape about it, that is nice considering nintendo wants to do something new and fresh in the gaming world because I don't know about you guys but I was getting really bored really quick with games just being 3d with the same ol crap. I mean "WHEEEE MGS 4 LOOKS GOOD BUT PLAYS THE SAME" I would fall asleep playing anygame now adays, With the rev doing something unique from a stand point I have to stand in awe at what nintendo is doing, For those who read my previous post and feel the need to put me down, go for it, I deserve it for not giving nintendo a chance being the fan I am.

"To think that I could not see beyond the veil of reality, I was once a fool." Alexia Roivas Eternal Darkness.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

there is hardly any buttons on the controller, how can you use different options in a game like different techniques like HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU PLAY A MARIO GAME WITH THE CONTROLLER
That's what the add-ons are for. I think the add-on idea is awesome, but at the same time it reminds me of this VGcats comic. I can see the cost out weighing the practicallity of it. *IF* a few add-ons came standard with the Revolution then maybe... but from what I read/saw it will only come as remote and anologue stick. :|
I don't particularly wanna fork over an extra $30* (minimum) for each add-on for just 1 control pad. What if I wanna play 2 player or something? I can see this hurting my wallet a fair bit. But at the same time I want to back it 100% as it seems like a fantastic idea!

*This is just my speculation on current control pad prices. All current gen consoles control pads are in the $50AU mark, and I can see any additions to the Revolution control pad being atleast half the cost of a current gen control pad.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU PLAY A MARIO GAME WITH THE CONTROLLER
Mario games (in fact, most 3D platform games) don't actually need anywhere near as many buttons as they use. The Revolution controller has two if you're using the pointer only, and four if you're using the extra analog stick attachment (which may end up coming as standard with the console). I think the most any Mario game has actually needed is three buttons.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I think the most any Mario game has actually needed is three buttons.
Jump, punch... camera movement of some sort... That's about right actually. Can't quite remember how many buttons Sunshine used though. Oh, but that's "not a real mario game" :roll: :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Can't quite remember how many buttons Sunshine used though
Probably the most complex of any Mario game. Jump (A), action (B), first person viewpoint (Y), toggle FLUDD modes (X), center camera (L), fire FLUDD (R), map (Z), and pause (start).

Of those, I would consider three to be controls that you absolutely need access to at all times - Jump, action, and fire.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

(edit: D'oh! posted instead of editing)
Last edited by Ex-Cyber on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

your arms would end up getting tired
Put your elbow (maybe even your wrist if the calibration is good enough) on an armrest or something. You don't really need your upper arm to point.
there is hardly any buttons
Maybe they'll try integrating gestures, using those for non-crucial functions? I'm sure DS is building a foundation for this at some level...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I am just saying like game that are intensive that may require a lot of buttons. I could see mario playable with the analong but it would be "wierd" because I am used to holding the controller in one piece instead of two but It may just work though. I could see my arms getting tired on a long gaming session especially if it was a intense boss batttle In Metroid Prime 3. It would be sweet if it has at least two more buttons but I am sure nintendo thought on this Controller so I am sure it'll be fun to play games and give use gamers that new feeling we have been wanting which I last got with a N64 because it was my first "3D" system, now I am pretty bored with 3d, I am hoping nintendo can change my mind.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I am just saying like game that are intensive that may require a lot of buttons. I could see mario playable with the analong but it would be "wierd" because I am used to holding the controller in one piece instead of two but It may just work though. I could see my arms getting tired on a long gaming session especially if it was a intense boss batttle In Metroid Prime 3. It would be sweet if it has at least two more buttons but I am sure nintendo thought on this Controller so I am sure it'll be fun to play games and give use gamers that new feeling we have been wanting which I last got with a N64 because it was my first "3D" system, now I am pretty bored with 3d, I am hoping nintendo can change my mind.
Either way, the Cube controller is still an option - IMO, it still has the best left analog stick of any controller out, and the buttons are fine for platformers.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Has it even been confirmed that the Cube controller will work with Rev titles? I'm not being a smartass either. Maybe I just missed that piece of info?
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Either way, the Cube controller is still an option - IMO, it still has the best left analog stick of any controller out, and the buttons are fine for platformers.
Agreed, I love the stick, but hate the DPad. I don't see what's wrong with the face buttons though, everyone bitches about them. The Z button still has me puzzled, though. :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I find the Face buttons unique it has a good feel, I can play any fighter with it too. My least fav controls are Dual shock,3DO,Jaguar.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Number Six wrote:Has it even been confirmed that the Cube controller will work with Rev titles? I'm not being a smartass either. Maybe I just missed that piece of info?
I thought it was supposed to be backward compatable. Maybe i misheard?
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

What I mean is: I know the Rev has GCN controller ports and mem. card slots because it will play the tiny GCN discs. Isn't that all they'll be used for? Possibly the downloaded titles also, I'm sure... But will games developed specifically for the Rev even be able to use a GCN controller? Wouldn't that completely go against Nintendo's decision to have wacky, 3D-motion-sensing controllers in the first place? And thus not much of a "revolution"?
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Number Six wrote:What I mean is: I know the Rev has GCN controller ports and mem. card slots because it will play the tiny GCN discs. Isn't that all they'll be used for? Possibly the downloaded titles also, I'm sure... But will games developed specifically for the Rev even be able to use a GCN controller? Wouldn't that completely go against Nintendo's decision to have wacky, 3D-motion-sensing controllers in the first place? And thus not much of a "revolution"?
This has not been clarified yet. It will allow Gamecube controllers, but there is no word on if they will work with Revolution games, although I really cannot see why they wouldn't if a developer wanted to use them instead of the new controller. However, the fact that having Gamecube controllers as an alternative does not counter the 'remote'. All it willl do is pretty much allow direct ports to the Gamecube from other consoles.