My game: World War II Wings (Update - Version 02.9)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

My game: World War II Wings (Update - Version 02.9)

Post by I.M. Weasel »

The game i've been working on on-and-off for the past few years is available for download on my section of the site here. World War II Wings. Its made for x86 windows os, but it might run on an emulated windows.

The new version (Version 029) is available for download now. The link to the previous version has been removed.

http://gbadcdev.dcemulation.org/games.html

Updates

*All missions: Added new enemies and scenery, tweaked mission difficulty
*Added new enemy formations and paths
*Added new sprite : farmers field
*Factory & Building sprites are redone

*Added warning about Windows 8 crashes to F1 Help
*Lowered the volume of the 'explosion' sound
*Removed player 'shot' sound
*Enemy formaion code leaning & fixing
*Added visual cue to hitting AA guns
*Small tweaks to startup screen, F1 Help
*Clarified F1 Help section
*Fixed shrapnel description
*Reimaged plane/sidearm selection screen
*Improved 'Rising Smoke; animation

Please try it and bring your thoughts to the table.

:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I have made a game... World War II Wings

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Classic music, eh?

a wild fiddler appeared!

Might take me a bit of time to get anything finished because I'm getting married next month, but give me the parameters and I'll see what I can whip up.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I just tried it on Linux under wine and I like how it looks! (even if you hate isometric graphics). No sounds though, maybe using native directsound dlls fixes it.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Classic music, eh?

a wild fiddler appeared!

Might take me a bit of time to get anything finished because I'm getting married next month, but give me the parameters and I'll see what I can whip up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-iO9AD-IU <----- I want music like dis. Classic. Mainly, I like "8bit" versions of classical music, the 1st song in the 1943 is a great example of this.

Juan wrote:I just tried it on Linux under wine and I like how it looks! (even if you hate isometric graphics). No sounds though, maybe using native directsound dlls fixes it.
I don't hate the graphics themselves, just the fact that for me, they are incredibly hard to do. Im caught between having an 8bit look and having a 16bit look with all the sprites. I used the "game maker" program for the whole thing, and dll usage is only available in the registered version. But im not sure if the sounds would even work with the registered versions dll's via Wine.

Thanks to both you guys for playing it.

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I actually had a couple of ideas on the way to work this morning--one for a main title theme, and one for the beginnings of some gameplay bgm. I'll flesh them out and see if I can spin out a draft version of each... probably not this weekend, but before the end of the month for sure, to see if they fit what you have in mind.

How many unique pieces are you looking for overall, and what situations should they fit? (e.g., 1 title theme, 5 level bgm, 1 credits theme, 1 victory riff, 1 level complete riff, 1 death riff)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I.M. Weasel wrote:I used the "game maker" program for the whole thing, and dll usage is only available in the registered version. But im not sure if the sounds would even work with the registered versions dll's via Wine.
I suppose that means no Dreamcast version? :(

I do so miss hearing my music come out of the Dreamcast. I can't find any of the projects I scored any more... the only three I remember are an early build of the game that would eventually become Copper Swapper, one of the early builds of Grizzlies, and BurgerDC. (By an absolute fluke I still have the BurgerDC music, but I haven't played the game in years.) I feel like there are a couple more, but they may have been things that never made it out the gate.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

working on a new version right now... more difficulty, bug fixes, more explanations, etc...
DaMadFiddler wrote:I actually had a couple of ideas on the way to work this morning--one for a main title theme, and one for the beginnings of some gameplay bgm. I'll flesh them out and see if I can spin out a draft version of each... probably not this weekend, but before the end of the month for sure, to see if they fit what you have in mind.

How many unique pieces are you looking for overall, and what situations should they fit? (e.g., 1 title theme, 5 level bgm, 1 credits theme, 1 victory riff, 1 level complete riff, 1 death riff)
I don't care how basic it is, as long as its 8bit ish and actually has a rhythm. It should be (1 title theme -30 second loop, 3-4 level themes, 1 menu select background music).
DaMadFiddler wrote:
I.M. Weasel wrote:I used the "game maker" program for the whole thing, and dll usage is only available in the registered version. But im not sure if the sounds would even work with the registered versions dll's via Wine.

I suppose that means no Dreamcast version? :(

I do so miss hearing my music come out of the Dreamcast. I can't find any of the projects I scored any more... the only three I remember are an early build of the game that would eventually become Copper Swapper, one of the early builds of Grizzlies, and BurgerDC. (By an absolute fluke I still have the BurgerDC music, but I haven't played the game in years.) I feel like there are a couple more, but they may have been things that never made it out the gate.

GM uses a scripting psuedo code type language, but I choose it becuase of simplicity compared to C or OOP language. There would be a few straight coding issues converting to a lower level languages, mainly of all, a good collision coding system. There would be another level of issues with porting it do DC. But actually this game im thinking of simplifying and putting it on iOS or Android. So, if thats done, a DC version would/could be automatically possible.

Excuse my wirting, had a few tonight

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

A new update is available. Check the first post.

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: My game: World War II Wings (Update!)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

All right... wedding's in a few weeks, so I have to dig my mics out anyway to do an equipment check next weekend. I think I'll kill two birds with one stone and use that same opportunity to lay down a couple of tracks for this.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

That would be more than awesome. Mics? You gonna lay out down a sweet SMB water level be-box for my missions? :lol:

Also, main post update.

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Just found another huge bug - releasing an updated version today that fixes that bug..

fucking huge.. the enemy boss ship at the end of mission 3 would never stop moving - therefore it would move out of screen and you would never be able to kill it and end the level.

Also 4 or 5 other updates included, and like 3 more bug fixes.

Darc,bluecrab,calavera, anyone; will anyone else please try this game out ?

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Re: My game: World War II Wings (Update - Version 02.8)

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Bump for another update. (version 02.8 )

Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I have tested the previous version. This does have potential but needs some work.

- The player's firing sound needs replacing (sounds like a pistol when it should be more like a continuous rapid fire laser gun, no sound effect would be better than a bad sound effect)
- The player's shots are too small to hit your enemies. It shouldn't be so hard trying to hit your opponents.

The isometric scrolling is a neat idea that separates the game from other shoot 'em ups. Ideally however, it should play as well as your typical vertical shmup, just with a slightly different perspective.

Maybe take a look at Viewpoint (NeoGeo, PS1, Genesis) or Isolated Warrior (NES) for inspiration. Or Sega's Zaxxon.
Insane homebrew collector.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Thanks a lot for the input Christus. :)
Christuserloeser wrote:I have tested the previous version. This does have potential but needs some work.

- The player's firing sound needs replacing (sounds like a pistol when it should be more like a continuous rapid fire laser gun, no sound effect would be better than a bad sound effect)
I took me a while to find free sound effects. The 3 sites I spent a long time looking through, that was the 'best' sound effect for firing. I'll look and try to find a better one, do you happen to know of any free sound sites I could check out?
Christuserloeser wrote: - The player's shots are too small to hit your enemies. It shouldn't be so hard trying to hit your opponents.
You think so? I have been trying to balance difficulty with the players shot speed, enemies shot speed, enemy base movement speed, and players rate of fire. I feel the width of the players' shots is good, but it could be widened, as long as it doesnt affect the games balance too much for the player.
Christuserloeser wrote: The isometric scrolling is a neat idea that separates the game from other shoot 'em ups. Ideally however, it should play as well as your typical vertical shmup, just with a slightly different perspective.

Maybe take a look at Viewpoint (NeoGeo, PS1, Genesis) or Isolated Warrior (NES) for inspiration. Or Sega's Zaxxon.
Viewpoint - man that was an amazing game, great enemies, amazing music and damn good difficulty (if not ruthless). Its a good game to aspire to, but its too far beyond the scope of how big I want this project.

Doing good enemy formations and better pathing/enemy AI is kind of like my final step in this whole thing. I do need to review some other games, and try to pull some enemy patterns that I could use in my game.

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Ive made some graphical updates, difficulty changes, added some new enemies with new paths and removed the firing sound. ( spent about 4 hours total trying to find a better effect but couldnt).

Im trying to add in a real 'map' to some of the levels, instead of just having a randomly generated map, but am having a few scrolling/placement issues. If I dont get it working within a week, ill release the new version without it.

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Updated the game to version 2.9, see the first post.