Chrome Down

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Chrome Down

Post by cube_b3 »

Yesterday Chrome started behaving strangely it was not opening websites.

I use Chrome as my primary browser but given that it was acting strange I opened Explorer and it worked fine.

Today, when I tried to launch Chrome it wouldn't launch... It did start after 5 minutes or so.
Every time I close chrome it takes a very long time to launch and many flash based websites like Youtube don't load or hang.

I tried deleting my history, didn't help.
Tried uninstalling and installing it, didn't help.
My antivirus has expired recently, so I thought it may be causing the problem, so I disabled the app and even disabled the antivirus, didn't help.
Tried googling for help, didn't help.

I am using Explorer and it seems to be working flawlessly so whatever the problem is it appears to be restricted to Chrome.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Chrome Down

Post by |darc| »

Try backing up your Chrome data folder and then deleting it. Go to %AppData%\Google\ and copy the Chrome folder elsewhere, then delete it. See if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't, then try starting Chrome as administrator and see if it loads quickly then (Right click Chrome icon -> Run as Administrator)
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Thanks for the reply, but the problem seems to have taken care of itself.

Chrome is running fine now, but my computer has gotten pretty buggy since the anti-virus expired.

This reinforces my hypothesis that an antivirus can turn into a virus if not reactivated.

I am thinking I will move all necessary data from the C: drive into another one and format the entire computer any idea how I reinstall Windows 8? My Laptop did not come with a cd/dvd... should I take it to BestBuy and ask them for help?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Thanks for the reply, but the problem seems to have taken care of itself.

Chrome is running fine now, but my computer has gotten pretty buggy since the anti-virus expired.

This reinforces my hypothesis that an antivirus can turn into a virus if not reactivated.

I am thinking I will move all necessary data from the C: drive into another one and format the entire computer any idea how I reinstall Windows 8? My Laptop did not come with a cd/dvd... should I take it to BestBuy and ask them for help?
In Windows 8 terms,
Refresh = keeps your files and metro apps intact, but "refreshes" Windows and deletes all programs
Reset = completely reformats your PC

How to do this is very easy, instructions here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... h-reset-pc

You might want to try a refresh first before you do a complete reset
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Thanks Darc, appreciate the help!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So the preceding problem was magically rectified.

Today I have a new problem. MSN.com is set as my homepage despite changing it from the settings it still opens MSN.

I am done with Chrome.
I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox.