How is it in America now?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: How is it in America now?

Post by melancholy »

Every level of schooling in America, from preschool to the end of college, is completely broken in our country. We invest so little in education that it's a miracle we are a global competitor at all.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by RyoDC »

melancholy wrote:Every level of schooling in America, from preschool to the end of college, is completely broken in our country. We invest so little in education that it's a miracle we are a global competitor at all.
Lol. I always thought (and still think) that America is a leader in educational products.
Many of my friends and family have developed a egocentric, "fuck 'em all" mentality when it comes to welfare/universal healthcare/basic income. It's an "us vs. them" type of thought where us = "hard-working, productive members of society" and them = "impoverished, Ebonics-speaking degenerates."
Huh, never have been thought that it will turn out that way.
I consider that this kind of hate mostly connected with afroamericans who live on social pension or something like that.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, American education is some of the finest education I have ever had the opportunity to come across.

I have seen the Cambridge system, iGSCE, IBO etc but the high school that my 14 year old brother is going to... I wish I went there.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

I'm sorry, but when I watch 2-3 schools close down every single year, teachers getting laid off or converted to part time, buses being shut down...and yet, in spite of all the cuts, still being vastly over budget in spending makes me think that we don't really give a shit about how functional our schools are. We really only seem to be focused on college and job training with almost no attention to the 18 years before that.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes, there are problems.

We have countless reports of teachers raping/statuary raping students as well.
At the same time we have reports of teachers getting fired for taking a sick student to the hospital and then paying her medical bills from her own pocket.

It is an unfortunate situation when the government doesn't adequately fund one of the most important things that determine our future, but even with all the problems it is still better than a lot of countries.