Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Post by cube_b3 »

So roughly around this time last year, Darc successfully converted me to an Apple consumer.

I still have a Windows Computer, but my phone is from Apple. I have had a few problems and aside from not being able to set Midi's as ring tones all my concerns were addressed here.

I am all set to upgrade to an iPhone 6, not that I need to. Given that someone in my family has always had an Apple phone from 3GS to 5. I have had my hands on all of them and aside from Apple dropping support for 3GS and 4 all phones are functionally identical. Atleast the functions that I would use on a daily basis.

One thing that I am expecting though is that the same size and shape is retained, the biggest reason why I bought the iPhone was that it is still the size of a phone and not a notebook or a tablet. I don't like S3's or Note 3's as they are large. I like my small iPhone screen. I don't want iPhone 6 to be XL.

So my expectations for iPhone 6 are fairly low, and the only reason I am upgrading is cause I promised my mom that I will get her a new phone (especially since buying her a Nokia 900 was a mistake that I am reminded of every day). I am going to be a little self serving and just remove the plastic case, protective plastic, box the phone and gift it. I do hope the phone comes out in June and not later cause Lumia is driving us crazy.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:So roughly around this time last year, Darc successfully converted me to an Apple consumer.
:headbang:
cube_b3 wrote:I have had my hands on all of them and aside from Apple dropping support for 3GS and 4 all phones are functionally identical. Atleast the functions that I would use on a daily basis.
I think you say that now but if you had to go back and use a 3GS, you would notice a massive difference, with the non-retina screen especially.
cube_b3 wrote:One thing that I am expecting though is that the same size and shape is retained, the biggest reason why I bought the iPhone was that it is still the size of a phone and not a notebook or a tablet. I don't like S3's or Note 3's as they are large. I like my small iPhone screen. I don't want iPhone 6 to be XL.
Honestly, I would be surprised if Apple didn't release an iPhone with a larger screen. Like you said, their phones lately have been fairly identical, but I would simply call it evolutionary (big speed upgrades but minor new features) instead of revolutionary (lots of new features that shake up how we think about or use our mobile phones). The retina screen was the last big revolutionary feature, and since then, there hasn't been much (iPhone 4S had Siri, which has become the "voice" of the iPhone when it comes to marketing purposes, but I don't think many people actually honestly use it as a feature or care about it, so that was a flop; iPhone 5 had LTE, but that was late and Apple was playing catch-up).

Right now, I would say the iPhone 5S is pretty much identical to the iPhone 5. In fact, I bought an iPhone 5S and returned it because I could hardly tell the difference, and I'm not a hardcore phone user. Sure, it was faster, but not in a way that's really all that noticeable to the average user, and it does have the fingerprint sensor, which is cool, but I didn't see it as worth upgrading over, so I returned it.

So that goes the same for the 5c too. To most people, the only difference is that the 5S has a fingerprint sensor, and its colors are more 'mature'/'deluxe' looking. That's really the only big differences... is that worth $100? probably not, to most people.

A larger screen is one of the few things left that many people have been asking for that Android has and Apple doesn't. I can easily see Apple creating an iPhone with a larger screen and placing that at the top as their high-end iPhone offering. They would likely then still sell iPhones with the current screen size in an assortment of colors, maybe now with the fingerprint sensor (or maybe not? maybe they'll keep that as a feature of the high-end model only). Anyway, Apple needs a big and obvious differentiating feature between their high- and low-end models, and a larger screen could easily fit that role.

That's just my opinion, though, I'm not basing that off of any solid or concrete research.
cube_b3 wrote:I do hope the phone comes out in June and not later cause Lumia is driving us crazy.
I doubt that is going to happen. A new iPhone comes out every 13-14 months, and I cannot see them releasing a new one just 9-10 months after their last iteration. It will likely be in October.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'd like a bigger screen size, just because I feel my iPad spoils me. Playing a game on iPad then switching down to an iPhone just feels like such a squeeze, even if it still plays fine.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

The 3GS died... I think.

But my dad still uses a 4 and my brother has a 4S and all of ours are "functionally" identical on a daily basis you will not feel a difference. Yes placed side by side, and if you take a picture you will obviously see the difference. But practically it is all the same.

I repeat they don't have to make the phone larger to make it competitive.

Just look at these concept videos

I really liked the Gonçalo and João Madureira's demo.

I would also like Samsung's hand free features implemented cause sometimes I have to touch my phone when I am eating food and I hate doing that.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:I repeat they don't have to make the phone larger to make it competitive.
It's not about being competitive, it's about having a differentiating factor between their high-end and low-end models. I'm not saying that Apple definitely will do this, but it makes sense as a business strategy.
cube_b3 wrote:Just look at these concept videos

Like almost all of those videos had larger screens :lol:
cube_b3 wrote:I would also like Samsung's hand free features implemented cause sometimes I have to touch my phone when I am eating food and I hate doing that.
What do you mean? Like voice commands?
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I feel like the sweetspot for screen size is between 4.2 to 4.7 inches. Anything bigger is too uncomfortable. Anything smaller feels restrictive in real media consumption. I love my HTC One, but if Apple releases an iPhone with similar dimensions, I'm definitely going back.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I use a wallet case so that I don't have to carry around a bunch of separate "pocket stuff." As a result, I rather like the current size, because it's the perfect size for a wallet.

That said, I think Apple realizes the need for a 1080p (or similar) display in order to stay competitive with other high-end offerings, and it would be difficult (and nearly pointless) to simply increase the resolution of the screen while keeping the current dimensions.

I would not be surprised to see future iterations have a larger high-end version alongside a budget model that kept something resembling the current form factor and dimensions. It would also be in keeping with most of their other products: the iPad, MacBook Pro, and iMac all have a "large" and "small" version.

Won't really affect me either way. I just got a 5 last year, and I don't plan on replacing it for at least 2-3 years.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

|darc| wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
Look again:

Yes the screen is bigger but the phone size is actually smaller than the i5.

Though I don't like the idea of a touch button. The Button should remain as is.

Wasn't Steve Jobs vehemently against a larger screen?
cube_b3 wrote:I would also like Samsung's hand free features implemented cause sometimes I have to touch my phone when I am eating food and I hate doing that.
What do you mean? Like voice commands?
No, the waving features. I have seen that they are a little problematic and all.
But sometimes it is nice to take a call without touching the phone.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:
|darc| wrote:
cube_b3 wrote:
Look again:[snip]
Yes the screen is bigger but the phone size is actually smaller than the i5.
But I didn't say anything about the phone size. I was talking about a bigger screen.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I see. So, Yes.

My point was that I am comfortable with the phones size. I would not like to see that increased.

I don't what people think about this but making it slimmer and slimmer makes it less and less comfortable to hold. Especially in one hand.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:I don't what people think about this but making it slimmer and slimmer makes it less and less comfortable to hold. Especially in one hand.
I don't disagree with you, but personally I just use cases now. I hated using a case with my original iPhone and iPhone 3G, but once the iPhone 4 came out I felt like the phones became so small that a case didn't mess with the experience as much as it once did.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Plus it protects the phone.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So the next phone will hopefully not be divided into variants for rich and poor, which makes me infer it will also not be divided into i6XL or i6LiTE.

As repeatedly mentioned I want the phone size to remain constant, though if they can increase the sreen size while retaining the phone size I am all for it.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

One of the big reasons I switched from and iPhone 5 to an HTC One was for the screen size. Nearly every single popular Android device has at least a 4.8" screen, and having the iPhone stuck at 4" always felt limiting. But as awful as Android has been for me the past 6 months, if Apple releases a phone with a competitive screen size, I won't hesitate to switch back. And I know I'm not the only consumer that feels that way.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Any update on the f'ing release date?

Is their any hope of it coming sooner than September?

I read that Apple is encountering battery problems which is why it can't release before September.

I am also wondering if it will be @t&t exclusive like i5 or available to all like i5c/s.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Apple only comes out with a new phone once a year, and since the 5c/5s were announced in September, I'd highly doubt the 6 will be announced much--if any--sooner than that.

Also, the iPhone 5 was not AT&T exclusive. My service is Virgin (runs on the Sprint network), and I have a 5. It took a while to come to other carriers, but that's because Apple was still branching out at that point; they had to wait for standing exclusivity contracts to expire.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Frankly, at this point, I'm much more interested in a revamp of their laptop line. My computer is over 6 years old and begging to be replaced, and I'm just waiting to see what Apple announces before I decide what to get next.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Any update on the f'ing release date?
We're only ¾ through a product cycle, it's too early to announce a release date of their next product.
cube_b3 wrote:Is their any hope of it coming sooner than September?

No one really knows... but doubtful.
cube_b3 wrote:I am also wondering if it will be @t&t exclusive like i5 or available to all like i5c/s.
The iPhone 5 launched with support for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and later on they added T-Mobile. So no, it was not exclusive. I fully expect every iPhone released moving forward to be on all 4 major carriers, and there's no reason to question otherwise unless something new happens.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am not a fan of the unnecessary mystery that surrounds Apple products release dates, especially since most hardware updates are forgettable. My younger brother still uses his iPhone 4. Runs just fine.

Even if 4 is outdated the 4s is still compatible with every app that the new ones can use.
If it isn't every app then it is every app, I would care to try.

I also doubt iPhone 6 would be anymore evolutionary, after 4s was perceived as a weak update everyone thought 5 would be something innovative it wasn't. 5c/5s are probably the most pathetic upgrades. So yeah, I just want a new one to come out so I can gift my pone to my mom. She is getting impatient and it is possible I would be forced to buy her a 4s or something if no concrete information is available by July.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone- ... rs-1099865