So whats new with you?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So whats new with you?

Post by Veggita2099 »

Since I haven't been in for awhile thought Id ask whats new with everyone?

I got married a couple of years ago and we have a 3 month old baby now. I still work for the railroad although I have enough seniority that I don't quite hate it like I used to. Far as gaming goes I have found I have more luck with indie games than anything else. About any major title game I buy for some reason or another I end up hating it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: So whats new with you?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

After my job at the school district became untenable, my then-girlfriend (now fiancé) and I moved from Santa Cruz to San Francisco, where the rent is higher but there's a better job market. I spent a couple of years doing temp jobs and contract work--including for one company that went bankrupt and screwed me out of several thousand dollars--until I landed a position about a year ago as a copy editor for a company that publishes engineering manuals. I've been there ever since.

I'm getting married next fall, we have a cat and we'll be getting a dog once we can afford a bigger apartment, I've started restoring antiques in my spare time (with an emphasis on wind-up phonographs, manual typewriters, early electric fans, and vacuum tube radios), and I'm writing a fantasy novel.

I still spend a fair amount of time gaming, and I do actively use my Dreamcast. The last "new" Dreamcast games I got were GunLord, Sturmwind, and L.o.L. I also backed the Pier Solar HD Kickstarter (or rather, my fiancé did for me, as a Christmas present a year ago), so a copy of that should be headed my way when it finally ships. So that'll be another Dreamcast game. Not aware of any other upcoming titles I'm planning to get, though, unless Age of the Beast and Scourge actually get release dates.

Between the two of us, my fiancé and I have an NES, a JVC X'Eye (combo Genesis/SEGA CD), two Model 2 Genesis-es (Geneses? …I really should sell these or give them away or something, as we only use the X'Eye), an SNES and a Supaboy, an N64 (with expansion pak and modded controllers), a SEGA Sports Dreamcast, two GameCubes (one with a GameBoy Player, and the other is a spare that we probably won't keep), a Wii (with a broken disc drive… been meaning to get that fixed), a launch-model PS3 (with a sizable catalog of PSX and PS2 games), a 360 (RROD'd, but we rarely used it even before it broke, and we inherited it from a friend), a Wii U, 4 GBAs (for Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords--two have backlight mods, one has a Halo light, and one is an SP), a DS Lite, and a 3DS.

We have a pretty substantial library for each system. I tend toward platformers and puzzle games, she tends toward RPGs, and we both like quirky games and action-RPGs, as well as party and fighting games. We have a group of friends come over for game night every weekend, and the Dreamcast, Wii U, and PS3 all make regular appearances there.

Everything Dreamcast and newer (except for the regular Wii) is connected to the HDTV in the living room. Everything cartridge-based (and the Wii, for Netflix duty) is connected to a "normal" 27" CRT in the bedroom. I don't really play games on the computer, and neither of us is particularly interested in the PS4 or XBone, but we are currently in the market for a Saturn. Also considering a RetroN5 to play the cartridge games on the HD set.

Oh, and |darc| fixed my Screamcast badge.

Edited to include more gaming info.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Just recently moved back to New Orleans after living in Baton Rouge for a few years. Just moved into a newly renovated house which is awesome. Still working on finishing the moving process, putting everything away, properly decorating, etc.

I work from home doing remote tech support. Next week I start on the overnight team, which means I will get to work four 10 hour shifts a week, from 7pm-5am. I'll then have every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday off, which will be awesome.

As far as gaming goes, I'm primarily into retro gaming and PC gaming, but also Nintendo stuff. I've found it really difficult to give the slightest of a fuck about gaming in the 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4 era.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I wear drawers with dick-holes in them.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I left college and moved to Minnesota. I worked at a newspaper for a couple years, got out and went back to school. I got sick of living in Minnesota and moved back home to South Dakota. I'm almost done with a degree and work part-time at a grocery store meat department for cash. For gaming, I mainly play PC games with some classic and 360 games mixed in. GTA V is marvelous.
Jeeba Jabba wrote:I wear drawers with dick-holes in them.
The original joke is funnier
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

I've been working for a software company the past (almost) seven years that doesn't make games of any kind. It's kind of maddening. I'm some kind of manager now and need to share inspirational anecdotes with the people who report to me whenever possible.

I also have been recording music and playing small venues for the past few years. It's a nice idea that I could actually make money off doing something I really enjoy, but I have kind of accepted that I'm at the mercy of the corporate teet if I want to live a non-drifter lifestyle. Maybe I'll just become a drifter.

I got married about five years ago and that's pretty much excellent. We got a house, dog, and the whole American dream thing going on.

In June, I started work on a new S&F Software project that I am a little burned out on for the moment. I'll likely get back to that after the new year.

So, yeah... exciting stuff.

- Steve
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

pixel wrote:I left college and moved to Minnesota. I worked at a newspaper for a couple years, got out and went back to school. I got sick of living in Minnesota and moved back home to South Dakota. I'm almost done with a degree and work part-time at a grocery store meat department for cash. For gaming, I mainly play PC games with some classic and 360 games mixed in. GTA V is marvelous.
Jeeba Jabba wrote:I wear drawers with dick-holes in them.
The original joke is funnier
Cool beans man, I live in South Dakota. Would be cool if you're going to the U too.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Worked at the smithsonian for a few years. then moved across the country then to someplace very different. Thinking about sailin through the hemispheres.
darc wrote:I've found it really difficult to give the slightest of a fuck about gaming in the 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4 era.
Same here, theres a few stand out games, like RDR, and i think new battlefield game with destruction physics are great, but i can't really be arsed to really care about 98% of new games. Going back to beat all the games from my childhood. Alien Syndrome is a bitch on SMS.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Been working at a hosted services/CDN/DOOHA/Email Security company for the past 4 years now, completely neglecting my Comp. Sci. training by being a tech support grunt. Last June the company got bought out and I went straight to the new owners with a business proposal. Now I'm Product Manager and am spending most of my work hours playing around on the internet instead of talking service techs through repairing vending machines (we manage the networks and provide the software for, among other things, those Coca-Cola touchscreen vending machines).

At home I just expanded my arcade with Ms PacMan and Crazy Taxi. Need to post up some pics here sometime. Not much gaming otherwise though, last new game I played was Europa Universalis 3 which was maddening. A few weeks ago I set up a linux VM to work on DC dev, but havn't tweaked and dusted off a DC with BBA yet to test compilations (though I have submitted some minor KOS patches to bluecrab...).

For the past 3 years have been living in my childhood home with two roommates, both of whom are friends from school (one from middle and high school, the other from high school). It's a large home, so I spent much of my time with maintenance and upkeep (if it isn't one of the ACs having a problem, it's a leaky window, downed tree branch, or bad electrical outlet).

My girlfriend and I have been together for a year next week, my longest relationship. She sings and plays bass in a local alt-metal band (with strong videogame themes).

I am awaiting the day when I've gotten my house in order enough and have the savings to embark on an entrepreneurial project. Until then I'm saving as much as I can and biding time at my job.

I often long for the time spent messing around with DC stuff, and still proudly state it as my deepest seated hobby.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I live in London with my wife in a nice little house we started buying a couple of years ago that we've been slowly fixing up ever since. I'm the lead designer at a marketing agency where I've been for 6 years. I mostly enjoy the work but the whole corporate life/city commuting thing can be pretty draining, I haven't really figured out an alternative though where I wouldn't have to worry about paying bills.

I don't have loads of time for gaming anymore but first party Nintendo games, indie stuff and generally arty/thoughtful games tend to catch my attention most. Over the last generation Fallout 3, The Last of Us, Wind Waker HD and Fez have probably been my favourite things. I don't even have a working Dreamcast anymore, I really should pick one up on Ebay sometime.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Moved to Japan about a year and a half ago to teach. Very Happy with my work and exhausted from overworking. Never thought I'd be at that point in my life where being at work doesn't feel much like "a job."
Not married, but hoping that starts to get more sorted out sometime soon.
Went on a long winter vacation up north and stayed with some friends. New years eve got blackout drunk for the first time in years (on accident too!) Made me feel like a college kid again, hangover included. :lol:

Gaming wise I sold most of my game collection when I moved here. I still have my dreamcast stuff packed in some boxes in my sisters home. When I visit the states again oneday I plan to really downsize the collection to only the essentials and bring em back here with me. Its the only sort of nostalgic gaming I own now. I bought a dreamcast here, but the only games I have are some of the indie games I ordered. Though I plan to try out the shenmue undub that was recently released.

I still frequent the site, though I don't post much of course. Good to see life updates from those who still hang around.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Been working at a large finance company coming up on 4 years. I started taking client phone calls, and now doing software testing for the accounting department. I'm trying to make a move to IT. I'm finishing up a master's at Penn State in Information Science. Been seeing a girl for about 4 months now, she is swell.

I haven't been gaming as much as I'd like. My PS4 is collecting dust. I've mostly been indie gaming also, and discovering some classics I missed. I went to a 4 day, 24 hour/day gaming convention last week. That was a trip.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Uhm lets see. Tons of bullshit, but ive moved past all that shit. So, thats awesome. Trying to find a new job right now. I also do circuit bending and play everyonce in a while which is really fun. Working on a huge art project that I'm collaborating on with someone. I've never done a colab so thats neat-o. Oh, I got my first STD recently. Got rid of it so NBD. TBH, I'm surprised it took me this long to get an STD if I'm being honest.

Like, I have not been in a serious relationship for 2 years or so now. I have had sexual partners during that time, but never used a condom. hell at one point I was dating two people (they were cool with it) and they would see other people too. Somehow we didn't get anything during that time. Fuck, I'm rambling. Uhm, anyways, I guess life is going alright. I'll post my project planned for april when I get done with it so you guiz can check it out.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well... I finished with my Master of Science degree last semester (defended my thesis a week before Thanksgiving in the US), and I'm slated to start on my PhD this semester. Hopefully that won't take quite as long to finish as the Masters did... My thesis was entitled "A Multilevel Hierarchy of Filesystem Security" and was, fittingly enough, about improving the security and permissions model of UNIX-like operating systems. I've been working on various university research projects and/or as a teaching assistant during the whole process, and that will continue into the PhD program too.

I'm around often enough that I don't really think that much of anything is "new" with me. I mean, I'm still always on IRC, I'm still doing Dreamcast stuff, I'm still trying (and often failing) to tinker with with various hardware projects, I'm still writing/maintaining a PSO server, and I'm still building a stack of RPGs that I'll probably never actually get a chance to beat (since more games enter the stack than are ever popped off of it).

Oh, and I'm still "forever alone", not that that really matters all that much to anyone (myself included).
Quzar wrote:A few weeks ago I set up a linux VM to work on DC dev, but havn't tweaked and dusted off a DC with BBA yet to test compilations (though I have submitted some minor KOS patches to bluecrab...).
You know... You do have committing privileges too. :wink: In fact, I think you're actually listed as an admin on the sourceforge project...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Still in China. I'm married with a son who's almost three and now run the Academic Department at the school I originally joined. It's a great job. I love teaching kids and the management position gives me a reduction in classroom hours to leave room for some fairly easy responsibilities. All told I work about 30 hours a week and earn enough to live comfortably here without having to budget.

That said, I'll be leaving within the next 12-18 months. We could happily stay here, and part of me wants to for simplicity's sake, but I think I'd be doing a serious disservice to my son by letting him go through the Chinese school system. Plus I don't want to live in an apartment for the rest of my life.

I still game - it's my own real hobby, but I'm even more casual than I used to be. It has to fit around my life or it isn't going to get played. I'm discovering a lot of indie games from the last few years now that I've got a PC that's up to it and my PS3/360 library represents what I reckon is the greatest gen there's ever been. I love my 3DS also. It goes everywhere with me.

I haven't played a Dreamcast since 2006. I've thought about buying one in China. One of the game shops sells "refurbished" Japanese ones with all the peripherals for about $40, but I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother playing it... :?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Nothing....
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Veggie, if you're gonna do this, do it right.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Got my MBA, moved to Minneapolis, am now branch manager at a credit union.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Are you still as sexy as your sig claims, M. Randy K.?
It's thinking...
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm alive. I guess that's not new though.

Edit: Been awhile. Moved to an unexpected place and was working IT for a major corporation for 3 years or so, then they outsourced us. Had a mental breakdown due to an auto-immune disease messing with my body and hormones. On meds, feel great but not doing shit. Working a boring job that pays shit (pays the bills), but looking for new work.