So whats new with you?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: So whats new with you?

Post by Nico0020 »

Turned 30 last year. Can't believe I've been coming here for over 15 years. I rarely post, but I still lurk often from my phone. Incoming wall of text, I feel a need to write and someone here might actually read, relate or care about it.

Kinda weird reading the post I originally made in this topic. I was quite optimistic at the time. That job I had gotten really didn't pay the bills at all and ended up requiring me to work two part time jobs on top of it to keep up with everything. But there is a silver lining to it all. After 5 1/2 years of working in Japan, my girlfriend and opened up our own business. We have opened our own school and we are in our 4th month with 78 students at this point.

This is the first time I've never had a boss, never had anyone left to answer to except myself. Something I have learned is being your own boss is really motivating and crushing at the same time. You never feel like you have done enough, cause you can't lie and make excuses to yourself when you slack off. So I feel motivated to do more, and then I really feel like shit after I slack off. But I love my job, I haven't had a bad day yet. Hard days, plenty, but never a bad day.

The bad is, after living in Japan for the majority of my adult life at this point, I'm getting more and more lonely. My depression has really been hitting me, and for about the past 6 months I was drinking 5+ nights a week. I have had the same girlfriend for 3 years, and we are a great team. But she is a single mom, and we run our business together, so everything has to be kept secret and professional at all times. I used to have a lot of friends here, but the harsh truth I had to realize was, 99% of the foreigners in Japan don't stay here (which most of the foreigners here I can't stand anyways.) The Japanese you can really make true friendships with, those ones are the odd ones that want out of Japan too. The best Japanese friends I have made all left the country because they felt better living abroad, which I totally understand. My sister and I are close and text/skype when we can, and my nephew is now in 8th grade. My parents are a mess, so my sister and nephew are my family, and only being able to see them once a year is rough. As of recent I realize how important family can be.

Gaming wise, I have fallen back into my comfort zone. A friend back in USA and I are playing PSO on Dreamcast again, which does help cheer me up. I have actually been gaming a lot recently and I am going into my backlog. Been playing a lot of SEGA games I never played / hadn't beaten yet. Been chugging through Phantasy Star 2, and I never played it as a kid. Fuck that game is a grind, and the dungeons require maps with their insane design.

Hit a block in my writing, so, yea...

TLDR: Adult life is hard. Depression always creeps back. And video game nostalgia helps.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

Taking vitamin D3 and B12 helps A LOT with depression.
Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

My sister who is a nurse gave me the same advice recently. I picked up both the other day and will start taking them. Thanks.

I actually would like to ask a question involving careers to everyone.

I have a job I am truly happy with. Like I do love teaching, and love being my own boss, but I also just don't like being at work when I don't have to be. My girlfriend who is doing this business with me on the other hand quite literally loves being at work. Those of you who have been lucky enough to find a career that you love, which end of the spectrum do you fall on?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge
Been thanked: 0

Post by ben15dc »

Ive been married, cheated on and divorced. Single father of 2 paying a ridiculous amount of child support..Had to sell my beloved Dreamcast among other things and move back in with my Father. Good times. Glad these forums are still up.