KDE 4.2 is out

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KDE 4.2 is out

Post by Stormwatch »

January 27, 2009. The KDE Community today announced the immediate availability of "The Answer", (a.k.a KDE 4.2.0), readying the Free Desktop for end users. KDE 4.2 builds on the technology introduced with KDE 4.0 in January 2008. After the release of KDE 4.1, which was aimed at casual users, the KDE Community is now confident we have a compelling offering for the majority of end users.
sauce
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Maturion

Re: KDE 4.2 is out

Post by Maturion »

It looks like Windows Vista.... I may have a look at it, but I really like the simplicity of GNOME.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Maturion wrote:It looks like Windows Vista.... I may have a look at it, but I really like the simplicity of GNOME.
No, I don't see it. The only thing it shares with Windows Vista is that the taskbar is black. Nothing else looks even remotely like anything in Vista.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Tried it on my laptop and found about 10 things I don't like about it in 10 minutes. I'm sure a lot of it is down to my laptop, but Gnome runs so much better.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

From what I've heard, the performance problem with KDE4 is that QT4 uses an unusual pixel format that the current graphics drivers don't accelerate (and, according to at least one developer, isn't natively supported by most GPUs in the first place).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ex-Cyber wrote:From what I've heard, the performance problem with KDE4 is that QT4 uses an unusual pixel format that the current graphics drivers don't accelerate (and, according to at least one developer, isn't natively supported by most GPUs in the first place).
Depends on what graphics card you've got.

It's unusably slow on my desktop machine with an nVidia card, unless I run the absolute latest video drivers. In that case, it's just slow. And crashes whenever a menu appears anywhere on the screen. The performance problems on nVidia hardware were basically because KDE 4 relies on the XRender extension to do most of it's drawing, and nVidia's implementation of that API was extremely slow. It's a lot better with the latest drivers, but still not good enough.

On my Macbook, which has an Intel GMA something-or-other (crap, basically), it works great. Easily as fast as anything else (Mac OS X included).

The pixel format thing is actually a different problem. KDE uses ARGB windows for certain features, such as Plasma, so the Plasma windows can have per-pixel transparency, and arbitrary shapes. Some drivers perform very poorly with ARGB windows, and some have (or had) all kinds of bugs, or graphics corruption...
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I haven't tried 4.2 but my initial impressions of 4.0 and 4.1 haven't been positive. I don't understand/use widgets so I'm having trouble switching to the new system and a lot of the configuration options seem unintuitive to me at this point. I'm seriously considering reverting to a simpler desktop like blackbox and using basic shell and vi for more serious work. Hopefully that will take away all the layers of abstraction ruin the multimedia/desktop experience for me in both KDE and Gnome.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

nymus wrote:I haven't tried 4.2 but my initial impressions of 4.0 and 4.1 haven't been positive. I don't understand/use widgets so I'm having trouble switching to the new system and a lot of the configuration options seem unintuitive to me at this point. I'm seriously considering reverting to a simpler desktop like blackbox and using basic shell and vi for more serious work. Hopefully that will take away all the layers of abstraction ruin the multimedia/desktop experience for me in both KDE and Gnome.
Supposedly, this new version addresses a lot of the issues people had with 4.0 and 4.1.

Unfortunately, though, it's still not available from anywhere but the bleeding-edge repositories on either of my Linux installations (Mint and Mandriva). Therefore, I haven't been able to test it, yet.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

KDE SC 4.8 is out. Go use it.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

4.9 yo.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

KDE website wrote:KDE's powerful file manager Dolphin now includes back and forward buttons
MS Windows has that since... Windows 95 (or 98, if I'm mistaken).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube