iPod frozen

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

iPod frozen

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Last night, I tried to transfer some music to my iPod Touch, and the sync failed. After that the iPod was acting really sluggish, so I rebooted it... but it never came back up. It just sat on the Apple boot logo until it ran out of battery power.

I plugged it in to charge, and once it had built up enough power, it turned back on... and did the same thing. I tried resetting. I tried leaving it, to see if it was just loading really slowly for some reason. 5 hours later, no progress.

It's a first-generation iPod Touch with iOS 3 (the latest version supported by this model).

Any idea how to fix it?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: iPod frozen

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Well, after a few tries, I did manage to get it into factory reset mode so that iTunes could wipe it and reinstall the firmware. (Note to self: jailbreaking the iPod is *NOT* worth it. I rarely used the unofficial apps and tweaks, and stability has taken a nosedive ever since the jailbreak).

Anyway, I just spent the last 12 hours (UGH) re-transferring everything to my iPod. Part of the problem is that 32GB takes a while, but the larger bottleneck is that I have iTunes set to transcode all my music to 128Kbps when it's sent to the iPod. I need that in order for it all to fit, but I prefer to keep it in a higher-quality format on the computer. Unfortunately, it severely slows down the process of refilling my iPod from scratch.

My poor computer needs a rest.