Electric Bike

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Electric Bike

Post by ace »

Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking very seriously about getting a Bionx PL 350 HT RR L model (specs and photo below)

I have a 20 km commute to work every day on a mix of residential and city roads. I typically take public transit on two different systems as parking downtown where I work is a nightmare. It costs me over $200/mo just for my transit passes.

20 km each way is a long way to cycle. About one and a half hours, which is why I think one of these kits will be beneficial to me.

I was originally going to go with a more "open source" motor kit like Crystalyte, but I like the form factor and options on the BionX. They may cost a bit more, but given what I'll save on transit costs, it's easily justifiable.

I also plan on using my bike for every day tasks like shopping and restaurant/bar hopping. I figure, at three cents per 60 km, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than gas at $1.50 per/L.

I've pretty much already decided I'm getting this kit, so I don't really need any convincing, just want to see if anyone has any experience with these e-bike kits.

Range**: 90km (56 mi.)
Battery: Li-Ion / 37V / 9.6 Ah / 355 Wh
Torque (Nom./Max.): 9/40Nm (6.6/29.5 lb.-ft.)
Weight (System): 10.2 kg (22.5 lb.)
Assist Levels: 35, 75, 150, 300%

DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Electric Bike

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Important consideration:

There are two types of electric bikes--self-propelled and assistive. The former can actually move themselves, sort of like a (very, very low-powered) motorcycle, which is especially useful for hills and long distances. The latter won't actually move on their own; they just use the power to make pedaling much easier. Make sure that whatever you're buying will actually propel your bike under its own power.

Also, keep the law in mind. I don't know the differences between traffic laws in Canada and the US (and even within the US, it varies from state to state), but at least here in California the maximum speed is very important. Most self-propelled electric bikes top off somewhere at 18-22 mph (assuming flat ground and no pedaling). Why? Once the vehicle is capable of going 25 mph under its own power, it counts as a motorcycle and you need a motorcycle license to ride it in the street.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Important consideration:

There are two types of electric bikes--self-propelled and assistive. The former can actually move themselves, sort of like a (very, very low-powered) motorcycle, which is especially useful for hills and long distances. The latter won't actually move on their own; they just use the power to make pedaling much easier. Make sure that whatever you're buying will actually propel your bike under its own power.
Some how I guessed you'd respond first :P.

BionX does both, which is why I like the system. Sometimes I'll want to just throttle-coast ie on the way to work, but other times, such as when biking for leisure I may want a lower level of assist just for hills. Also, using assist for longer range travel.
DaMadFiddler wrote: Also, keep the law in mind. I don't know the differences between traffic laws in Canada and the US (and even within the US, it varies from state to state), but at least here in California the maximum speed is very important. Most self-propelled electric bikes top off somewhere at 18-22 mph (assuming flat ground and no pedaling). Why? Once the vehicle is capable of going 25 mph under its own power, it counts as a motorcycle and you need a motorcycle license to ride it in the street.
In Ontario, the legal limit is 32 km/h. BionX shuts off assistance at about 33 km/h, however you can still go much faster if you contribute leg power by pedalling.

The other thing I really like that BionX has that others do not, is regenerative braking. Sure it's not going to help out a whole lot with charging at 36V battery, but it helps control speed on hills, and BionX even took it a step further and put in settings to add resistance to the wheel for training/harder work outs.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

That all sounds cool, and I agree that bicycles is much more convenient to use in terms of environment polluting and health, but why won't you buy yourself car? I knew that all americans drive a car and it's a such a shame for American to not a have a driver licence.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

ace wrote:I typically take public transit on two different systems as parking downtown where I work is a nightmare.

I figure, at three cents per 60 km, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than gas at $1.50 per/L.
I thought I had implied that I do have a car. An CUV actually, and it's a real gas guzzler. I would still keep it for any long distance travel, overnight camping and transporting large items. But for small to average grocery loads or short runs around town, I'd totally go pedal.

Also, I'm not american ;)
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Yeah, I mentioned that :D

And I just have imagined you riding an electrical bicycle thru the city. It would be something worth livin a life to see :D
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

lol, walk down Spadina Ave around Queen St around 8:45 a.m. Monday to Friday and you just may get the chance :P
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

ace wrote:Also, I'm not american ;)
Don't try to get out of the fact that you live in America's Hat! The hat is an integral part of America!
canada-americas-hat-tshirt-1.jpg
canada-americas-hat-tshirt-1.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Lol
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

ace wrote:
ace wrote:Also, I'm not american ;)

Yes, you are O_o
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

North american, I'll concede.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

ace wrote:lol, walk down Spadina Ave around Queen St around 8:45 a.m. Monday to Friday and you just may get the chance :P
Let the stalking commence. :suss: