HP ditches the hardware business

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: HP ditches the hardware business

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote:I think really the whole sum-up is that shit is changing, and the realization that I have no idea what will be the eventual outcome of these changes bothers me.
I don't think it is really changing, at least for people that don't want to. Although some talk about PC gaming's demise, but there are still plenty of people keeping the scene alive. Shit like non-dedicated servers does suck, but the controversy is based around titles like Call of Duty, which receives scorn from hardcore gamers anyway. But Steam is doing well and games are still coming out. This whole argument will get really serious with the next version of Windows. I imagine that's going to infuriate plenty of hardliners.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DanteJay »

@melancholy

I just wanted to say thanks. Because of this topic I went to look up the price of the TouchPads, and as a result scored myself one for $99.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

A columnist from the WSJ writes about the past year at HP

Many of the points this guy writes about point to bad decisions made by HP, and not a reduction of consumer PC purchases. I still don't think the loss of HP is directly tied to the downfall of the PC and/or the rise of app-based devices. Rather, it appears to me that HP could've had its cake (PC sales) and ate it too (tablet sales), but decided to make a rash of horrible business decisions instead. There are plenty of other vendors waiting to fill the void.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

pixel wrote:A columnist from the WSJ writes about the past year at HP

Many of the points this guy writes about point to bad decisions made by HP, and not a reduction of consumer PC purchases. I still don't think the loss of HP is directly tied to the downfall of the PC and/or the rise of app-based devices. Rather, it appears to me that HP could've had its cake (PC sales) and ate it too (tablet sales), but decided to make a rash of horrible business decisions instead. There are plenty of other vendors waiting to fill the void.
I completely agree. That article mentions some things I previously did not know about. I knew HP was in trouble when they purchased Palm. HP purchased a company mainly for an operating system that nobody cares about; it was a mistake, plain and simple. At least they're ready for the next round of patent wars.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've worked at Geek Squad for almost a year now and I see day in and day out the usage patterns of normal people.

The overwhelming majority of people run three types of software on their computers: web browsers, word processors, and malware.

Malware obviously isn't wanted, so that goes away (for the most part) in the tablet world.

Word processing sucks on a tablet, but I think tablets will eventually mature to the point where people can use them for word processing.

Web browsing is obviously already very nice on tablets.

No matter who wins at this point, Microsoft is going to lose. Windows may become a legacy platform, or at least a niche platform for professionals.

Linux may finally one day become the dominant player on the desktop.... once the desktop becomes niche.

And the Mac may simply become a platform for just the creative professions.

At any rate, the days of desktop OSs for the general public are numbered.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

By the way, I picked up a Touchpad during the fire sale. Nice device. I'd obviously prefer an iPad, but for $99 you can't beat this thing.
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

|darc| wrote:I'd obviously prefer an iPad, but for $99 you can't beat this thing.
Is it because of the OS? Hardware wise the touchpad has a faster processor and twice the amount of ram. It also has stereo speakers, which is a big plus in my book. On the other hand, the iPad2 has a secondary camera, and longer battery life.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Hey darc, I get the point you're making, but have you seen whats going on with win8? It is actually really awesome and microsoft has impressed me. You can use it in this one mode that basically looks like win7, but it also has this other mode. It is more suited for touch screens and scales really well. They showed it on a phone, tablet and even a normal pc and it seemed to work on that well w/o touch screen stuff. Having the same platform UI on everything is really great for people not wanting to learn something new every time.

here is one video

http://online.wsj.com/video/d9-video-wi ... B79FF.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

that youtube link is the one I'm talking about. Watch all the parts and I really think you might be impressed. It looks like microsoft has a pretty good strategy for embracing the death of the desktop. Kinda neat that it will run on arm as well :)
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DanteJay wrote:
|darc| wrote:I'd obviously prefer an iPad, but for $99 you can't beat this thing.
Is it because of the OS? Hardware wise the touchpad has a faster processor and twice the amount of ram. It also has stereo speakers, which is a big plus in my book. On the other hand, the iPad2 has a secondary camera, and longer battery life.
Depending on the WebOS, I'd add the iOS as a positive (IMO). I haven't used the WebOS, so I have no judgement on the matter.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Here's an example of why the industry is headed in the direction it is...

al-gee on amazon.co.uk wrote: Samsung RV511 15.6 inch notebook (Intel Core i5 480M 2.66GHz, 6Gb, 640Gb, DVDRW, WLAN, Win 7 Home Premium)
Price: £549.99
Availability: In stock

2 of 80 people found the following review helpful:

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally P'd Off!!!, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Samsung RV511 15.6 inch notebook (Intel Core i5 480M 2.66GHz, 6Gb, 640Gb, DVDRW, WLAN, Win 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
Is it a design fault, or is the Samsung label on the top supposed to be that way round - ie upsidedown?! Surely I can't be the only person in the world who couldn't figure out how to open the goddam thing because - as I'm sure just about anybody would - I naturally assumed, without really thinking about it (why would you!!!), that the label is up the right way when you look at the laptop from the front.

After trying to open it by pressing and fiddling with the two metal clips, and getting more and more wound up and totally P'd off (and then looking through the literature that came with it), I first phoned Amazon (who gave me a number for Samsung) and then rang Samsung, who of course, as I now understand, couldn't help me because they/he didn't understand. Eventually (about an hour or more after unpacking it) - by chance - I DID figure it out, but what should have been a pleasant experience has turned out to be a totally unpleasant experience. And all because the goddam label is upsidedown, or - more than likely of course - deliberately put on that way up so that other people will see quite clearly - when using it in public - what make it is.

I don't really care what the actual laptop is like, cos I am just totally P'd off at Samsung for doing that and causing me - and no doubt others - frustration and aggravation and anger, just because they want the people who buy it to advertise it for free for them. If I could, I would return it and ask for my money back. That's how totally P'd off I am!!!
Link to source
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

That guy has a point.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

BoneyCork wrote:That guy has a point.
If he had bought an iPad 2 like everyone else, he would only have had to figure out how to open the packaging. Even if that was too difficult, the Geniuses at the Apple store could have helped him open it.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

My philosophy is that there has, and always be, dumb people. It's in our nature.