DVD blurry/pixelated on HDTV through Blu Ray

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DVD blurry/pixelated on HDTV through Blu Ray

Post by ace »

Hopefully the title will be pretty self explanatory...

I recently bought a Samsung 40 inch LCD and a LG Blu Ray player. Blu Ray obviously looks amazing, but my DVDs are all very blurry/pixelated. I'm new to the HD scene, having only owned tubes to this point. I've fiddled with the settings on both the LG and the Samsung. LG is set to auto detect resolution, though even forcing 720p didnt make any difference. Samsung is programmed to accept and display all resolutions. The DVD in question is BBC Planet Earth, which looked absolutely incredible in standard def.

My best guess is the LG is upscaling the DVD resolution to 1080p, but I really dont know.

Normally I`d use XBMC on my soft modded Xbox, but I can`t seem to find my component cable (side note: anyone who has one and doesnt mind getting rid of it or swapping for composite and cash; send me a message). I dont know that this would make a difference anyways...

I just want to watch my DVDs. Please help.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: DVD blurry/pixelated on HDTV through Blu Ray

Post by melancholy »

ace wrote:My best guess is the LG is upscaling the DVD resolution to 1080p, but I really dont know.
If it's not, then the TV is. It probably boils down to the LG player having a crappy upscaling unit. Either that, or you're just aren't accustomed to seeing what DVD's really look like on an HDTV. I would say try out a different player and see what it looks like. The Samsung TV might be able to upscale a standard def source better than the LG player can output it, so it'd be worth a try just to see if anything changes.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

why does my 42 inch panasonic display some of my movies really dark sometimes.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

melancholy wrote:
ace wrote:My best guess is the LG is upscaling the DVD resolution to 1080p, but I really dont know.
If it's not, then the TV is. It probably boils down to the LG player having a crappy upscaling unit. Either that, or you're just aren't accustomed to seeing what DVD's really look like on an HDTV. I would say try out a different player and see what it looks like. The Samsung TV might be able to upscale a standard def source better than the LG player can output it, so it'd be worth a try just to see if anything changes.
The TV is incredible for Blu ray and HD television channels. I've yet to try an HD console on it, but Wii games look great, actually a great deal better than I expected. I'll try my new 360 after I pick it up tomorrow.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Should also add that even standard def TV doesnt look terrible on the TV. Again, much better than I expected.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is if it is a wide screen dvd. I've always hated widescreen dvds for a certain reason. They do this fun thing where they take a 16:9 or the other kind (forget it right now 25:3 or whatever) and more or less smush it into a 740x480 aka 4:3 picture (the 25:3 or whatever kind is smushed/has bars). So, it gets stretched to display a wide screen image. This is also another reason why if you're downloading a movie and even if you're getting a 480p rip go for the bluray rip. I'm missing some details/technical stuff, but it is late so whatever.

Also, ace. You should look into making BD5/BD9s and no not just ACVHD or w/e (although those can be fine for many). It works out pretty cool because honestly, I can't really tell the difference between a 4-8gig mkv rip from a bluray (i can tell a mkv rip/bluray film from raw hd, but thats a different discussion) and you'll prob find that you can't either. Unless you have a HTPC or something else to play downloaded video (I really gotta suggest getting a HTPC or an appletv and running XBMC on it you'll love it) then burning BD5/BD9s is a really great/cost effective solution to watching films on your tv in HD glory. No transcoding involved just some little bullshit that takes a few minutes+burn time.

Seriously though, do yourself a big favor and get an appletv/install xbmc on it you will fucking love yourself for it. If you want a bit more power go for a fullfledged HTPC box, but either way do it. Some of the things mentioned might apply to the reasons behind your DVDs looking like shit, but honestly just :download 720p rips of them, get a media box, stream them to it, and stop dealing with fucking disc.

edit: I just saw you're picking up a 360. I still gotta suggest getting an appletv or something, but you can convert mkvs to mp4s to play on your 360 super easy. You'll usually have to transcode the audio to aac, but the video stays untouched. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it is fucking awesome. Also, if you don't already know monoprice.com for your cable needs. BUY A FUCKING APPLETV/PUT XBMC ON IT OR GET A HTPC AND PUT XBMC ON IT. YOU'LL FUCKING THANK ME. FUCK.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I just picked up one of these, awesome stuff so far, been streaming HD rips from my ReadyNAS and it works perfectly
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

not just souLLy now wrote:I just picked up one of these, awesome stuff so far, been streaming HD rips from my ReadyNAS and it works perfectly
is that doing anything other than what my ps3 already does ?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Actually I don`t even need a seperate box anymore; the TV accepts standard USB and is also networked. I dropped a few dvd rips onto a flash drive, and they looked pretty good. Haven`t tried a blu ray rip yet. In any case, I`ll still hook up my original Xbox with XBMC as well. I may go for an Apple TV or similar down the road. I could also load up a Micro ATX kit I built a few years ago, but it would just look ugly in my living room.

Edit: it doesn`t seem to be a universal issue with all DVDs in my collection. I threw on a CSI Miami DVD just because it was handy. There was a little artifacting but it looked pretty good. I did fiddle with some of the color presets on the TV, changing it from Dynamic to Natural. The backlighting is so bright on Dynamic, I think it just makes any visual issues more apparent. Im still not sure why Planet Earth looks so pixelated...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:I just picked up one of these, awesome stuff so far, been streaming HD rips from my ReadyNAS and it works perfectly
I don't have or want a PS3 so not sure, for what I want it's perfect
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hey Zero how are the new AppleTVs with 720p stuff? Also do you still need a Mac to install XBMC on them?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Hey thomas. I don't own one personally, but I set one up for my dad. I did use a 10.6 system to jailbreak the appletv, but it is also possible with a windows machine. The appletv2 handles 720p content just great and has no problem with a plethora of video I threw at it. It played any of the 720p mkv/mp4s that I have with out a hitch. For reference the movies I have are 4-6ish gigs for a 720p movie. Some people have some issues with it having to buffer and such, but thats a wifi problem. My dads appletv is on wifi and he doesn't have any issues. Just hit me up if you got any other questions thomas. Also, I'll look around for the jailbreak/install xbmc guide on windows.
DYTDMFBSB?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for the info, looks like I might need to grab one. Are they network only, or can you use a USB drive?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

AFAIK, it isn't possible at the moment and might not ever be. I never looked too much into it because how I setup his computer to rip dvds to a folder that is smb shared. I'll still try to find you a guide for doing it with windows. If not being able to hook up a usb drive is an issue you might want to look at getting a used appletv1. From what I recall they play 720p content just fine (if it is an issue you can order a crystal hd card, but you'll have to ethernet your appletv). The wdlives are nice, but I just prefer xbmc over them sooo much more.

I don't know if you have an iphone or not, but theirs this remote in the app store that is like 3 bucks or so. It is awesome and I use it in my room for playing music. I have my stereo system hooked up to my tv so being able to just select music with my iphone is pretty damn nice. Also, I don't know if you've ever used icefilms, but you can use it straight from xbmc. It is kinda a pain in the ass to either download nightly shows (colbert, etc...) or even weekly shows. Well, or taking the time to setup an rss then something to auto-delete them after a period of time (I don't really rewatch many shows). Icefilms is pretty nice because its basically just a huge directory of movies/tv shows that is updated on the reg and tv shows/most movies are dvd-quality. You just wait 45seconds for megaupload bullshit and it starts playing. If you don't have xbmc installed on your computer I'd really give it a try. Also, install the icefilms plugin fo xbmc to see how you would like that. You'll end up fucking sold on it.

@ACE

I'm sure you already know, but just making sure. Your xbox with xbmc won't be able to play 720p content so just a headsup. Although, check out icefilms on the xbox if you have not already as it is pretty nice for beefing up a media center experience if you have not already. If you don't wanna buy any new shit, but do wanna play 720p/1080p content on your tv perhaps hide the microatx computer? I don't know what kinda setup you have going on, but using an iphone (I believe android aswell although I've never used the xbmc app on it) you can just use that as a remote while keeping the computer hidden. YOU KNOW YOU WANT BEAUTIFUL HD CONTENT ACE.
DYTDMFBSB?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I'm using my iPhone 4 as a remote as we speak. It's pretty sweet, though not ideal as it's my primary phone.

zz, not sure why I thought XBMC did 720p. I'll probably just go with an Apple TV. I love the size/form factor and the price is decent.

I've tried a few more DVDs in my Wii as well and the results were pretty good. It actually seemed better than the blu ray, but it could just be placebo. I guess it was just that Planet Earth DVD. Ah well, I was planning on rebuying as part of the Life/Planet Earth blu ray box set anyways.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

not just souLLy now wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Do you have a 360? Because a 360 does all of that as well.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Just to clarify something. The ps3/360 are a good bit more shit than the wd live and especially more shit than xbmc/boxee/plex. The 360/ps3 are pretty limited in what formats they support with out using a program that will transcode on the fly which decreases quality.

edit: @souLLy, hey just wondering if you've checked out any custom firmware for the wdlive? IIRC, it is mostly cosmetic stuff, but you should still give it a look. I think you would enjoy it.
DYTDMFBSB?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Zealous zerotype wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Just to clarify something. The ps3/360 are a good bit more shit than the wd live and especially more shit than xbmc/boxee/plex. The 360/ps3 are pretty limited in what formats they support with out using a program that will transcode on the fly which decreases quality.

edit: @souLLy, hey just wondering if you've checked out any custom firmware for the wdlive? IIRC, it is mostly cosmetic stuff, but you should still give it a look. I think you would enjoy it.
Yeah I picked up the WDTVL as I'd found the XBox streaming a bit too limited in the formats it accepted (h264 being the main one) and I didn't want to have to do any transcoding or conversions. I did a bunch of research and it was between the WDTVL and a Popcorn Hour, this being hella cheaper and not really missing any major features I wanted (literally the only feature I'd have liked to have had that this lacks so far is the ability to play DVD ISOs with menus, the WDTVL just plays the main feature).

I'd spotted a few things about custom firmware when I was researching media streamers but I didn't look properly, I'll check it out :)
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

You know, I'm not 100%, but I think that the wdlive custom firmware might actually support dvd iso. IIRC, it is a licensing thing that keeps it from the official firmware. Either way, just look into it MR. FANCY PANTS.
DYTDMFBSB?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected