What's your specs?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What's your specs?

Post by Lartrak »

Code-Red wrote:
Lartrak wrote:I'm a little behind the curve (two years).

HP DVD+-RW burner
Antec 902 case (hey, it's very durable and has decent cooling, and ended up being under $100)
Western Digital 640 GB SATA HDD @ 7200 RPM
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X mobo
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (with a CoolerMaster Hyper212 Plus on it)
G.SKILL Ripjaws @ PC3 12800 (in theory - mobo doesn't like these at full speed, never totally stable, so they're running slower unfortunately)
Antec TruePower TP750W Power Supply
EVGA GTX260 core 216 SuperClocked Edition

Anyone have thoughts on how I'd do with newer games? Only PC game I've played that's less than a year old is Deus Ex, which is very playable but doesn't run perfect... Think I'd be pretty OK if I just upgraded the video card.
Depends on your definition of "playable". Personally, I play PC games because I want the best... best graphics, best performance. Me personally, I'd say that the 260 needs to go. It's very aged, and while it will run a majority of games decently, it won't run new games on high or above settings very well, and you will run into issues because of lack of VRAM on the card (I'm guessing it's 1GB?).

As Jeeba said, pick up a 6950 2GB, they can be had for roughly $210-220 now. Try to keep an eye out on the comments section of the card you're buying, as not all 6950's unlock. Jeeba probably bought his a while ago, I bought one a week or so ago and lucked out that mine unlocks (probably because I bought it at a local shop, it'd probably sat on the shelf for a while).

As for the rest of your system, you're great. Games these days use very little CPU resources, as most of the intense graphic and AI work has been shifted to the GPU. I'd overclock your 955 a little, try to hit 3.8-4.0Ghz, if you can't on a 212 grab a Corsair H40 or H60. As far as RAM, what you have is good, and as long as you have a minimum of 4GB you're fine. If your motherboard is slowing down the timings or speed of the RAM, replace your board.

Like most of PC building, it all depends on how cushy your wallet is, and what you're after. There is a lot you could do with your system without breaking the bank and replacing everything, but at the same time if you dont expect the best out of it, it's fine how it is.
Thanks for the info. I've been tempted to try overclocking the 955 as I do video editing of AVCHD video, which chugs on practically anything with the editor I use (Vegas Pro). Might try that a little latter.

It's just been hard to justify with the money issues I've had lately, not to mention I've been meaning to get a PS3 forever, and I'll probably do that first. I'll get there though. Glad they're loading more and more onto the video cards... That does make things way better. In general, PC gaming seems to be a lot better now than a few years back as far as forced upgrades and costs go. Maybe the influence of consoles?

Me personally, I like PC stuff primarily for certain multiplayer games and genres I don't like much on consoles (strategy and FPS games). If I can run the graphics better than on a console, great, but high frame rates (I'd prefer around 60 almost all the time if I can help it) are my major concern 95% of the time.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I'm running Eyefinity too, however I have it off unless I'm playing games that support it properly. It's a real bitch scrolling the mouse across three screens to do something menial like launching a program.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Code-Red wrote:I'm running Eyefinity too, however I have it off unless I'm playing games that support it properly. It's a real bitch scrolling the mouse across three screens to do something menial like launching a program.

Word. When I'm playing The Old Republic, the other screens are for Netflix and google.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

Desktop:
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Coolermaster elite 310
Coolermaster extreme power plus 550w
gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
AMD phenom 2 720 Black Edition triple core (unlocked 4th core, and overclocked to 3ghz)
Coolermaster hyper TX3 cpu heatsink
Corsair 8GB 1333 DDR3
HIS 4850 1GB
OCZ vertex 2 120GB SSD
2 seagate 7200RPM sata3 barricuda's
2 seagate 7200RPM sata2 barricuda's
LG bluray burner
Benq G2400WT 1920 x 1200
Microsoft sidewinder X4 keyboard (after 2 logitech g15's)
Logitech G5 mouse
Razer goliathus control mousepad
Sony STR-K785 5.1 home cinema speakers
Its a year older than this thread, and aside from the videocard, kicking along nicely.

laptop:
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
Acer Aspire 5536
AMD athlon 64 dual core 2.1 ghz
ATI 3200HD 512 MB
15.6 inch 1366 x 768
4 GB DDR2
320 GB HDD
dual layer dvd burner
Its 3 months older than this thread, and can do everything the desktop does except for gaming.

now you're up to speed
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

ian wrote:HIS 4850 1GB

LOL KILL YOURSELF
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

The radeon 4850 is a good enough card even today. The ~5 or so games that would suffer with 4x anti-aliasing at 1080p barely seem to maintain a 10-15fps advantage on newer cards in the $150 price range (6850 etc according to most reviews online).
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

HD 3870 and it still plays everything fine. AMD 5400+ BE Dual Core @ 3.2ghz 2GB ram (i know that is kinda low)
neogeofan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by neogeofan »

AMD Phenom II x4 960t unlocked to x6 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
2x 4GB GSKILL Ripjaws X 1600mhz
Corsair H100
Corsair 600t SE
bunch of crap hard drives and optical drive

Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

neogeofan wrote:AMD Phenom II x4 960t unlocked to x6 @ 4ghz
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
2x 4GB GSKILL Ripjaws X 1600mhz
Corsair H100
Corsair 600t SE
bunch of crap hard drives and optical drive

we're case bros, bro.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

nymus wrote:The radeon 4850 is a good enough card even today. The ~5 or so games that would suffer with 4x anti-aliasing at 1080p barely seem to maintain a 10-15fps advantage on newer cards in the $150 price range (6850 etc according to most reviews online).

lol Depends on your definition of good enough. I'd rather play on a console than have to turn down every single graphical setting. I went from dual 5770s to 6970s a year ago because they were already showing age, especially being that they were lower-tier from the start. I'm not being a snob anyway, my post on the matter was dickhead-sarcasm. The majority of my time is spent on Total War, so having everything maxed with the largest unit sizes enabled, plus mods, is a necessity for me. Doing all of that at 120 FPS currently on Shogun II. 8-)
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

nymus wrote:The radeon 4850 is a good enough card even today. The ~5 or so games that would suffer with 4x anti-aliasing at 1080p barely seem to maintain a 10-15fps advantage on newer cards in the $150 price range (6850 etc according to most reviews online).
Around 5? I think your numbers are a little off. Not only that, but there are a bevy of options besides AA that would make the 4850 crawl to a snails pace: draw distance, AI, physics, shadow algorithms, list goes on... If you look at Tom's GPU Index in gamer settings (usually 1680x1050, little to no AA, medium settings) the 4850/4870 is generally 20-50fps lower than the 6850.

On one hand I'm not going to say it's a bad card, on the other I'd say its definitely not capable of running games "good enough". Although, like Jeeba stated, its subjective. How smoothly I want the game to run and what eye candy I expect may be different than anothers.
neogeofan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by neogeofan »

A 4850 isn't THAT bad if you aren't playing at 1080p. If you are playing 720p or lower on medium settings it'll still play alright. I knew someone playing recent games on a 4650 1GB (DDR2 model, which is super slow in terms of memory bandwidth) and it wasn't horrible.

Also I prettied up all the cables in my case but I don't have a picture handy. I mounted the H100 in a push configuration with the cool air blowing into the case from the top grill. I mounted the fans inside the area under the pop off top. I cut the built in fan grill out between the fans and the radiator and also did the same for the front 200mm fan. It helps to eliminate a lot of the whooshing noise and increases the airflow.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Like I said my 3870 still plays everything I've tried. Game I currently have installed are

Just Cause 2
Driver San Francisco
Dirt 3
Saints Row 3
Sonic Generations
L.A. Noire
Mafia 2
NFS Hot Pursuit
Fable 3
Simcity 3000 (No slowdown at all!!!! :lol: )

Now I'm not trying to deny that the card is old and I really need to upgrade. Just haven't had the cash, I hopefully will be able to upgrade in the next month or so.

I need a full upgrade. I've bought my CPU back in August 2008 and my 3870 in March 2009
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Just got all the parts for my new HTPC up and running today. I'm typing this while waiting for drivers to download for the thing, so it's not up to full power yet.

Intel i5 2500K air cooled with a Cooler Master Vortex Pro (since I don't plan to overclock)
Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM (2x4GB)
Asus P8Z68 Gen 3 Motherboard
XFX HD 6850
MSI HD 6850 as the Crossfire board
Corsair TX650M power supply
Corsair Force Series 3 90GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Lite-On iHAS 124B DVD Burner

All hooked up via HDMI through my Denon sound system to my admittedly aging 42" LCD 720P TV. Unfortunately, though, my old media center style case doesn't fit everything. The new power supply is almost an inch longer than the last and actually overlaps where the video card goes, so I'm forced to order a bigger case. Not exactly thrilled about that, since I don't think it will fit under the TV stand anymore. Until I pick up a new case, the power supply is unfortunately just sitting on top of the chassis.

Still, it should be a nice system. The last build lasted me almost 4 years with only a couple of video card swaps along the way, so this one should last near that too. Just starting the thing made me feel like I made a huge leap when immediately after POST I was greeted with a 720P BIOS with full mouse support. That took my by surprise for sure. I've been out of the hardware loop too long.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Need to upgrade myself soon, not entirely sure what components I'm gonna be getting yet, because I need to read the labels on the shelf before choosing my pre-built laptop.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Specially Cork wrote:Need to upgrade myself soon, not entirely sure what components I'm gonna be getting yet, because I need to read the labels on the shelf before choosing my pre-built laptop.

MacBook Air!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:Need to upgrade myself soon, not entirely sure what components I'm gonna be getting yet, because I need to read the labels on the shelf before choosing my pre-built laptop.

MacBook Air!
Not sure if serious but I'm thinking Apple. Everything else in my life has become Apple and I like expensive coffee so maybe...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Specially Cork wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

MacBook Air!
Not sure if serious but I'm thinking Apple. Everything else in my life has become Apple and I like expensive coffee so maybe...
I have to say, I've been quite happy with my two MacBook Pros that I've owned (both were the then current 15" model). The first one lasted me a good 4 years, so I figure it was a worthwhile investment. I've had this one for almost two years now and I haven't had any issues with it.

I don't think I'd personally ever get a MacBook Air though... I like having at least a GPU that is programmable with OpenCL and/or CUDA.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I love my MacBook Air.