Fiddler Buys Something Old, Part 33 1/3 (Check My New TV!)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fiddler Buys Something Old, Part 33 1/3 (Check My New TV!)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eviltaco64X wrote:I applaud your ability to track down stylish art deco electronics. Everytime I look into anything like that for sale, it's ridiculously overpriced.

At least auctions are great for that kind of thing, though.
It really all depends on what you're looking for. Decide what you want, start learning about it (a great way to start is just by vigorously reading through both eBay listings--to get a feel of price, what's important in determining value, and what the different varieties are), and then keep an eye out. Extensive comparison-shopping is one of the fastest ways to become an informed consumer. Another good source is that many antiques have hobbies built around them, and finding a relevant message board will help you learn a lot more.

On a related note, I actually did get a new toy:

They're from either the late 20s or the 30s, and they do work (though the sound quality obviously doesn't compare to modern technology). I'm torn between keeping them functionally as is and just doing a physical clean-up/restoration, and removing the crude (but robustly built) original and replacing it with something modern and better sounding.

On the one hand, they did manage to make it through nearly a century and still work just the way they did when they were first assembled, due in large part to simple-but-solid design which more sensitive modern equipment could not hope to duplicate in terms of durability. It would kind of be a shame to bust something like that up.

On the other hand, these early headphones use a very crude reproduction mechanism, and sound quality is somewhere between a telephone call and a good AM broadcast. Not exactly the most useful thing, given how much sound quality has improved in the intervening decades. Replacing the original permanent-magnet apparatus with modern headphone drivers would still give the old-world style while providing something that's actually worth listening to.

Whatever I do, though, I have to find more. I spent a few hours with them plugged into my iPod the other day (via a makeshift adapter), trying out different types of music. My girlfriend saw me wearing them, and absolutely insists on having a pair of her own. Maybe I can find some broken ones that I wouldn't feel as bad about gutting.